• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Waxwing Thread

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Waxwings.

03 March 2021, across the street from our house. All are Bohemians save one Cedar (the smaller, yellowish individual at roughly 11 o'clock).
:cool:
They really have expertise with partying on that tree, even on the slants (10,000-hour rule) :D

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's funny is I sold off my 2 Budgies and Puffin last week with no intention of buying the Waxwing. But when I saw the price was $499 I went ahead and ordered. I thought for sure they were going to be a hundred more. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
If you don't mind my asking (and I couldn't DM you to do so privately), what does a Puffin sell for these days?

GPJ

If you don't mind my asking (and I couldn't DM you to do so privately), what does a Puffin sell for these days?

I sold mine on USAudiomart for $480 but I included an E30 DAC with it. There were 4 people that hit me up so there is a market for it. Maybe start at $450 there. Total cost including shipping and FF paypal. USPS Priority flat rate box insured is about $25.

Waxwing was to my door for $511 from Shannon ... USPS Priority ...... the deal worked well for me.

FWIW, I haven't had any issues with the app or the Bluetooth connectivity in my listening area.

Last edited:

GPJ

The form factor of the Puffin was always a turnoff for me. I like this little box.

It caught me off guard how small it is. Photos of it by itself seem to indicate it being a bit larger, but using the D30 Pro as a reference in my prior post shows it.

Prana Ferox

It caught me off guard how small it is. Photos of it by itself seem to indicate it being a bit larger, but using the D30 Pro as a reference in my prior post shows it.
Yeah, it's almost into "Too small, the cables will pull it around" territory

GPJ

The rubber ends he selected for the case are grippy. It stays put on the DAC nicely.

Last edited:

LewisWaddo

I’ve moved over to the Waxwing from the Puffin. Would love to see some measurements as to how it performs. To my ear it’s the same as the Puffin, but with the better form factor and convenience of remote operation. I’m particularly interested in the PEQ filter. If anyone has a resource for its implementation and settings, I would be very grateful. I hear it can remove baked in mains hum from records. I have a Detroit Cobras record that has terrible AC hum, and would like to get rid of it!

OP
Middle Earth

Middle Earth

I’ve moved over to the Waxwing from the Puffin. Would love to see some measurements as to how it performs. To my ear it’s the same as the Puffin, but with the better form factor and convenience of remote operation. I’m particularly interested in the PEQ filter. If anyone has a resource for its implementation and settings, I would be very grateful. I hear it can remove baked in mains hum from records. I have a Detroit Cobras record that has terrible AC hum, and would like to get rid of it!
You should check out the Facebook page
You can just comment randomly but can get a comment in on the posts
Lot of good info there especially on updates

dtaylo1066

Been contemplating one as only a scant few DACs or Streamers have an analog in. I am no vinyl purist so I will gladly take the DSP features.

mike70

Anybody knows about the internal ADC in this preamp?

desutruction

Here it is on top of a miniDSP Flex and pushed way back. It's very compact.

waxwing_flex.jpg

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Is the purpose of this device to make vinyl LPs sound more like CDs? If so, I will consider getting one.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Is the purpose of this device to make vinyl LPs sound more like CDs? If so, I will consider getting one.

I don't think that is the idea. What you get is a very accurate RIAA with the ability to fine tune things to your taste if you want. Gives you record ripping capability along with a host of other functions. Download the app and look at what you get.

mmi

This looks amazing! What is the deal with ripping records, could I ditch my audio interface and still capture at 24 bit 44.1?

I’d assume the ADC in this is going to be more than good enough. For comparison right now I have a Behringer 202HD and NAD PP2e and hate all the cables.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
This looks amazing! What is the deal with ripping records, could I ditch my audio interface and still capture at 24 bit 44.1?

I’d assume the ADC in this is going to be more than good enough. For comparison right now I have a Behringer 202HD and NAD PP2e and hate all the cables.

I have not got around to ripping yet. You will need one of these to convert optical to USB.

I have one - have not tried it yet, but it is on my list of things to do. Sample rate outputs of the Waxwing are 24 bit at 48 KHZ or 96 KHZ. I use 24/96 into my Schiit and am completely satisfied by ear. I don't know which resolution for recording I'll use - obviously save some storage at 48 KHZ. For MP3 files - to use in the car - I use dbPoweramp to convert WAV to MP3 at 320 bitrate with great results.

Reactions: mmi
Top Bottom