• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The search for atmos/height speakers

delta76

Major Contributor
I am at lost, is there a good, cost effective Atmos/height speakers out there. I sold my Focal Dome Flax due to the abysmal review a couple of months ago. I can however not afford the KEF R8 Meta - I would rather spend less than 500 EUR/pair. If someone has suggestions for something that can be purchased in EU, I'm thankful.

OldTimer

Dolby license is expensive but usually big manufacturers such as Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc can sell the licensed speaker cheaply.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF Q50a? No spin data, but I think KEF are a reasonably safe bet. I have 2 pairs of Q50a and can't really fault them.

jcarys

If all you need are heights, there's no need to be picky. There is not a ton of sound that goes to those speakers, and almost no bass (which you should route to your sub anyway). I bought the least expensive decent speakers I could find, mainly because they are small and easy to mount. I don't know if SVS does business in Europe, but I've been quite happy with the Prime Elevation model, which list for $499 a pair in the US. I ended up with four of them.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Did you dislike how the speaker sounded as well ?
Not really. I barely heard it - that's the problem (i.e. I get very little "height channels" sound from them), and the bad measurements were the final nails to the coffin.

Last edited:
OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Dolby license is expensive but usually big manufacturers such as Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc can sell the licensed speaker cheaply.
No, DA license is something with the AVR/AVP, not the speakers. Many manufacturers say their speakers are atmos compatible but that means literally nothing (maybe except that "this is meant for height channels so don't expect much about it). There is no such thing as "Dolby licensed speakers".

With that said I would still like a decent (if not good) cheap speaker if possible

OldTimer

No, DA license is something with the AVR/AVP, not the speakers. Many manufacturers say their speakers are atmos compatible but that means literally nothing (maybe except that "this is meant for height channels so don't expect much about it). There is no such thing as "Dolby licensed speakers".

With that said I would still like a decent (if not good) cheap speaker if possible
What I mean is active speaker such as soundbar.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
@delta76 you could gamble on a pair of Polk ES10, based on the measurements of its bigger brother the ES20: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...re-elite-es20-review-bookshelf-speaker.33834/

The ES10 has a built-in 1/4" thread for easy mounting.
I am actually eyeing Polk Reserve R900. They can be used as up firing if I am lazy, and probably mounted with less trouble than ES10/ES20. Living in a apartment with brick wall and cement ceiling definitely has drawbacks :)

Godataloss

I am actually eyeing Polk Reserve R900. They can be used as up firing if I am lazy, and probably mounted with less trouble than ES10/ES20. Living in a apartment with brick wall and cement ceiling definitely has drawbacks :)
Actually cement ceiling is quite easy to mount things to and to patch when you are going to move out. Lead anchors are easy to install and remove and hold a ton of weight.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
KEF Q50a? No spin data, but I think KEF are a reasonably safe bet. I have 2 pairs of Q50a and can't really fault them.
A bit more than I would like to spend, but I'll keep an eye on them
Actually cement ceiling is quite easy to mount things to and to patch when you are going to move out. Lead anchors are easy to install and remove and hold a ton of weight.
interesting - the biggest problem is actually drilling as I don't have an impact drill

Godataloss

A bit more than I would like to spend, but I'll keep an eye on them

interesting - the biggest problem is actually drilling as I don't have an impact drill
You don't really need an impact drill if you have a decent masonry bit and don't burn it up. I have one, but 9/10 I just use my 12v Dewalt electric unless I need the larger chuck. Go slow and steady. Get 2 bits and when one gets hot, put it in a glass of ice water and use the other. If precision is important drill a pilot hole.

Top Bottom