• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The problem with Audyssey Dynamic EQ

Should Audyssey add new Dynamic EQ settings?

• Total voters

Joost80

Dynamic Eq which I started using is a couple of weeks ago is off again and stays off. Was playing Resident evil 4 remake during the rainy parts of the game and was wondering why my surrounds sounded tonally a bit different. The rain was coming from all the speakers. Turned Dynamic Eq off and every speaker sounded tonally the same again. There was also, don't know how to say it in another way, more rain noticeable, and extra layer, more transparent so to speak, with dynamic eq off. I used a - 3,5 dB setting for dynamic eq to get the surround levels equal to the front stage. What a mess. So off for me.

Reactions: OCA

SenseOfScience

Getting back to the subject of this thread, the word is that in an upcoming update to MQX, it will give you the option to use DEQ without changing the levels of the surrounds. Finally!
I guess this never came to pass? It seems like it would be trivial to allow using DEQ without mucking with the surround levels. It's way over the top with the surround boost and is legitimately uncomfortable when gaming.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess this never came to pass? It seems like it would be trivial to allow using DEQ without mucking with the surround levels. It's way over the top with the surround boost and is legitimately uncomfortable when gaming.
It's possible to tame Dynamic EQ boosts with just the Multeq Editor app at least for the level you generally listen to your system:

SenseOfScience

It's possible to tame Dynamic EQ boosts with just the Multeq Editor app at least for the level you generally listen to your system:

Thanks for the link. I actually just bought the app yesterday in hopes of taming so will definitely give it a watch.

GREM

Quick and dirty Home Assistant script to adjust rear channels levels to compensate DynEQ volume boost.

Script
alias: Denon Rear Volume mode: restart icon: mdi:volume-source sequence: - repeat: for_each: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR - TRL - TRR sequence: - service: denonavr.get_command data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CV{{ repeat.item }}%20{{ adjvol }} target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500

UI Buttons
type: horizontal-stack title: Rear Channels Volume cards: - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_rear_volume data: adjvol: DOWN name: Down icon: mdi:volume-minus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: denonavr.get_command target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500 data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CVZRL name: Reset icon: mdi:volume-equal - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_rear_volume data: adjvol: UP name: Up icon: mdi:volume-plus

This solution helps to adjust the channels levels for all rear speakers with one button.
Of course, it could be tied with the master volume level via automation

Attachments

• изображение_2023-10-13_200057169.png
    изображение_2023-10-13_200057169.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 63

OCA

Forum Donor
Quick and dirty Home Assistant script to adjust rear channels levels to compensate DynEQ volume boost.

Script
alias: Denon Rear Volume mode: restart icon: mdi:volume-source sequence: - repeat: for_each: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR - TRL - TRR sequence: - service: denonavr.get_command data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CV{{ repeat.item }}%20{{ adjvol }} target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500

UI Buttons
type: horizontal-stack title: Rear Channels Volume cards: - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_rear_volume data: adjvol: DOWN name: Down icon: mdi:volume-minus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: denonavr.get_command target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500 data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CVZRL name: Reset icon: mdi:volume-equal - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_rear_volume data: adjvol: UP name: Up icon: mdi:volume-plus

This solution helps to adjust the channels levels for all rear speakers with one button.
Of course, it could be tied with the master volume level via automation
This is brilliant. The boost for top speakers and surrounds are different. Can you implement that, too?

GREM

This is brilliant. The boost for top speakers and surrounds are different. Can you implement that, too?
Yeah.. I also noticed difference as soon as I started to adjust values.

Anyway, I don't have dedicated setup and enough experience with REW to do a proper measurements. I use DTS-X Callout demo, interactive DTS Unbound app on Xbox, my ears and published measurements, like the one in the first post, to make an assumptions.

I think boost applied something like I painted.
Measurements from 0db to -50db MLV with 5db steps would grately help to understand the pattern, but it will take a tremendous amount of time to gather such data.

Split Tops and Surrounds? Sure, why not

alias: Denon Levels Volume mode: restart icon: mdi:volume-source sequence: - repeat: for_each: "{{ avr_speakers }}" sequence: - service: denonavr.get_command data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CV{{ repeat.item }}%20{{ adjvol }} target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500

type: horizontal-stack title: Rear Channels Volume cards: - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: DOWN avr_speakers: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR - TRL - TRR target: {} name: All Down icon: mdi:volume-minus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: 45 avr_speakers: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR - TRL - TRR target: {} name: All -5db icon: mdi:volume-equal - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: denonavr.get_command target: entity_id: media_player.avr_4500 data: command: /goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?CVZRL name: All 0db icon: mdi:volume-equal - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: UP avr_speakers: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR - TRL - TRR target: {} name: All Up icon: mdi:volume-plus type: horizontal-stack cards: - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: DOWN avr_speakers: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR target: {} name: Surr Down icon: mdi:volume-minus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: UP avr_speakers: - SL - SR - SBL - SBR target: {} name: Surr Up icon: mdi:volume-plus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: DOWN avr_speakers: - TRL - TRR target: {} name: Top Down icon: mdi:volume-minus - show_name: true show_icon: true type: button tap_action: action: call-service service: script.denon_levels_volume data: adjvol: UP avr_speakers: - TRL - TRR target: {} name: Top Up icon: mdi:volume-plus

Attachments

• изображение_2023-10-14_113606273.png
    изображение_2023-10-14_113606273.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 48
  • изображение_2023-10-14_123925961.png
    изображение_2023-10-14_123925961.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

OCA

Forum Donor
I wonder if running such a script would be possible with IOS Shortcuts and Homekit.

GREM

I wonder if running such a script would be possible with IOS Shortcuts and Homekit.
I'm not familiar with Shortcuts or Homekit...
Can it call a url?
Because in the nutshell script just call urls
Like this one to open the Channels levels menu
http://<AVR_IP>:8080/goform/formiPhoneAppDirect.xml?MNCHL

RocShemp

Overall I'm quite happy with what DEQ does to the frequency response (boosting bass and the high end); but I don't like what it does to the surround channel levels. I just made some measurements with different Dynamic EQ settings to confirm my impression that it boosts the surround channels too much.
(Please ignore the generally lumpy response - this isn't about that and I realised that my minidsp sub settings were messed up part way through).

For the centre and front channels the level of the mid frequencies remains fairly constant with different DEQ settings.
View attachment 223961

View attachment 223958

But for the surround channels it also boosts the overall level...
View attachment 223959

The situation is even worse when listening at lower levels...
View attachment 223960

In the kHz range I think the level should stay roughly where the black line (DEQ off) is. With the DEQ set at 0dB offset it boosts the surrounds by at least 6dB, relative to the fronts.

I assume this is how it is intended to operate (and not an implementation error in my Denon AVC-X receiver). But for me, since I sit a lot closer to the surrounds than the front speakers the boosted surrounds are pretty obnoxious.

For quiet listening in the evening the surrounds are close to me and louder. If I set volume based on the surrounds the centre channel is too quiet - reducing dialogue intelligibility (a common problem). Alternatively if I set volume based on the centre channel I get blasted by loud music and effects from the surrounds, eg when the adverts come on.

Edit: Added poll
Based on your measurements, setting the offset to 15dB gets you to closest to volume levels with DEQ turned off. I've done that sometimes, as it comes in handy when I want to also use DVol to tame sounds spikes in some movies (I'm looking at you, Christopher Nolan).

Top Bottom