• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The precedence effekt - very important för the sound enthusiast

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While spaciousness is a sense of the size of the space (i.e. the boundaries) the directional cue is still solid. There is too much and too weak signals in the reflections to override the directional information of the first arriving main sound. The tries I made was with damping panels covering a large area behind the speaker, but leaving a reflective space between the speakers where the TV was. Those panels were DIY (95 mm rock wool covered with perforated masonite and then a layer of 40 mm foamy material (typical studio room material). The main result was a more dynamic sound, more silence when it should be silent, more details, cleaner, and "calmer" sound. As if the music was a bit slower in pace. Also, there was a better sense of the venue stretching far behind the front wall, probably because of more details in the recording was heard (when the microphone technique used was right). I could also crank up the volume more than I used to. The experiments I made with treating side-walls did not give those sensations, which I just believe was due the precedence effect. The ear just locked on of every detail that was coming from the front wall/phantom image.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There was no precedence effect
I don't quite follow you. The precedence effect is always there. It's a description of the conditions for fusion and localization in the hearing system.

Top Bottom