• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The "Have People Criticize Your Own Photos" thread

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The first one is great. You made something that could be boring very attractive with careful use of perspective, and lighting. I would maybe crop the extreme right with that colorful umbrella.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On the subject of birds, good glass and high speed photo. Nikon D90 and my old Nikon AF-S 180mm f/2.8. I have it as a canvas in the living room as well.
DSC_0177.jpg

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Here I upload two pictures... they belong to my city's waterfront.
I like them both, but the are a few things I would do, all about what you want to show. (Mostly down to personal preference)
I've taken the liberty to crop them both a bit, I hope you don't mind. The first felt like it's all about the bridge, so I've focused on that. The second is more about the seaside so I tried to emphasize that.
2_DSC5687.jpg
1_DSC1343.jpg

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Enough with the birds already.

img_1319.jpg

105 mm, 1/6 s handheld panning. Thank goodness for stabilisers.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Birds, bridges and boats, this thread is Biased.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Need more things that starts with b as in bugs.
DSC_7598.jpg

imGamba

This is a more interesting shot. There's a balance on the colors between the flower and the background but the bug's color contrast very well. Also well framed.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Here I upload two pictures... they belong to my city's waterfront.
The first one is the most recently took.
Nikon D500 - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 - At f/9, 1/60 sec., ISO 160, 18mm. Edited on Capture One, retouched on Photoshop.
The second one was taken in 2014.
Nikon D7000 - Kit, 18-105mm - At f/4.5, 1/2000 sec, ISO 100, 18mm. Edited on Lightroom, retouched on Photoshop.
The last photo was on my beginnings.

Comment, criticize, suggest...

The first one I really really like. Honestly I wouldn’t change it at all. Everything clicks as is for me. I wouldn’t crop or edit on the left or the right. There’s just enough on either side to make the picture that much more engaging to me and keep the eye moving. Just goes to show you how subjective these decisions can be.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Bubblegum. Taken indoors with a cheap compact 1/2.3" (tiny) sensor camera at 1/4 second (!) at f 4.5 (that's as fast as the lens on that camera gets at this focal length) at ISO 800. I know, technical quality is awful, but the best camera is the one you have with you. I got the shot. I was between a rock and hard place. I liked the way she blew bubbles so I asked if I could take a picture. You can see me in her sunglasses.
bubblegum-.jpg

Last edited:

imGamba

Bubblegum. Taken indoors with a cheap compact 1/2.3" (tiny) sensor camera at 1/4 second (!) at f 4.5 (that's as fast as the lens on that camera gets at this focal length) at ISO 800. I know, technical quality is awful, but the best camera is the one you have with you. I got the shot. I was between a rock and hard place. I liked the way she blew bubbles so I asked if I could take a picture. You can see me in her sunglasses.

View attachment 28835

What are your intentions with photography?

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
What are your intentions with photography?

It's a hobby. I have some "serious" pictures and some much nicer gear but I cut myself a lot of slack because I want it to be fun. I don't want it to interfere with my enjoyment of whatever is going on. I take the little small-sensor camera in my left front pocket wherever I go. I have pictures dating back to 2000 (when my first son was born and I restarted photography with the advent of digital gear cheap enough for normal people) and I look back at them and smile and the endorphins get going. I do try to constantly learn and improve though. Some of my better pictures are hanging on the wall at home.

Last edited:
OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Butterfly! (Yes, that's all my original content and my deranged sense of humor.)
giant butterfly attacks skylon tower small-.jpg

Top Bottom