• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Florida International Audio Expo 2024

MKR

Major Contributor
I appear to be the old fart (or maybe old curmudgeon is a much better adjective) in the group, by far ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My tentative plan is to go to AXPONA as it is the largest audio show currently and is closer to us.
\/\/\/
Audio Expo North America (*AXPONA*)
APRIL 12-14, 2024
Schaumburg Convention Center | Chicago, IL
Close? But no cigar!
The abbreviation *AXPONA* sure sounds like some kind of an infection..., or an Rx for one, thereof! :facepalm:
Not that "The Home Entertainment Show (T.H.E. Show) abbreviation used to be much better...
... and I say "used to be" because it appears that there is no scheduling shown on their website for a 2024 "T.H.E. Show" show.

Reactions: MKR

MKR

Major Contributor
Ah what a shame... I doubt I would go to that one as its in Chicago.

I'll be there at least one of the days.
AXPONA is far outside the city if that is your concern. In a nice/convenient area, a lot of fun. I will likely be attending again this year, a great show, albeit plenty of the typical audiophoolery, which for me is quite entertaining and amusing (never attend one of these shows expecting much solid engineering handiwork, which is quite rare at the audio shows and you will be very disappointed … but there are always diamonds in the rough!)

MKR

Major Contributor
\/\/\/

Close? But no cigar!
The abbreviation *AXPONA* sure sounds like some kind of an infection..., or an Rx for one, thereof! :facepalm:
Not that "The Home Entertainment Show (T.H.E. Show) abbreviation used to be much better...
... and I say "used to be" because it appears that there is no scheduling shown on their website for a 2024 "T.H.E. Show" show.
I don’t think there has been a “THE Show” for years, has there? But indeed in its prime it was a great show.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I appear to be the old fart (or maybe old curmudgeon is a much better adjective) in the group, by far ;)
You can ask them to assess the treble for you.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
You can ask them to assess the treble for you.
Keith
LOL! And I need it … my max threshold these days is around 14kHz :( (well above average for my age, but still suffer the inevitable age related HF loss, can’t defeat Father Time)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think there has been a “THE Show” for years, has there?
I recollect that I may have attended the 2023 T.H.E. Show...
I appear to be the old fart (or maybe old curmudgeon is a much better adjective)... ;)
But I plead what @MKR is pleading!:)

MKR

Major Contributor
I recollect that I may have attended the 2023 T.H.E. Show...

But I plead what @MKR is pleading!:)
Ah, sorry ... we have a disconnect. I thought you meant T.H.E. Show in context of CES, which has been defunct now for long time. But indeed, THE Show separated from CES and is now its own entity (which I was aware of)

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
We will be at the show and our room 406, will debut three new products:
1. Starkrimson Mono Premium
2. PecanPi+ Streamer Premium
3. Soundfield Audio 1212OB speakers.

See the full info on the FB event page I have set up here:

Thanks to Qobuz for providing the music, here is my tentative playlist:

Jimster480

Major Contributor

Cool, we will definitely stop by!

MKR

Major Contributor

Looking forward to hearing the Soundfield OBs and checking out that streamer, see you soon!

ErVikingo

Im thinking of going but it’s a 3 hr drive for me. Don’t need anything but enjoy / learn to listen to other systems for context.

OldManMatt

I went last year and had a good time..I felt it was worth the 2 hour round trip and plan to go again this weekend. Very laid back atmosphere and earlier in the day the crowds weren't that bad..easy to get a front row seat somewhere as there are 12 stories/levels full of listening rooms. I don't feel that there is a lot of local/state advertisement for the show.
It's kinda like a car show in that there is a lot of expensive eye candy to look at.

What would be cool is if I had a stack of ASR cards with contact info & descriptions of testing that I could drop off at each room. See who's up for the scrutiny

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I went last year and had a good time..I felt it was worth the 2 hour round trip and plan to go again this weekend. Very laid back atmosphere and earlier in the day the crowds weren't that bad..easy to get a front row seat somewhere as there are 12 stories/levels full of listening rooms. I don't feel that there is a lot of local/state advertisement for the show.
It's kinda like a car show in that there is a lot of expensive eye candy to look at.

What would be cool is if I had a stack of ASR cards with contact info & descriptions of testing that I could drop off at each room. See who's up for the scrutiny
Most of those guys won't send stuff in to be tested as they say that Amir only cares about the new Chifi gear and won't even test their new stuff. Or they say that amir tells them 6mo+ to get a review done which they think is pointless...

My yearly traditional of seeing if I’m the youngest person there. And if any room could play music from this century, that’d be nice (Bad Guy by Billie Eillish and Stronger by London Grammar being the only exceptions, I probably heard each song at least 4 times every year I’ve gone).

Last year was nice though as I got to have quick convos with Andrew Jones, Dan Roemer, etc.
While I can't say I'm a huge fan of the British band Wet Leg, I had never been so thrilled to hear Wet Leg than when I saw their LP in the Pro-Ject room last year.

For those going, you can park for free in the mall parking lot that's across the street since the hotel's garage will likely be full. If you're interested in headphones, I'd just take the elevator straight up to the 14th floor, and work your way down the stairs as the day goes on.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
While I can't say I'm a huge fan of the British band Wet Leg, I had never been so thrilled to hear Wet Leg than when I saw their LP in the Pro-Ject room last year.

For those going, you can park for free in the mall parking lot that's across the street since the hotel's garage will likely be full. If you're interested in headphones, I'd just take the elevator straight up to the 14th floor, and work your way down the stairs as the day goes on.
That's what we did last year!

Reed

Just got back from a really quick run through of the show. Lots of beautiful hardware and speakers. As for what music was being played, the only artist I heard twice was Dylan. Both times, and on different floors, it was the same song, ”Man in the Long Black Coat”. As for what “sounded good” the big TAD room was crowed but impressive. The Focal/Naim rooms were small but sounding nice as well. As for conversation, the rep for Falcon (speakers), gave me an in-depth account of BBC monitors and how Falcon got into that business. I’ve read a number of accounts of the licensed BBC monitors but this was really fascinating.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Some pics of my room.

Attachments

• 20240215_090601.jpg
    20240215_090601.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 20240216_150750.jpg
    20240216_150750.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 170
Top Bottom