• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

the DAC as a relatively new piece of consumer equipment

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
bear with me as this will be a strange one

i've been in this hobby for a relatively long time... i seen the birth of CD which would date some

i knew of the existence of the DAC but say in the 1990s or so, why would you need a consumer dac when your sole source of digital is the CD?

and so I heard of professional dacs and high end ones for $5,000 or so but there wasnt much in the consumer space for this?

even when DVD came around it wasnt a big deal? you used the DACs in your theater receiver?

my first encounter with a truly low end DAC was the Musical Fidelity X-DAC

index.php

mainly because the shape was so distinct... who remembers black boxes anyway?

and so now in the 2010+ the dac has claimed prominence in many setups simply because we have many digital sources in our lives

This thought came about because even 20-25yrs ago the market just wasnt there for this kind of thing and so now we're kind of swept up in it... we think of a system as an amp and a dac or a combo of this sort of thing.

And with this its something the Chinese seem to be very good at? It suits modern electronics as there is no moving parts and you deliver a single board in a box sometimes with even a psu and you're done.

The flipside is that optical media has fallen by the wayside... I remember our group at university was big on Yamaha equipment... cd players amps a/v - which is a bit of reason why I stay away from them now. Not because they are bad but I got rid of every piece of Yamaha I had.

Also I find it kind of funny how my family knows what optical media is but it seems hard to explain to lay people what a DAC actually does and why i keep buying them.

Trell

Major Contributor
My use, for many years, for an external DAC are those with a headphone amp, or is an audio interface. So, for desktop use.

I’ve never owned an external DAC only device, nor do I plan to as I’m unlikely to ever buy a DAC/HP amp stack.

Top Bottom