• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thank you for this site

tensor9

Forum Donor
When I started getting into audio over a year ago, I had no idea the state of the industry. Or maybe it's always been like this?

What I see is a bunch of lost, dishonest, delusional, or just plain incompetent companies selling poorly engineered gear at outrageous prices.

Now that this site is available, even though the library of reviews isn't gigantic just yet (and a few major players have yet to be vetted ;)), at least we have some verified well-engineered products to choose from, knowing our money isn't going to waste!

What would be nice is to grow the site, buy some more analyzers, get some more reviewers, and just chug through all the major players/products on the market.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What would be nice is to grow the site, buy some more analyzers, get some more reviewers, and just chug through all the major players/products on the market.
I like that idea, a modern day Hirsch-Houck Labs ;)

OP
T

tensor9

Forum Donor
Which ones are you thinking of exactly? :cool:

Aesthetix
Auralic (new models)
Ayre
Balanced Audio Technology
Bel Canto
Bob Carver
Bryston
Constellation
Esoteric
Jeff Rowland
Lumin
LUXMAN
Marantz
McIntosh
MoFi
MSB (hahah, why not?)
NAD
Pass Labs
Playback Designs
Prima-Luna
Rogue Audio
Technics

To name a few. :)

A few of these, some of their older models, have been tested.
Some of these, like Auralic, we know engineer great devices, but I'd like to see a comparative analysis of price/performance ratio for some the more expensive brands--to see exactly what you're getting for your money.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I'd like to see a comparative analysis of price/performance ratio for some the more expensive brands--to see exactly what you're getting for your money.

Well, I think it's safe to assume that if a DAC, for instance, cost over ~$500 (this is inline with Topping's and SMSL's top offerings) it's going to be a rip off. For a power amplifier that figure would be $1,500 to ~$3,000 - Hypex DIY and Benchmark AHB2. For a streamer that would be $35 to ~$500 - Chromecast Audio and PecanPi. All of these have been reviewed here, and found to be excellent, which is why I'm using them as references.

When we get into things like integrated amps it gets a bit more complex as there's a feature set that needs to be considered. Oh, and $10K custom computers as media players and servers are definitely highway robbery!

Personally I don't even look at boutique brands. For one thing, I'm not willing to spend the kind of money they usually ask for, and two, I don't trust them. After the behavior of TotalDAC and PS Audio upon having their products analyzed here, and found to be deficient, I've got even more reasons not to. However, even before that I was distrustful as I'd come across the marketing and found it to have all the hallmarks of a confidence game... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom