• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Temp of Benchmark DAC3?

12Many

How hot should the DAC3 run during normal use? Mine DAC3 is hotter then the AHB2 amp. They are side by side in a cabinet. Lots of space on the side and top, the front is open to the room. I measured the temp of the DAC and it was about 102. Amp was about 98. Room was about 78. Does this seem reasonable? My system has not been sounding as good of late but it could be my ears. Thanks.

rgpit

Forum Donor
How hot should the DAC3 run during normal use? Mine DAC3 is hotter then the AHB2 amp. They are side by side in a cabinet. Lots of space on the side and top, the front is open to the room. I measured the temp of the DAC and it was about 102. Amp was about 98. Room was about 78. Does this seem reasonable? My system has not been sounding as good of late but it could be my ears. Thanks.
I would contact Benchmark. They will give you the best answer.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I measured the temp of the DAC and it was about 102.

My DAC2 HGC reads 102 on the top of the case, and probably has for 10 years (always on).

I don't worry about it.

Sutton

My DAC 3 HGC runs hot too, but doesn't appear to affect sound quality.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How hot should the DAC3 run during normal use? Mine DAC3 is hotter then the AHB2 amp.

Same here. I think its normal. The amp, BTW, has massive heat sinks. With fairly sensitive loudspeakers mine never gets much above room temp. DAC3 HGC is always warmer.

Owl

I have the same two units and my experience is like yours. Just guessing here, but if you listen to the DAC you can hear the power supply, but not the amplifier. Clearly a completely different design for obvious reasons.

OP

12Many

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback.

Top Bottom