• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is one good report.

I wonder, why don’t the press do such reports. Last time I checked, the press complained about dwindling end-customer base.
Because it does not engage the audience and does not increase sponsorship, possibly decreasing sponsorship.

People do not want to have to learn what a graph might mean, in Audio they prefer to relate to the subjective impressions of a reviewer. Audio to the masses is knowledge ‘someone else has’ to be referenced and revered but never to be challenged unless they realise what they reckon is just as valid then they frequent forums and wax lyrical till the cows come home.

It’s a world that’s being built where no one can be wrong, the world of Audio.. knowledge is no longer required, proof well that’s a very old currency indeed.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Because it does not engage the audience and does not increase sponsorship, possibly decreasing sponsorship.

People do not want to have to learn what a graph might mean, in Audio they prefer to relate to the subjective impressions of a reviewer. Audio to the masses is knowledge ‘someone else has’ to be referenced and revered but never to be challenged unless they realise what they reckon is just as valid then they frequent forums and wax lyrical till the cows come home.

It’s a world that’s being built where no one can be wrong, the world of Audio.. knowledge is no longer required, proof well that’s a very old currency indeed.

The charts and tables could easily be standardized on a 1-100 scale for a wider audience.

I think the lack of intelligent reports in the press is a complicated issue, where a wider discussion would need to look at ethics, moral and such difficult stuff too.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is one good report.

I wonder, why don’t the press do such reports. Last time I checked, the press complained about dwindling end-customer base.

The Japanese high-end magazine Audio Technology MJ does teardowns of devices new and old. The focus seems to be less on investigation than on sating the curiosity of the Japanese DIY community.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is one good report.

Because most of the press is supported by advertisement. After this review, how much financial support would Amir be receiving from Emotiva? :eek:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How well spoken, Super sad but the truth.

Even after one of Atkinson's worst measurement findings, he'll always waffle and defer to the praising prose of the listening report. They're always good.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Because most of the press is supported by advertisement. After this review, how much financial support would Amir be receiving from Emotiva? :eek:

The press in 2018 is worse than in 1978, I believe. In 1978 the cashflow from readers and advertisers were more balanced than today; today, the press relies more on advertisers, their sources, politicians who can give or take away privileges (taxes) etc.

So the press is no longer for the audience; it’s for another set of interest groups. Fake media indeed. Audio is no exception; this is a broader, general trend.

However, as one gap (i.e. the now non-existing intelligent media) establishes itself, new players emerge to fill a need. ASR is just one example of such a «gap filler».

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will point out Stereophile and TAS began as subscriber only supported magazines. That didn't prevent them from promoting a misguided subjectivist direction in audio. Founder of Stereophile JGH in time regretted this. Presumably both represented the writer's actual view and gave them freedom to take then unpopular opinions. In time both mags took ads, and once the subjectivist meme had become predominant in some circles they inevitably became a source of spreading the word of the High End industry. With an old presumption that what is good for the industry is automatically good for the high end customer.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The press in 2018 is worse than in 1978, I believe.
And much worst than in 1962 when JGH left High Fidelity to start a ad free Stereophile due to a undue advertiser influence.

“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”
Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I will point out Stereophile and TAS began as subscriber only supported magazines. That didn't prevent them from promoting a misguided subjectivist direction in audio. Founder of Stereophile JGH in time regretted this. Presumably both represented the writer's actual view and gave them freedom to take then unpopular opinions. In time both mags took ads, and once the subjectivist meme had become predominant in some circles they inevitably became a source of spreading the word of the High End industry. With an old presumption that what is good for the industry is automatically good for the high end customer.

Hm...as you wrote "high end" here, it's as if I just now realized that "hi fi" at one point degenerated into "high end"; they're not the same in modern jargon.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding the rubber on the transformer, the electrical reason is to prevent the case forming a shorted turn if the screw touches the case top. I wonder if they actually thought of that though. Does the rubber touch the top cover? If so, I think it's more likely they had a case resonance problem.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is one good report.

Thanks. :)

Part of the problem they have is that you need to have engineering/design/manufacturing experience which reviewers of audio lack. I guess they could hire a consultant to spend an hour doing this.

What I am doing is just casual observation. A deeper dive can be done to reverse engineer the circuits and find mistakes at lower levels. Or praise. :)

Top Bottom