• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The BUF634T is a unity gain current buffer, conventionally used for headphones inside of the feedback loop of a more linear opamp (the OPA132 in the spec sheet linked, for example; more information here: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa065/sboa065.pdf). Emotiva's specs claim a LM4562 (https://emotiva.com/products/dc-1), any sign of one nearby to the buffers?
I am not home so can't check. But their blurb matches my understanding that the BUF634 is used for headphone drive:

" We also added dual headphone outputs powered by i BUF-634 high-current low-distortion output buffers, and driven by our proprietary driver circuitry, which gives you a very low output impedance and a flat, load invariant frequency response. "

It is also the only thing mounted on the heatsink. Would be strange to have that be an adjunct to something else that drives the headphones.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Thanks. :)

Part of the problem they have is that you need to have engineering/design/manufacturing experience which reviewers of audio lack. I guess they could hire a consultant to spend an hour doing this.

What I am doing is just casual observation. A deeper dive can be done to reverse engineer the circuits and find mistakes at lower levels. Or praise. :)

Sometimes I wonder why journalists don’t team up with retired experts. I’d guess there are some retired experts arsound who would’ve like to play around with gadgets. For quite a few, fun is as important as $$$ (if you already live comfortably).

I don’t know your age. Maybe you’re already in the «retired» bracket if we would use 65 as a sharp limit ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sometimes I wonder why journalists don’t team up with retired experts. I’d guess there are some retired experts arsound who would’ve like to play around with gadgets. For quite a few, fun is as important as $$$ (if you already live comfortably).

I don’t know your age. Maybe you’re already in the «retired» bracket if we would use 65 as a sharp limit ;)
Yes, I took an early retirement and fit the definition above except for the "expert" part. :)

I find both the measurements and opening the case like a reality show that unfolds in front of me. There is always a surprise or two.

Yesterday I measured the Berkeley Alpha DAC and two versions of Schiit Yggorasil DAC (one with USB upgrade and the other with both USB upgrade and Analog board). I tell you, the reality show feeling was quite alive and well there. :) I also measured the Bryston BDA-2. Report on all of these in the next few days.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I wonder why journalists don’t team up with retired experts.

Why would they? Its bad for business. This is like asking why priests don't team up with scientists to write their sermons. The target audience simply does not want that. I have been (note the past tense) part of some hifi forums where most people outright reject measurements and facts in favor of trusting their "ears".

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I took an early retirement and fit the definition above except for the "expert" part. :)

I find both the measurements and opening the case like a reality show that unfolds in front of me. There is always a surprise or two.

Yesterday I measured the Berkeley Alpha DAC and two versions of Schiit Yggorasil DAC (one with USB upgrade and the other with both USB upgrade and Analog board). I tell you, the reality show feeling was quite alive and well there. :) I also measured the Bryston BDA-2. Report on all of these in the next few days.

Now you need to start posting videos of your teardowns and measurements. For the cast, you need to add two highly subjective "audiophiles" who bring over fancy cables and Schiit gear, reject all your measurements as invalid and argue with each other over which cable is better. Shall we call it, "The real audiophiles of King County"?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Why would they? Its bad for business. This is like asking why priests don't team up with scientists to write their sermons. The target audience simply does not want that. I have been (note the past tense) part of some hifi forums where most people outright reject measurements and facts in favor of trusting their "ears".

Well, sometimes it happens that people from outside the ordinary audiophile crowd do tests. Like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

So it happens from time to time that journalists can write about a theme with integrity.

But the usual audio companies are hardly big advertisers in Tom's...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, sometimes it happens that people from outside the ordinary audiophile crowd do tests. Like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

So it happens from time to time that journalists can write about a theme with integrity.

But the usual audio companies are hardly big advertisers in Tom's...

The first two sentences FTA say a lot:

Although we don't typically review audio gear, we believe that we have a few advantages over some hi-fi reviewers. First, we have no financial interest in the products we review

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bob Carver showed them all how to do a product intro back in 1982 with Miss Halogram.
Haven't seen a better one since. :eek::p

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
On a side note: 99:1 male:female ratio is terrible. Has the industry given up on women?
Doubt the numbers are much different for things like car racing/hot rod, sporting firearms, other predominately male hobbies.. Little that can be done, that's just the way we're wired. You don't see many guys buying Better Homes & Gardens either.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This section of your photo really made me gag. Truly pathetic wiring, soldering, and hot gluing. Gives even cheap products a bad name.

View attachment 10359
Yeh I wanted to comment about all the hot snot in there. Even the on/off switch is glued as opposed to screwed.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Doubt the numbers are much different for things like car racing/hot rod, sporting firearms, other predominately male hobbies.. Little that can be done, that's just the way we're wired. You don't see many guys buying Better Homes & Gardens either.
There are different hobbies for different sexes. It doesn't mean there aren't some in between or some who like both or one or the other but.... tech stuff is more predominately male and so is car stuff. It's just how it is. Women have their own things they like.

Top Bottom