• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 86.5%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't speak chinese and I'm not used to L7 measurements: can you tell me what "NBWL" and "NBWR" (Not Balance Weighted Left & Right?) mean in the linearity test chart and if the 50mV SNR test is “A” weighted or not weighted?
No idea, but BW might be bandwidth, but does not explain the N. Noise? Noise bandwidth L&R? I don't know.

Kosta

Ah understood

Though there is also the added benefit of filters in the tanchjim app from the same site should you be interested
How did you get this in english ? My app is in chinease even if I change the language settings. Also i just recently brought the Space and it already keeps the same volume even when I reconnect it. Does this mean I have the latest firmware?

elole

How did you get this in english ? My app is in chinease even if I change the language settings. Also i just recently brought the Space and it already keeps the same volume even when I reconnect it. Does this mean I have the latest firmware?
I had to Google translate the app settings. It was also in Chinese despite the settings.
If you can also change the space's settings via app, then yeah it's already at the latest firmware

stren

Forum Donor
Are you sure about that? I didn't think the lightning port would output bitperfect audio unless you use the USB-OTG camera adapter as shown in his picture. That's been my experience interfacing my iPhone with DAC's in the past in any case.

I'd buy the Space Lite right now if they made a version with a lightning connector that I could just plug into my phone. If we can get someone to confirm that it works with a simple USB-C --> Lightning adapter I might pull the trigger.

FWIW the regular space does not work with my iphone and a basic lightning to usbc cable (even the apple one).

t4t3r

FWIW the regular space does not work with my iphone and a basic lightning to usbc cable (even the apple one).
Needs to be an OTG cable. This is why the apple camera adapter (even the single USB-A port one) makes it much easier.

stren

Forum Donor
Needs to be an OTG cable. This is why the apple camera adapter (even the single USB-A port one) makes it much easier.
I ordered a specific otg lightning to usbc otg cable rather than the camera adapter, hopefully it works

Kosta

Brought one of these based on this review. Aim was to retire my k5 pro and have a more portable solution that could work with both headsets and IEMS. Here are my impressions. Great little dac. Amazing SQ from such a tiny thing. Powers my Hd58x comfortably running at about 78% volume.
My only gripes (probably relate to most dongles) are (1) power - would be nice to have more and (2) battery consumption (drains like crazy).
Based on my prefrences looks like i'll be eyeing up something along the lines of a BTR 7 sometime down the track.

Some more learnings :
  • At risk of anoying everyone here - while measuresment are interesting my K5 Pro measured siginificantly worse here but I cant tell any difrrence in SQ . I guess anything over about 80 SINAD will be fine.
  • At risk of anoying all the subjective folk - I cant tell the difference between this and my K5 pro. I doubt a DAC makes a huge impact on the listening experience (assuiming it has enough power to drive headsets accordingly)
So lesson learned spend as little $$ as possibe to get the feature set you need for your use case.

Lräk

Received mine yesterday and it really sounds good compared to the cheap $10 DAC I have and just as good as my 'good' DAC/HP on my home system (Topping or SMSL). I then connected it to my new Pixel Tablet and that is now going to be my 'go to' when I have to use headphones (usually late at night). Now I don't have to power up my system and run a long cable when using my HP. Out of curiosity I connected it to my Pixel 6 and it sounds just as good as my tablet. I seem to get up to 24 bit/96 kHz max though using Amazon Music HD. My WiiM Pro gets the full 24/192, but I can't tell the difference even with 16/44.1 so I'm all set.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
@amirm I dont suppose they sent you the smaller SE only Space Lite too did they? That might be the default replacement for the legendary Meizu Hifi Pro if it measures as well as the SE output on this.
Speaking of which, where are the results for SE out? Aside from the basic dashboard everythis is out of the 4,4mm. Not everyone is running balanced especially with IEMs, probably a common use case for this class of device.
I just got a Lite and initial (subjective) impressions are good FWIW. Seems to play dynamics and bass with more 'punch' than my "$9 phone dongle". Would be interesting to see how it tests out. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show good results. Didn't seem like I needed the extra features of the regular Space, so went with that.

iPhone users will need the camera (USB) adapter and one of these USB-to-C adapters (they come in a $10 three-pack) : https://a.co/d/gfXWTQX. Works fine for me with the Lite. Should be fine also with the Space. Dont know about any other options other than try and see. Hopefully the rumors of imminent adoption of USBC in the iPhone are true.

Last edited:

PDS

Mine just arrived. I'm using it with my laptop any my Thieaudio Ghost headphones. The new amp/dac sounds great!

multiformous

Got one of these yesterday -- based on the strength of the review here as an 'upgrade' from Meizu HiFi. So the 'correct' way to use this on Windows or Android (UAPP) would be to turn the volume up on Windows to like 90/100 or something (the booklet mentions "at least 80%" or something), then adjust actual listening level on the Space itself? I'm new to this whole Two Volumes thing.

I like to use UAPP in exclusive mode on Android, but is there any reason to use exclusive mode with, say, foobar on Windows?

t4t3r

Would encourage owners to be exceedingly careful when updating firmware on these. I have probably done this hundreds of times over the years, and despite receiving the “flash successful” message, it bricked mine. No longer recognized by anything and no way that I could find to reflash. Contacted Tanchjim support and they basically told me to kick rocks. Believe me, I’d be rolling my eyes reading my post too if it hadn’t happened to me, but very disappointed.

These obviously sound good and measure well, but think I’ll stick with products that have some semblance of support available in the USA and don’t utilize the cheesy firmware update software that needs to be installed/run via a terrible set of instructions.

Buyer beware.

Would encourage owners to be exceedingly careful when updating firmware on these. I have probably done this hundreds of times over the years, and despite receiving the “flash successful” message, it bricked mine. No longer recognized by anything and no way that I could find to reflash. Contacted Tanchjim support and they basically told me to kick rocks. Believe me, I’d be rolling my eyes reading my post too if it hadn’t happened to me, but very disappointed.

These obviously sound good and measure well, but think I’ll stick with products that have some semblance of support available in the USA and don’t utilize the cheesy firmware update software that needs to be installed/run via a terrible set of instructions.

Buyer beware.
Thanks for the head's up. I updated the firmware on my E1DA 9038DK using similar tools but he instructions were better (and they made a Youtube instructional video) - this was to fix the PTL issue. So far I haven't noticed an issue with the Tanchjim - why did you need to update the firmware?

aedagnino

Hi, quick question... is it possible to use these dongles, and this one in particular, as a desktop dac? Straight to speakers amplifier, using computer for volume control.

Tomino

Forum Donor
Engineering aside, will I hear a difference? That's always my question.

With the Tanchjim Space, I expected the answer would be yes, so I bought it. I thought I would share my experience here FWIW.

I bought this little DAC/amp/pencil sharpener for use with an iPhone 14 Pro Max (along with the necessary OTG cable). I use two different headphones, kind of. I have the Etymotic ER4, of which there are several variations. Mine are the ER4p, which was designed to be flat response and relatively easy to drive (approx. 27 ohms). But it came with an alternative connector that increases impedance and turns it into a model ER4s, which is harder to drive (approx. 100 ohms) but has less noise and a still flatter response curve, apparently.

Formerly, when listening on my phone, I used the standard Apple dongle and the ER4p setup. This sounded pretty good to me, and once I was able to add EQ through my Roon subscription, it was very good.

Now, with the Tanchjim Space in the mix, I’m adding the extra impedance for the ER4s configuration. The sound is noticeably better. I’m very pleased.

People are notoriously bad at perceiving and articulating the pros and cons of audio equipment. But I’m comfortable stating that the lows and mids sound fuller and richer -- most likely due to the added power rather than the improved DAC performance. That makes a noticeable difference in every kind of music, including classical, but especially anything with more low-end emphasis.

It’s worth mentioning that I also hear a noticeable improvement using the Tanchjim Space with the ER4p. The difference between the s and the p is I find the p a little thinner/more tinny in the treble, I think.

In short, the Tanchjim Space was a good investment in improving the sound quality from my iPhone. I would recommend it.

Top Bottom