• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 86.5%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Haruko

why no crosstalk

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For comparison, below is the Truthear Shio 4 volts, A-weighted, THD+N 0.00032% = SINAD 109. A shame they did not measure without A-weight and the graph in dB scale. Still excellent SNR and DR.

4677028bffb59806b11ab392567ea184.PNG

abm0

Forum Donor
The JCally AP10 looks like a very similar device.
Yeaah, but both the AP10 and AP90 have only software volume control via the wheel/buttons. :/

For comparison, below is the Truthear Shio 4 volts
LOL @ "512 mW". Does the Audio Precision just blindly calculate power based on a standardized 32 ohm value? No USB powered dongle in existence can do 4 Vrms @32 ohms with anywhere near 0.00032% THD+N.

Last edited:

rll

The OEM manufacturer of these devices has released a very interesting small DAC with a battery. According to Chinese users, it really delivers 330mW from a balanced output. I ordered one, will check on arrival.
please keep us posted!

carpman

Would there be any issues using the TANCHJIM Space (or Fiio KA3) attached to a Lenovo T460 laptop, and using it predominantly as line out into an amp (Aiyima A07) to drive some small speakers? It sounds like the Fiio has a little more power, but the specs of the Space are a little better? For line level-ish (or close enough) output, which would be better? I wonder if the Space lite version might do the trick?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

C.

Eddie

Can someone please tell me whether or not this device
a) works on Windows 10/11 with WASAPI (more specifically AUDCLNT_SHAREMODE_EXCLUSIVE and AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_EVENTCALLBACK)?
b) "pops" when starting to play or when stopping or when changing the sample rate?
Thank you.

mc.god

Would there be any issues using the TANCHJIM Space (or Fiio KA3) attached to a Lenovo T460 laptop, and using it predominantly as line out into an amp (Aiyima A07) to drive some small speakers? It sounds like the Fiio has a little more power, but the specs of the Space are a little better? For line level-ish (or close enough) output, which would be better? I wonder if the Space lite version might do the trick?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

C.
No issue at all, I'm daily using my Ugreen HiFi in this way to an headphone amp. Since the Aiyma doesn't have balanced input you can use only the 3.5 mm single ended output, so the Lite version, or any other similar good dongle capable of 2V in high gain mode is the best choice. Since you will connect it to a line-level input, power doesn't matter, only output voltage counts, so go for the one with best sinad, dnr, imd or more features.

carpman

Since the Aiyma doesn't have balanced input you can use only the 3.5 mm single ended output, so the Lite version, or any other similar good dongle capable of 2V in high gain mode is the best choice.
I was going to check the balanced aspect. Thanks for answering that and getting ahead of me :). I think I'll look closer at the Space lite -- the only balanced stuff I have are my monitors and they aren't relevant to this setup.

[EDIT] : The Lenovo T460 has no USB-C. But am I correct to assume that audio via USB is simply digital data (I think certain USB protocols allow the wire to transmit analog signals? - maybe wrong here) and there's nothing too special about the USB-C element when it comes to feeding data to these DAC dongles. So a simple USB-A to USB-C adapter is all that may be required (if that doesn't come with the Space Lite)?

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:

mc.god

carpman

Excellent. Just picked up a Space Lite (seems to be okay with Windows 7 x64 as well as Windows 10 so it might work as a DAC for my backup (non-audio) PC as well as the laptop (I'm assuming it will do better than the onboard audio on that ancient Gigabyte MB. Really appreciate the help! Thanks.

C.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You should be able to simply use a lightning to usb c cable:
USB C to Lightning Cable 3Pack 6FT [Apple MFi Certified] iPhone Fast Charger Cable USB-C Power Delivery Charging Cord Compatible with iPhone 14/13/12/11/XS/Max/XR/X/8/iPad, White https://amzn.asia/d/hfy7RYz
Are you sure about that? I didn't think the lightning port would output bitperfect audio unless you use the USB-OTG camera adapter as shown in his picture. That's been my experience interfacing my iPhone with DAC's in the past in any case.

I'd buy the Space Lite right now if they made a version with a lightning connector that I could just plug into my phone. If we can get someone to confirm that it works with a simple USB-C --> Lightning adapter I might pull the trigger.

TK750

Are you sure about that? I didn't think the lightning port would output bitperfect audio unless you use the USB-OTG camera adapter as shown in his picture. That's been my experience interfacing my iPhone with DAC's in the past in any case.

I'd buy the Space Lite right now if they made a version with a lightning connector that I could just plug into my phone. If we can get someone to confirm that it works with a simple USB-C --> Lightning adapter I might pull the trigger.

You definitely can as I have done so with my iPhone and E1DA 9038D however it is far from simple. It seems to be essentially luck of the draw as to whether an adapter works or not, some do some don't and I don't believe anyone has identified the key to compatibility. There are adapters that will work with certain iPhone models even but not others. I believe @staticV3 keeps a spreadsheet of compatible options for the E1DA dongle and iPhone model combinations. I'm not saying this will help or you should follow it for the Tanchjim, merely to show that it is possible but pretty much trial and error/luck. Fortunately someone had already tried a combination with the same iPhone as myself that worked, so I just bought that adapter. I don't know of any other compatibility sheets that have been made for other dongles I'm afraid. I'll have a look for the E1DA one and edit this comment if I find it.

Edit: found it https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/edit#gid=1790956396

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Roksan fails in nothing as far as I can see.

You are comparing a single feature component with an entire complex product and you well know that. It's just a simple DAC. A tiny 2 chip subset of a real component in a little box with a wire hanging out. Of course it can perform well in isolation- it doesn't do much at all.

No excuses for the Roksan's overall poor performance, but compare apples with apples.

Not this:
View attachment 297891

With this:
View attachment 297890
Why exactly are you doing mental gymnastics to defend a ****** product? Integrated amps with in-built DAC's and phono stages are a thoroughly developed market segment with lots of nice looking (and measuring) options.

gcompari

I own the Tanchjim Space and love it. Add a Truthear Zero Red and a 4.4 mm balanced cable and it is state of the art measurements in IEMs for less than 200 usd.

Below the measurements from L7 lab.

Thanks for testing, @amirm. Btw, did you by accident test it in low gain mode? Pressing the 2 volume buttons simultaneously switches between modes.
I don't speak chinese and I'm not used to L7 measurements: can you tell me what "NBWL" and "NBWR" (Not Balance Weighted Left & Right?) mean in the linearity test chart and if the 50mV SNR test is “A” weighted or not weighted?

Top Bottom