• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 86.5%

• Total voters

abm0

Forum Donor
But they have the new BHD Pro released which should be pretty similar to the Space.
Similar except probably more powerful, also the FiiO KA5 is competing in that same area, posting similar max output while running dual CS43198s.

I'm not sure which is which, but I do know the usual English names for the filters, you could continue searching from there. In order:
1 (short delay fast roll-off)
2 (short delay slow roll-off)
3 (fast roll-off)
4 (slow roll-off)
The first two are very probably minimum-phase filters, but the last two are unclear - "phase compensation"? What's that supposed to mean? This strange naming makes me suspect they tried some "creative" hybrid or "apodizing" solution and avoided the one filter every fidelity-serious modern DAC should include, i.e. the linear-phase fast-rolloff filter.

Last edited:

PuX

The implication of your comment is the only way to compare two audio components is the single SINAD number. Surely you realize there is more to a device than this: Switchable inputs; volume knob; parametric EQ; remote; cross-feed; etc... In the spectrum world of DACs, this dongle and an RME ADI are quite different things.
If you read the manuals of both devices you will see why they aren't comparable.
all of that is extra functionality.
so you were not talking about the main feature of a DAC/amp combo at all.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All that for $90! Unreal! All I can say is you have to be sh.... errr... I mean you have to be pooping me!

charleski

Major Contributor
Similar except probably more powerful, also the FiiO KA5 is competing in that same area, posting similar max output while running dual CS43198s.

The first two are very probably minimum-phase filters, but the last two are unclear - "phase compensation"? What's that supposed to mean? This strange naming makes me suspect they tried some "creative" hybrid or "apodizing" solution and avoided the one filter every fidelity-serious modern DAC should include, i.e. the linear-phase fast-rolloff filter.
You can find plots for the filters provided in the datasheet:
It’s basically linear or minimum phase and proper or poor attenuation.

abm0

Forum Donor
You can find plots for the filters provided in the datasheet:
It’s basically linear or minimum phase and proper or poor attenuation.

"Basically linear", LOL, they got creative with it just like I suspected:
Proprietary digital-interpolation filters support five selectable filter responses with pseudo-linear phase and ultralow latency to minimize pre-echos and ringing artifacts.
All that talk about minimizing inaudible ringing, and they even included a NOS mode, these people really like to cater to haters of modern digital fidelity. :))
JFC, if I'm reading that right even their fast-rolloff filters are 6-8 dB down already at the Nyquist frequency in most available modes. This would explain those glowing reviews of the Tanchjim from lovers of analog warmsauce. :D

charleski

Major Contributor
"Basically linear", LOL, they got creative with it just like I suspected:

All that talk about minimizing inaudible ringing, and they even included a NOS mode, these people really like to cater to haters of modern digital fidelity. :))
JFC, if I'm reading that right even their fast-rolloff filters are 6-8 dB down already at the Nyquist frequency in most available modes. This would explain those glowing reviews of the Tanchjim from lovers of analog warmsauce. :D
I recommend skipping the marketing fluff at the start and just looking at the data specs. Per Table 3-9 the fast roll-off filter on a 44.1kHz signal is down 0.01dB at 19.999kHz and -3dB at 21.256kHz, then -110dB at 24.123kHz. Not quite as good at the best offerings from ESS or AKM, but acceptable as long as it’s configured properly.

Unfortunately this isn’t always the case, IIRC a problem with the TempoTec Sonata HD (which uses the same chip) is that it uses the default slow roll-off filter, so for best performance you need to upsample to bypass this. I’m not sure why Amir doesn’t test the filter on dongle reviews, possibly a limitation with only having a usb interface.

Tomino

Forum Donor
Really interesting review. Thank you!!!

How audible an improvement do we think this would represent over the standard Apple adapter for the iPhone? In my case, it would be used on a 14 Pro Max and Etymotic ER4s.

Run through Roon ARC Muse, I've been happy, but it's fun to consider an upgrade . . . .

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It has more power than the Apple dongle so for anything half difficult to drive, it will push it louder with more impressive bass. The Apple dongle with 2 volt output is the minimum you should have.

abm0

Forum Donor
I recommend skipping the marketing fluff at the start and just looking at the data specs. Per Table 3-9 the fast roll-off filter on a 44.1kHz signal is down 0.01dB at 19.999kHz and -3dB at 21.256kHz, then -110dB at 24.123kHz. Not quite as good at the best offerings from ESS or AKM, but acceptable as long as it’s configured properly.
Ah, tru dat, I didn't look at the tables, only judged the graphs by eye. :p So yeah, there might have been some unfortunate choice of filter affecting the reviews I'm talking about, either as the shipped default or purposely set up like that by the user. In that case there's something to work with here even for those of us who like hearing 100% of that treble detail.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah understood

Though there is also the added benefit of filters in the tanchjim app from the same site should you be interested View attachment 297739
Long shot. Downloaded the android app from the site. It's got language options but even if I select English it shows some text as English but the bulk of the options in (I'll say Chinese as shorthand) Chinese characters. Any ideas or is the app just glitchy?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice device, impossible to fault and especially for the price, just don't run it at max volume, although you wouldn't implicitly know you needed to do that unless you'd seen Amir's review, but still astounding nearly 4V device for the money!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

elole

Long shot. Downloaded the android app from the site. It's got language options but even if I select English it shows some text as English but the bulk of the options in (I'll say Chinese as shorthand) Chinese characters. Any ideas or is the app just glitchy?
Its the same issue for me.

jasonhanjk

A good line out but sucks terribly driving load. There are better DAC amp out there.

androidbrick

Reviewer
Great performance, especially for $90, thanks @amirm.

A zoom in;

TANCHJIM-Space-USB-DAC-Review-15.jpg

Dual Cirrus Logic CS43131 DAC chips.

JSmith

This photo belongs to me, wish you had mentioned that. https://www.androidbrick.com/tanchjim-space-usb-dac-review/

JSmith

Master Contributor
This photo belongs to me, wish you had mentioned that.
Apologies, but I don't like to link to other reviewers reviews in an official ASR review thread. Thanks for including the image though in your review, I did read all of it.

Speaking of which... shouldn't you have a reviewer tag? :)

JSmith

hearone

Forum Donor
How audible an improvement do we think this would represent over the standard Apple adapter for the iPhone? In my case, it would be used on a 14 Pro Max and Etymotic ER4s.
Same question, since I have the iPhone 14PM too. I found on Amazon Prime the Space Lite for $45 and will get it this week. The Space was weeks and shipped from China. Per the spec, lower power, 1 chip design and and lower specs, hopefully the specs will be honest like the reviewed Space.

Since1 chip and using SE, I assume it will be 1/2 the power of the Space SE output? I use Sennheiser HP. But heck, it's a hobby and my first dabble in mobile DACs at a low cost. Again, something I would never have considered without the good review for the regular Space. Thanks ASR!

androidbrick

Reviewer
I
Apologies, but I don't like to link to other reviewers reviews in an official ASR review thread. Thanks for including the image though in your review, I did read all of it.

Speaking of which... shouldn't you have a reviewer tag? :)

JSmith
I don't like that too, seeing other reviewers' links in my posts. No problem with that :) I shared the link to prove that I own that photo, taken with an external macro lens attached to my phone. Thank you for reading my review and look I have a new tag :)

Top Bottom