• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Taking advantage of the Audient interface balanced outs... Should I?

jonwb

Hi... I have an Audient iD22 with balanced outs. My headphones are Senn HD6xx. Last week I bought a Topping L30 II and I'm liking the improvement over the iD22 HP amp. I've recently learned that I have the option of running the iD22 balanced outs into a balanced HP amp, and possibly changing the HD6xx cable to a balanced one.

I'm using this setup in a Pro Tools mixing environment. Honestly, I'm not caught up in the "balanced vs unbalanced" opinion war but since I have the option to do so, would you suggest I make the change?

(the L30 II is still returnable, the Topping L50 would be my choice)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK the benefits of balanced connections are reduced interference, better noise rejection, and higher voltages. When it comes to headphone listening over short cables I am not sure you should expect any audible benefit, unless your headphones are underpowered or you're hearing interference.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Honestly, I'm not caught up in the "balanced vs unbalanced" opinion war but since I have the option to do so, would you suggest I make the change?
I would not.
No improvement over the L30II + 1/4" headphone cable can be expected by upgrading to a balanced Amp + balanced cable.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Balanced interconnects make sense, but if you have no noise, buzz , hum etc. the benefit may not be noticeable.

Balanced headphone connections are tougher to justify.

OP
J

jonwb

Thank you very much all. No, currently with the Topping, there's no noise or hum and the HD6xx sound very dynamic with a bit better soundscape and separation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom