• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Synthesis Waveforms and Harmonics - How do they work?

NoiseyParker

Hello,

I am currently studying sound synthesis and I am totally fascinated. However, I don't full understand the harmonics of different oscillators? I understand that a triangle wave has the odd harmonics present and that every other is in reverse polarity, but I don't understand why? It seems relatively close in shape to a saw tooth wave that has all the harmonics? I understand that a square wave has only the odd harmonics present, but not sure why? Can any one help me or point me towards a good source?

Many thanks

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It can be shown by expanding the fourier series. In that regard, there is infinite number of harmonics. It is just that for a square wave, half the coefficients become zero and those are the even ones.

An intuitive way to think about this is that a sine wave is in phase with a square wave. In other words, it is like a square wave but its corners have been rounded. A cosine term on the other hand (representing the even terms) would be inverse phase of the square wave so can't exist in that expansion.

Here is a good video that shows this but by necessity, is full of math: https://www.khanacademy.org/science...ies/v/ee-fourier-coefficients-for-square-wave

OP
N

NoiseyParker

OK so that video is beyond my level of knowledge, but I think I understand that half the coefficients are zero (because the signal is essentially on and off at a regular pulse?) But I don't understand the triangle wave - why are every other at reverse polarity?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I understand that a square wave has only the odd harmonics present, but not sure why?

By definition?

It's how the value of the amplitude of the series - where you have a sine fundamental, the odd multiples of that frequency, with the value of 1/number_of_the_harmonic times the fundamental amplitude "adds up".

Audacity (or other software) will allow you to build waveforms by combining tracks.

1541983068096.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom