• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surround Sound Speakers Sizes

Descartes

Major Contributor
I am curious to hear from
all those who own a surround sound system. Do you find that in your opinion is it worth it having expensive surround sound speakers especially for movies?

For example one could imagine
3 KEF Reference 2- Meta for the front channels and
6 KEF LS50 Meta for surround duties

Please share your opinion and your current setup.

I personally use all KEF LS50s

Golfx

Forum Donor
I will be interested to see if anyone who went through the expense, purchase decisions and setup implementation will have anything to say other than supportive comments. As far as movies, for me, sound is a huge necessary ingredient with bass making the most impact followed by good surround sound/atmos gimmicks. In very few movies or shows I will hear over my shoulder a sound that is so real that i pause the show to see if it was perhaps real.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
I will be interested to see if anyone who went through the expense, purchase decisions and setup implementation will have anything to say other than supportive comments. As far as movies, for me, sound is a huge necessary ingredient with bass making the most impact followed by good surround sound/atmos gimmicks. In very few movies or shows I will hear over my shoulder a sound that is so real that i pause the show to see if it was perhaps real.
What speakers do you have?

Golfx

Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to not just movies, but also surround music. I like the surrounds to be more capable than not, and ideally the same speaker all around or at least from the same line, and tho I haven't created a system that's the same speaker all around, I do have a few systems with the speakers at least from the same model line, some others that are less matched up. I can easily see your proposed system....

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
When I built a new house 5 years ago, I wired the media room for 7.2.2. My initial speaker selection was Revel F206 left and right with Revel C25 and M16 as the center and surrounds, respectively. (I started out with no height speakers.) It sounded awesome. However, after miserably failing WAF, I installed Polk 65-RT in-wall surrounds and Polk 70-RT in-ceiling top middle speakers, and no one in the family noticed much of a difference in sound quality, including me.

Perhaps if I used this system for multi-channel music I would think differently, but for movies and television I find the surround speakers to be little more than noisemakers, and inexpensive in-walls are more than adequate to make the requisite noise.

So, IMHO, the OP's proposal is absolutely sound.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't listen to multichannel music I'd say it doesn't matter that much, but you probably don't want anything severely underpowered for the bed channels at least. Otherwise some effects may lack impact.

If you do listen to mch then the bed surrounds are important, I have many tracks where certain instruments mainly play through a surround.

Either way I'd keep the heights relatively cheap.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious to hear from
all those who own a surround sound system. Do you find that in your opinion is it worth it having expensive surround sound speakers especially for movies?

For example one could imagine
3 KEF Reference 2- Meta for the front channels and
6 KEF LS50 Meta for surround duties

Please share your opinion and your current setup.

I personally use all KEF LS50s

Movies isn't my interest, rather multichannel music.

My first thought is I would want wider dispersion speakers for surround. Especially if you're closer to one than the other, sounds localize at the speakers. Before height speakers, I would take a KEF or Tannoy coax and point it at the ceiling. So I would not consider LS50 Meta a good surround channel speaker. Technics C700 if you can find them would work a good deal better, if you want a coax standmount. NHT C3 is another good bookshelf for surround.

My second thought is looking at price is a little besides the point. Instead, work from goals and constraints and then see what it would cost to meet them.

In our previous house we used "expensive" sides (Pioneer/TAD S-IW891 with MSRP of $3800/pr - but did not pay that), and rears (NHT Classic Three). The sides used the same coax as our mains at first, but still worked just fine when we changed the mains for JBL 708i L/R and SCL-3 center. The only coax with wider dispersion than the TAD design is the flat Technics. The rears worked well because they had such wide dispersion, and Classic Three's weakest link (extreme HF) isn't a factor when they're behind you.

In our current system, there is a big placement/form factor constraint - the left side speaker had to be as thin as could be. That, coupled with some of the things in Sound Reproduction about using CBT arrays as surrounds, and the 2015 JBL Synthesis Atmos demo, led me to spec JBL CBT speakers for the sides (50) and rear (100 - for aesthetic reasons). That is a considerable lower cost speaker than previously used, but again the focus was on goals and constraints rather than cost. They have worked out well. They have wide dispersion where it matters for a side or rear speaker, due to being a column of 2" wideband drivers. The relatively constrained vertical dispersion seems neither especially pro or con. They have sufficient headroom for the job. They blend just fine with the three JBL 708s up front and the 4 Pioneer/TAD S-ic891a ceiling height speakers.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had quite a few different speakers in my theater and believe the best quality speaker you can get at each location matters a great deal. IMO all speakers in a system should sound good listening to music and have the ability to play as loud as the source material requires at your listening level. Immersive sound formats don't limit the peaks or frequency to these speakers. Sometimes surrounds and atmos speakers are just used for ambiance and not used heavily. However, depending on the content you watch they can be very active and quite high in levels. The more capable the speakers the better the experience.
I am currently using 9 JBL 6332/LSR32 speakers and 7 JBL SCL-8 speakers.

I use these tiny Gemstone speakers for side surround (shown below) and rear surround. Room is small (14' x 12') though with vaulted ceiling. The two drivers within the GS speakers are angled apart so it helps ensure sound gets to all listeners, even though they are fairly close to the seating positions (3' - 5'.) I know people make fun of Bose speakers (including myself), but these can play extremely loud and Audyssey does a good job of correcting the frequency response. They are high-pass filtered at 250 Hz, but there is one of the low frequency modules on the rear surrounds that extends to 40Hz.

PXL_20231202_181043311.MP.jpg

Top Bottom