• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for Hafler DH220 service?

AudioTodd

I presume that you have read the review here of one of my 2 APT/Holman Preamps (that are identical) & were resto-modded (no circuit design changes) by Peter @ QuirkAudio. There are also some comments in the comment section by the designer and owner of the company when these were being produced, Tomlinson Holman (whom Peter has current ties with) in the thread (starting at post 145 & continuing for a bit after then some intermittently after that).
Vince Naeve (owner of Audio Proz) has worked for companies such as Apt, H.H. Scott, and KLH. and is also an excellent source for all things related (including parts) to these (and many other products). For those that have not read this review, here is a link to it:

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio) and also one of my NAD 2200's (resto-modded [with no circuit design changes] by Peter @ QuirkAudio also) reviewed here:​

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

Hey, do any of you guys know of a good place to get a Hafler DH220 restored - to as close to original circuits as possible - with modern components as needed? I have lots of newer amps, but would like to use my 40 year old Hafler now and again for nostalgic purposes (and to remind me that many modern amps are not really any better - depending on application). Thanks for any contact information and testimonials you may be able to share!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I started a new thread with this question, as there may be many who wouldn't see it otherwise. Plus...thread drift.

jjmanda

Don't know where you are located, but in the US....

I've had several NAD pieces redone by Peter Williams at Quirk Audio.
Excellent, honest work.

I've also bought a redone Hafler DH200 from Vince at Audio Proz. Did a fine job on it.

Either place should be fine.

OP
AudioTodd

AudioTodd

Excellent, honest work.

I've also bought a redone Hafler DH200 from Vince at Audio Proz. Did a fine job on it.

Can you provide contact info? PM if that’s more acceptable under the rules of our beloved forum!

Labjr

Major Contributor
I've done restoration on old Dynaco and Fisher etc. for friends. David Gillespie's mods are fabulous. I prefer modern redesigns because they usually improve the sound and stability of the amp, The Audio Express DH-220 project by Dave Cordell seems real nice. Be careful whatever you do. A matched set of those Hitachi MOSFET's would be hard to find.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Excellent, honest work.

I too have had great experiences with both of these fine folks (in fact, I use them both for different gear & depending on where I am at the time. And they are the only 2 people I ship my stuff to).
Peter @ Quirk Audio has had all 6 of my NAD 2200's and my 2 NAD 2100's (I wouldn't ask anyone to do those ever again, they turned into a problem to get done, through no fault of who was doing them).
Both Peter & Vince have each had my all of my other various gear at one point or another, except if there was a tuner alignment involved.
If you have made arrangements to have your gear tested with Amirm after the work is done, Peter @ Quirk Audio is a lot closer to Amirm & it makes sense from a shipping view point for it to go from him to Amirm & then to you.
Your location & the shipping cost is more of a deciding factor than anything, unless there is something special that you are doing (for example, you are getting something done with a receiver that has a tuner or a tuner, well Vince @ Audio Proz can do an FM alignment. To my knowledge, Peter doesn't do that. But, since I haven't needed one in a long time, that may have changed).
As to the quality of work, you can't go wrong with either of them.

jjmanda

Can you provide contact info? PM if that’s more acceptable under the rules of our beloved forum!

Top Bottom