• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Mr SMSL-Mandy,

I'm a French customer, and I'd like to have my SU-9 unit firmware fixed/replaced.
I buy it early 2021 using amazon.fr
I am pretty sure you can have it serviced by Audiophonics FR. There is info in this thread.

ABSNimes

You're right Veri, thank you, confirmed by a quick answer from @SMSL_Mandy.
It shows SMSL EU Service Center (SU-9 trouble) to be Audiophonics.
They are qualified to perform the update.
Thanks you for your support and hint ;)

Last edited:

chefffe

Please, give informations about how to deal with Amazon...

Regards
Did you buy from Amazon as Seller or from Shenzenaudio as Amazon Reseller? I bought from Shenzenaudio and contacted them via Amazon after the buy. They forwarded me all the needed things and i sent the SU9 accordingly to Audiophonics. Everything worked very well and smooth ...

ABSNimes

Hi All,
I've got a replacement unit for my SMSL SU-9 from Amazon.
Now I've got a brand new unit with s/n beginning with DAC6xxxx.
This little black box is working fine by now, very nice DAC !
Thanks to @SMSL_Mandy and [email protected] for the help provided.

This SU-9 is a very good DAC ;)

Fooliophile

Hi, a huge shout-out to @Audiophonics for taking in FW upgrades to units bought from different resellers via Amazon. Glad we have such service in EU so we are able to avoid costly shipping and cumbersome customs processes!

I too originally got the unit based on the review posted on ASR, and felt quite let down when the bug was found and no easy solution was promptly provided... Eventually, now the unit seems to be worthy again for many years to come :) (fingers crossed no HW faults alter that)

BrokenOath

I have read the whole thread and I have not seen a concrete solution to that particular problem for non-European buyers. I have just bought an SU-9 (not new for $350), and I can clearly ear an intermittent faint static noise at the left channel, and I do believe that it is related to that particular problem. I am in Canada, what tis the solution for us?

Domchuck29

an intermittent faint static noise at the left channel

Although my unit (now fixed) is an M500, not a SU-9, but they are practically the same: I do not think what you clearly hear is related to the higher distortion within the third harmonics range when the left channel is driven by itself, as discussed in this topic.

Mine had no static noise from one channel, I've read no similar feedback here.

I guess your unit (or maybe the source, the power supply or the speakers/headphones?) has an other issue. :rolleyes:

BrokenOath

Although my unit (now fixed) is an M500, not a SU-9, but they are practically the same: I do not think what you clearly hear is related to the higher distortion within the third harmonics range when the left channel is driven by itself, as discussed in this topic.

Mine had no static noise from one channel, I've read no similar feedback here.

I guess your unit (or maybe the source, the power supply or the speakers/headphones?) has an other issue. :rolleyes:
I have sent an email to SMSL regarding this problem, let's see what they'll come back with.

Veri

Master Contributor
I see a whole new M500 Mk II pop up:

ceausuc

I see a whole new M500 Mk II pop up:

Looking very good. How many dacs has smsl in the 400-500 price range? 7-8? I lost count , maybe they did too :)

Now, by mistake I found something even more interesting: X18:

SINAD=127 ?! :) A new King? Is Gustard trying to upset Topping ? :)

Veri

Master Contributor
You are right. Nothing interesting then :)
It's also fighting against the limits of the AP machine, so I doubt we'll ever see much better/higher unless that environment variable gets any better.

BrokenOath

Looking very good. How many dacs has smsl in the 400-500 price range? 7-8? I lost count , maybe they did too :)

Now, by mistake I found something even more interesting: X18:

SINAD=127 ?! :) A new King? Is Gustard trying to upset Topping ? :)
It would have been nice if they added a balanced 4-pins headphone connector.

Last edited:

Ryctor87

Hello to all!
I thought I should share this here as well.

I found an indicator of the new Firmware!

I want to thank everyone that provided support, in one way or the other, with this issue.
Hopefully this will help.
Just received word from Vendor, and my unit is new and updated with New Firmware.
I measured it, and left and right are showing equally good. so, if you have the same Version screen as
I do, with no "2020" Year, you are all set and good to go.

I hope this can help anyone trying to determine if their unit is updated or not.

The sound is detailed, smooth, not fatiguing, a lot of resolution without harshness.
Can listed for hours.
Great implementation of the ESS chip, this is end game for me.
SMSL SU-9 and SP-200, my new Monitoring setup, I want another one for the chain to AD back to the box.

Have fun and happy listening!
All the Best!
Ryctor_

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.51.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.51.58 AM.png
    694.9 KB · Views: 314

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a resolution to send my unit to China for repair/replacement.

Has anyone sent something to China from the USA (Texas)?

Not sure how that works.

TIA

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

Top Bottom