• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

aandres_gm

Planes are unable to fly without software since decades now although Boeing and Airbus do not seem to rely on beta testers. Hopefully.
SW testing is a full time job with it's own methodologies. Unfortunately many companies continue seeing this task as a burden.
I really hope you're not comparing the aerospace industry and its security standards with 300€ DACs. Also, Boeing kinda did have some issues not too long ago, in case you forgot about it.

Semla

Planes are unable to fly without software since decades now although Boeing and Airbus do not seem to rely on beta testers. Hopefully.
SW testing is a full time job with it's own methodologies. Unfortunately many companies continue seeing this task as a burden.
Boeing had its issues with software in the 737 Max, causing 2 crashes and the loss of hundreds of lives. The level of testing will always depend on the cost of the consequences - there is a point of diminishing returns, no?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I really hope you're not comparing the aerospace industry and its security standards with 300€ DACs. Also, Boeing kinda did have some issues not too long ago, in case you forgot about it.
Boeing had its issues with software in the 737 Max, causing 2 crashes and the loss of hundreds of lives. The level of testing will always depend on the cost of the consequences - there is a point of diminishing returns, no?
I am replying to the "there is no software release without serious bug" mantra.
Few years ago I was part of a group of 20 people who released 3 millions lines of code in a year. Our customer found 2 minor bugs after one year of testing on their side. We were not geniuses, we just used very strict methodologies.

aandres_gm

I am replying to the "there is no software release without serious bug" mantra.
Few years ago I was part of a group of 20 people who released 3 millions lines of code in a year. Our customer found 2 minor bugs after one year of testing on their side. We were not geniuses, we just used very strict methodologies.
You're comparing apples with pears. How much did your customers have to pay for the product you manufactured? Maybe that price tag allowed your company to set these stricter development and testing processes. I believe topping has like 3 engineers total, from what I gathered on this forum.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Hhm, fuzz-testing a DAC firmware with a feedback loop from the results of an analyzer of the output of the AP analyzer?
Good old manual checklist would have done but those need to evolve and that happens by making errors.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You're comparing apples with pears. How much did your customers have to pay for the product you manufactured? Maybe that price tag allowed your company to set these stricter development and testing processes. I believe topping has like 3 engineers total, from what I gathered on this forum.
Are you lecturing me about the difficulties met by small companies? I think it's better that we stop here ;).
Hhm, fuzz-testing a DAC firmware with a feedback loop from the results of an analyzer of the output of the AP analyzer?
Indeed, it would be a first step.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
We have certain test suite to perform before "taping out". The process usually takes at least half a day to set up and perform. To avoid the Murphy's Law applying. We need to make sure at least the stuff we know are avoided.
Issues like Frequency response on M400, high harmonics with different signal level/frequency between channels on SU9 M500 will be avoided in our test suite.
Even then there's seemingly issues with 384khz playback on D30pro where every single unit was tested in our testing department from 44.1khz to 384khz.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
We have many more now. :)

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SU9.jpg

I got the upgrade tool (similar to the one discussed earlier). But I need some time to upgrade and measure (personal reasons) further results will be released in about 24-30 hours

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At the same time, considering that this is an upgrade "tool", I will try my best to follow SMSL's solution for ordinary customers.

I promise that I will do my best to follow this discussion. As I said in my APX555 thread at the beginning, understanding, following and solving these kinds of things is one of the meanings of my establishment of L7Audiolab.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I promise that I will do my best to follow this discussion.
Thanks very much Prof. Wolf, your time on this is very much appreciated.

Oh and btw that was your 500th post, you've just become "addicted to fun and learning", congrats. :D

JSmith

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At the same time, considering that this is an upgrade "tool", I will try my best to follow SMSL's solution for ordinary customers.

I promise that I will do my best to follow this discussion. As I said in my APX555 thread at the beginning, understanding, following and solving these kinds of things is one of the meanings of my establishment of L7Audiolab.

Good work!

nhs

I'm very keen to see what will come out after the upgrading process and ... needless to say many many thanks to Prof.Wolf.

Top Bottom