• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg on active speakers

pk500

Steve seems like a nice fellow, but I just disagree with so much of what he says. His recent video on the top ten audiophile rules is full of hokum. I commented ...will likely not be real popular. His reviews of speakers are so over full of meaningless fluff words and subjective impressions of "magical" qualities. I would just dearly love to see him put some of his convictions up to the (blind) test...

Agree with this, in general. But I will praise Guttenberg for his devotion to reviewing budget audiophile stuff, either for people new to the hobby, with fiscal restraint or limited budgets. That has helped me as I dive deeper into this wonderful rabbit hole of a hobby.

Reviews are never purely objective, but every reviewer seems to have some flaw. Guttenberg's hokum, Zeos' gushing over most products and taking 25 minutes to film a video in which he does nothing but A/B audio testing, YouTuber "experts" lavishing praise over everything sent to them for free, etc.

Only Amir here at ASR is infallible. All hail, Amir! :)

pk500

Zeos cracks me up at times. But I think he's more of a YouTube "entertainer" than a proper reviewer.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm just stuck in the old school audiophile world I guess. That and I don't have unlimited funds to play with all the new actives like some do. I hope that whatever investment I make in gear will give me long term durability and a company that will stand behind it. If you plunk down $20k or more on D&D or Kii will the component continue to function for at least 10-15 years, we see way to much of expensive gear from young companies that lets the smoke out in the sort term. Will either of those manufacturers even be around in 10-15 years to provide any type of support at all?
Integrated actives aren't the only way to provide modern SOTA performance, the separated approach like the JBL M2 offers performance at least as good with the advantage being upgradeable-repairable at any point from the DAC to the speaker drivers.
I believe this is the path that the High End audiophile market will take. For better or worse it still leaves the window open for everyone to make money from the reviewers to the snake oil cable manufacturers. True audiophiles will have the opportunity to pick each component as in the past, use DSP and measuring gear like REW to put together something whose end result will be better then the one stop integrated actives offer, and give him the peace of mind that if one channel of the amp goes down he doesn't lose the entire system for very long. I see DAC's or preamps becoming more active as in the HT market. Fairly automated DSP as the ARC correction software that Anthem offers in it's STR preamp is just the begining for the audiophile that doesn't want to be completely hands-on in the DSP correction.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Top Bottom