• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Amp + AVR. Youtube Video with Stereo Amp Audio Left/Right. Is this possible ?

rana_kirti

Movies

AVR (with Pre-outs) powers all the 5.1 channels. Video by default is available.

Music

Stereo Amp powers the Left/Right. Video can also be made available ?

Essentially want use AVR for Movies and the Stereo Amp for Music with the same Left/Right speaker of the 5.1 setup but also should display video i,e playing videos from You tube on TV and listen to the audio via Stereo Amp.

Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't think there's a good way to make this work.
Why not use the AVR for both music and movies?

OP
R

rana_kirti

Dont have a separate 2 channel source to connect directly to Stereo Amp.

want to use Firestick with aim of Video on Youtube + Music on Stereo Amp.

Will be using a Firestick 4K for both Music+Movies. No Cd player & No Bluray player. Everything from the Firestick 4K, thats the only source.

Equipment

75" U7K
Denon X3800
Marantz PM8006
Firestick 4K Max

The Mapping

Center/SL/SR -------------------> AVR
Front Left/Right AVR Preout --->Stereo Amp

Firestick 4K --->TV eARC------>AVR
Firestick 4K---->TV Optical--->Stereo AMP

in above scenario whenever want to watch video (Youtube) + listen audio (Stereo Amp), what will be the fastest/smoothest way to switch between Movies and Music ?

will i need to get into TV menu and change output from HDMI to Optical and vice versa ?

thanks.

SMc

Firestick 4K --->TV eARC------>AVR
Firestick 4K---->TV Optical--->Stereo AMP

in above scenario whenever want to watch video (Youtube) + listen audio (Stereo Amp), what will be the fastest/smoothest way to switch between Movies and Music ?

will i need to get into TV menu and change output from HDMI to Optical and vice versa ?

thanks.
Each speaker looking at two amps? Get a speaker level switch box.

It's unlikely the Marantz is appreciably better than the Denon.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does the PM8006 have an optical connection? If not, you're going to need a streamer with a DAC like the Bluesound Node but that will save you all the aggravation of switching Audio on the TV for a price.

Your point is exactly why I want my AVR to be as musical as possible. Manufacturers add Zone2, Zone3, HDMI output 2 and 3 and height channel amplification that very few people use.

Please beef up the 2 channel and center instead so that it sounds like a Sugden (I've no clue what a Sugden sounds like but I'm just using it as an imaginary standard) :)

OP
R

rana_kirti

is there a way to not connect the the Stereo Amp the AVR at all?

avr---5.1 speakers
stereo amp----2 speakers (front the 5.1)

play movies via avr to 5.1

play youtube music video on screens the optical out from tv to the 2 speakers left/right ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Marantz doesn’t really have more power, nor will it do much better distortion wise. And most importantly, you’ll miss all the processing and room core goodness of the AVR. Just skip the thing and use the AVR. Objectively you’ll get much better sound.

OP
R

rana_kirti

but most reviews online and on YouTube always say that even a basic 2 channel amp with sound immensely better for MUSIC than even a high end AVR.

why they say like that?

Beave

Major Contributor
Because they're either ignorant or they're trying to sell you something.

Edit: I see you have asked the same question on multiple forums and have gotten similar answers.

OP
R

rana_kirti

Because they're either ignorant or they're trying to sell you something.

Edit: I see you have asked the same question on multiple forums and have gotten similar answers.
oh so the 2 channel integrated stereo hifi industry is a lie then....?

yes, it's my belief that many knowledge audio masters are spread across the forums. all intelligent ones are unfortunately not together at one forum/place. they are spread across like galaxies in the universe.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oh so the 2 channel integrated stereo hifi industry is a lie then....?
No, it's much worse: the whole industry is full of lies and snake oil, sometimes unknowingly, but oftentimes quite deliberate. The number of channels has little to do with it ;)

The simple truth is that sighted comparisons are largely worthless. Human auditory memory is a few seconds long at best. You can't expect people to recall what an amp sounded like from months ago, and then compare it to the current one under review. That's just silly. Never mind that you'll need to level match to actually do a proper comparison. Even mood differences between testing days will throw off any resemblance of a comparison.
yes, it's my belief that many knowledge audio masters are spread across the forums. all intelligent ones are unfortunately not together at one forum/place. they are spread across like galaxies in the universe.
What do you mean, we're here ;)

You can try setting up a test yourself. It will need a bit of effort though, and you'll probably need somebody to help you.

OP
R

rana_kirti

if I use the x4800 with pm6007/8006 and front left/right connected via pre outs after calibration will there be a sound signature difference between the denon center and marantz left right ?

in above case the marantz will be used a power amp right with no software colouring of the marantz amp?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if I use the x4800 with pm6007/8006 and front left/right connected via pre outs after calibration will there be a sound signature difference between the denon center and marantz left right ?

in above case the marantz will be used a power amp right with no software colouring of the marantz amp?
That will work fine without audible colouring.

It is just un-necessary - unless you are wanting to have an 11 speaker system (IE make use of the two additional processing channels that don't have a built in amp in the Denon)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
but most reviews online and on YouTube always say that even a basic 2 channel amp with sound immensely better for MUSIC than even a high end AVR.

why they say like that?
They generalise too much. Plenty of bad performing AVR's and it's not a easy task to pack so much active chenels and electronics in small chassis and even harder to do it properly. Denon (with it's upps and downs) is pretty much as good as it comes for AVR's. Audicity while ain't the best it's good and complete DSP correction including loudness (normalisation), DAC performance varying from good to good enough and power one's in a same manner. So you didn't really need separate stereo amp with one of those (except you want more power to mains which ain't you're case I think).
There are other ways to get there but they are more complicated tho can be more flexible. The preamp higher end BR's are becoming rarity and tho they will have better analog output quality (higher SINAD) they are still under state of art in that category and video processing greatly depends on brand (and good part of it won't apply to YouTube anyhow). Higher tire multichannel audio card or interface will again get you in the very good performance category (not that you really need better including transmission losses) and mid range PC or potent laptop is still heck of a processor. Thats obviously most messy approach but still most flexible one. Anyway you will still need a measurement microphone and a PC to do measurements verification and Denon app to more gradually tune up Audicity (for going with their AVR obviously).
I go with PC with 8 chenel audio card for humble 2.2 setup, DSP player is JRiver and dependantly I use MadVR for local video processing mostly with beemer and let the TV do a broadcasting HDR (HLG to display) when needed wanted and of course on it. Caught my self cuple of times thinking about adding uper midrange Panasonic series 7~8 BR ali do it doesn't make much sense in my use case scenario to add HLG to beemer ( little more than 2000 ANSI lumens on it's own, color calibrated and in Eco mode) as it's less pronounced on beemer anyhow.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They generalise too much. Plenty of bad performing AVR's and it's not a easy task to pack so much active chenels and electronics in small chassis and even harder to do it properly. Denon (with it's upps and downs) is pretty much as good as it comes for AVR's

I'm in the same boat as Rana. I'm trying to upgrade from a Marantz SR8002. I got lucky with it and I bought another 2 but I knew it was not going to be easy to replace it especially after I saw it pop up in reviews of other high-end AVRs as the reference AVR of the person doing the review. I was hoping time would help with advancements but I'm not sure the industry has moved forward.

I returned a RZ50 very quickly.

I got a Denon 4800h and I'll admit that I enjoy listening to music on it and now that I've powered the Fronts with my old 8002 (using 4 channels to bi-amp) which is probably 140-150 watts per channel for the 4 and the Denon is in pre-out mode, it sounds better.

However, in songs like the following, the 8002 sounds amazing.

Kitaro's Light of the Spirit (Live in America), Cosmic Love
Norah Jones I've got to see you again
Pink Floyd Happier Days of our Lives/ Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Dire Straits (Almost anything that involves guitar and voice so the entire anthology)
Sade Kiss of Life
Zamfir The Lonely Shepherd

A lot of people talk DLBC, Diract Unplugged, blah, bluh, blah. Music is #1 in movies. I'll repeat that cause it bears repeating - music is #1 in movies (games, shows, and music)

The Marantz 8002 is so engaging with these songs. Does your 8006 sound the same with those songs? You can play the same songs on the 3800h and compare like I did.

The term engaging involves body movement (feet, head, shoulders) or smacking drums and guitar riffing even if you're not a musician. When something's engaging you will always lose yourself when listening critically to it because the critical parts of the brain are taken over by your pleasure parts. You don't question that it's good, you know it's good. It's ironic but the more engaging a piece of equipment is, the less often you play music on it because it's not easy to use it for background music.

OP
R

rana_kirti

the components mentioned are currently what I'm considering. it's in planning stage , haven't got them yet.

will place order once i able to figure out the simplest route. further research beings forward more queries.

firestick 4k->tv--->avr--->5.1
firestick 4k->tv->optical out->stereo->2.0

if we don't use the pm8006 via the x3800 preout, and connect it from the tv directly via optical in that case does it mean we can also get any other stereo amplifier which doesn't necessarily needs to have the HT BYpass option ?

popej

IMHO the best is the simplest configuration:
firestick 4k -> AVR 5.1 <- HDMI ARC-> TV

AVR does room correction (Audyssey), loudness correction (Dynamic EQ) and bass management (crossover for subwoofer). You get 5.1 for video and 2.1 for music. All processing done by AVR is beneficial for stereo sound.

PM8006 doesn't have optical input, does it? You need a DAC to connect it to TV. You could try following:

firestick 4k -> TV (HDMI ARC ) -> AVR (pre out front) -> (amp direct IN) PM8006 -> front speakers
.. AVR -> subwoofer, central and surround speakers
.. TV (optical) -> DAC -> (audio IN) PM8006

Then you would get simple 2.0 if you use DAC path and alternatively 5.1/2.1 if you turn on AVR and use HDMI ARC input on AVR and amp direct on PM8006. IMO this is a lot of complication only to save a favorite amplifier from obsolescence. No gain in sound quality.

Side note: I'm using similar config, but I have Chromecast with Google TV -> Yamaha AVR -> TV. I have replaced Yamaha with x3800h for a moment, and found that HDMI-CEC didn't work correctly. I had problems with switching inputs from Heos to CC.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just sell the PM8006 and enjoy the X3800h. There is really no point in using it next to the Denon.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@techsamurai as much as I remember this whose the app:
Not very stable or polished (and paid) but it will do (even with cuple of hangups) as you won't do correction often.

@rana_kirti HT bypass is nothing else but another direct mode (no DSP or processing of any kind), in this case for unbalanced RCA outputs from AVR. It basically outputs full V line out (same as any DAC out). Even with really not great and performance demonising DSP implementations a proper use of room correction is more beneficial then going without it. Getting the correction and placement done correctly ain't never direct or automatic. You need to put significant effort in finding speakers optimal placement for your space and do a bit by hand adoption to room correction (at least). It doesn't go any other way around even if you have the best components ever made. What you learn and when you get there which you will if you give enough effort to it even with far from top end components by any metric (as long as it's not broken or really behaving bad) is rewarding enough and you don't do it often.
You start and end with speakers and space integration when you really want to upgrade perceived quality of reproduction, rest will have far less effect.
So having a pair or two proper good behaving "full range" speakers or at least without bigger flaws is must and good integration of those with sub's and that's about it for music. Surrounds go a cuple steps more complex and it's difficult to get a deacent centre speaker.

Top Bottom