• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify Sound Quality: Wiim Mini vs. Chromecast Ultra > HDMI > TV optical passthrough and out

trailstar

I'm planning on a system which will likely be SMSL SU-1 + SMSL A300 + Dali Opticon 2 MKII.

I was going to get a Wiim Mini for Spotify and digital out but I have an old Chromecast Ultra lying around and if I can save some money...

I'm interested in sound quality. Will I lose anything with the Chromecast Ultra going through the TV via HDMI and optical out?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm planning on a system which will likely be SMSL SU-1 + SMSL A300 + Dali Opticon 2 MKII.

I was going to get a Wiim Mini for Spotify and digital out but I have an old Chromecast Ultra lying around and if I can save some money...

I'm interested in sound quality. Will I lose anything with the Chromecast Ultra going through the TV via HDMI and optical out?
Quite possibly as you don't know what processing the TV does to the signal between input and output. There is a good chance at the very least it will resample things. Whether thar is audible depends on how well it does it.

The Wiim is verifiably the same input and output.

Maybe try the TV route first. If it sounds crap or glitches, get the Wiim

popej

Chromecast doesn't support gapless playback. It is quite annoying when playing live or classic music.

Top Bottom