• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Recommendation (Stereo Setup) $12k USD Budget

RedStar101

Just joined this site. Been reading for the past 8 months or so. Owned a lot of stuff over the years but after joining this site (and being an engineer) wanted to go the route of data for my next purchase not objective opinions.

Room is average size. Listening is mainly streaming/local files.

Before joining, I last owned KEF LS50 and an Arcam amp which I enjoyed, but really intrigued going the active route. (I sold off nearly all my gear to purchase a really nice setup).

However, just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be considering. I'm about to pull the plug on a set of Genelec 8361A in white. But open to other ideas (or even a set of passive speakers + amp(s)).

Thoughts or other things I should consider. Budget is 12k for speaker or speaker/amps. Source components not coming from this budget.

Thanks in advance. Marty

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I think at this price point, the only question is if you'd want to spend some money on subwoofers. That said, if you can spend this much on speakers, I assume adding subwoofers later if necessary should be no problem.

Whatever you do, I'd buy nothing without DRC, so either Genelec with GLM or Neumann offerdings (which requires at least 1 of their DSP models) or standalone DRC if you choose something else.

I would also definitely look at the Dutch+Dutch 8C which is probably the most well rounded package when it comes to active speakers - it already includes the subs and comes with DRC as well.

And once you go there, Kii Three has to be mentioned as well.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like it loud, you might be able to swing a pair of JBL m2. Definitely a professional product but worth looking at. KH420 another option. 3 way options from M.E. Geithain.

I think at a certain level of performance, you should be also be looking for something you like looking at. The Kii and Dutch/Dutch options do well in this regard.

With professional products, I feel like they reach a level of fidelity where you end up spending more money for bass capability and output which you may or may not need. So I think the genelec coaxials with subs are probably a good way to go.

I'd try to audition them to see they meet or greatly exceed your needs for output.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At your budget of $12k you have too many options to even list. You can buy SOTA everything. Can you narrow down what you’re looking to achieve?

OP
R

RedStar101

Honestly just a well rounded setup. Something for critical listening. Enjoying a new album with my wife. Background music. And hooked up to a television as well for the occasional show (not much of a tv person).

Any reasons to not choose Genelec (other than what some say about possibly adding a sub later)? The D&D 8C look amazing, but also like how well established / support a company like Genelec is. (I actually have grown to like the look of the 8361A)

Reactions: CMB

MAB

Major Contributor
The Genelec 8361A is a pretty complete solution. Very little else is needed; a DAC and a pair of XLR cables. Perhaps a MiniDSP SHD and subs (more than one) later. Right out of the box they are awesome. With GLM or DIRAC or your favorite DSP, they can be made to sound like just about anything. And they can be used for your house party with no fear of blowing them up.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any reasons to not choose Genelec (other than what some say about possibly adding a sub later)? The D&D 8C look amazing, but also like how well established / support a company like Genelec is. (I actually have grown to like the look of the 8361A)

If you're OK with the appearance, premium price compared to competitors is literally the only reason not to buy. For $12k I think the 8351Bs + dual 7360s is a better choice than 8361A in most scenarios but I can certainly understand wanting less stuff in your living room. GLM makes it so easy to quickly integrate subs

OP
R

RedStar101

I can get Genelec 8361A for less than 10k (with GLM), the D&D 8C are 12.5k. KH420 are 10.5k.

It looked to me like the cheapest option.

CMB

To keep it short, I spend 2 years thinking about it for a home use (comparing with so much others like Neumann/DD8C/etc) and ended buying the white 8361with no regrets at all what's or ever (and no need of sub so far).

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can get Genelec 8361A for less than 10k (with GLM), the D&D 8C are 12.5k. KH420 are 10.5k.

It looked to me like the cheapest option.

In that case, unless you can get similar pricing on the 8351B + subs, that's a no brainer in my book. FWIW, I recently visited the Genelec Experience Center in London and they were fairly direct in their assertion that the only reason to choose the 61 over the 51, assuming subs are part of the equation, is "if you need the extra SPL".

rolloj

Just thinking about:

Avantgarde Acoustic Zero 1 Pro​

I owned a long time ago a pair of the Uno's with a low powered 45 amp and it was stunning on almost everything.
I do not know if the Zero 1 pro is still in production, but I would invest in that unit.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Just joined this site. Been reading for the past 8 months or so. Owned a lot of stuff over the years but after joining this site (and being an engineer) wanted to go the route of data for my next purchase not objective opinions.

Room is average size. Listening is mainly streaming/local files.

Before joining, I last owned KEF LS50 and an Arcam amp which I enjoyed, but really intrigued going the active route. (I sold off nearly all my gear to purchase a really nice setup).

However, just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be considering. I'm about to pull the plug on a set of Genelec 8361A in white. But open to other ideas (or even a set of passive speakers + amp(s)).

Thoughts or other things I should consider. Budget is 12k for speaker or speaker/amps. Source components not coming from this budget.

Thanks in advance. Marty
Great choice. I would buy the 8361 in white too. (I would place them horizontally. Positioned that way, they look much better to me.)

I would consider getting a streamer solution that is very user friendly to you.
As I found out, there are many choices, but really good ones, not so much. I would consider going the dyi route with rpi; going for Roon; or choosing the BluOs route.

Personally, as my room is very lively, I would get something that makes the room acoustics acceptable before I apply GLM eq. I imagine there are many rooms where an easy gain like this can be made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom