• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Plans (or kits available in UK/EU?)

Richdw

Hi All,

I keep seeing review or mention of good quality speakers, but the trend on ASR is towards speakers made or marketed in the USA. Whilst this is completely understandable, given @amirm 's location, it does leave us here in the UK and EU less informed about potential self-build speaker options here, and how the resulting speakers measure.

I'm selling my main speakers (Jamo Classic 8's) to a friend, and would be interested in building my own speakers to replace them. I could do this from online plans, or a kit. I'm based in the UK so kits within the UK or EU would be of interest. Online plans would be particularly interesting if the parts were known to be available here (and ideally costed in £ or € ).

Speaker requirements:
-I'm looking to spend less than £1000 / $1400 / €1100.
-Option 1: Pair of full-range passive floorstanders like my current Jamo's in terms of SPL output and power demands but with deeper/cleaner bass extension.
-Option 2: Pair of smaller passive standmounts, but with budget for a sub, which itself could be DIY or off the shelf.
-Option 3: Active floorstanders. But I am yet to see an affordable DIY implementation of this measures well.

On all options, I require good dispersion as the system will be on one side of a room measuring approx 3.5m x 6.0m.

Any links much appreciated!
Many thanks, Richard

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.wilmslowaudio.co.uk. have been around a very long time. I did hear stories of them changing hands so a checkup on them may be worthwhile.
I have never bought anything from them but was tempted by this and this which are above your budget but there are several kits.

Plesuvius

Have any of these kits been tested here? There is a lot of choice and I can't easily tell if my speakers will be much improved by any of them.

Thanks for the links btw, I was about to post this topic or very similar.

OP
R

Richdw

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry for the slow replies, we just had covid for Christmas...

Those are all great links, and there's definitely some great looking speaker kits out there. Does anyone in the UK/EU have suggestions for which kits might offer the best price vs performance (ideally measured performance)?

I wonder if ASR could nominate and train someone with the correct Klippel Nearfield Scanner to test speakers this side of the Atlantic, and produce comparable datasets to Amir's? This would get around the problem of extreme postage costs, and very different regional availability/prices of different speakers etc.

Many thanks,
Richard

Reactions: buz
Top Bottom