• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf replacement for P. Carmody's Amiga

RandomFactoid

(reposting from FB)

Hi! First post here :)

We might refurnish our lounge where I currently have a pair of DIY Paul Carmody's Amigas. It's a small room (4.8x3.5m) with not very high ceiling either (typical British architecture..).
I might need to switch to bookshelf speakers instead of floorstanders due to space and thought you'd have some suggestions.
Main use - watching movies, but occasionally just stereo playback.
My ideas so far:
1. KEF LS50 - I like the looks, but it seems like the audiophile community is quite split about how good or bad they are. Would be a simple solution as no DIY required (where's the fun then..?)

2. DIY something. If I do, I'd like something more 'high end'. Ideally something that's tried and tested and can easily be upgraded to home theatre if needed by adding a center channel, surrounds, etc. Hypothetical budget.. let's say £/$/€1000. I have read very good feedback about these:
https://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR.html
...but Meniscus Audio, who I believe, used to sell kits, have closed.

What would you build ?
1f642.png
WhateverI decide, the speakers will have to stand pretty close to the fron wall and will probably be quite close to side walls. Not ideal, but that's where we are atm.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 21219

What would you build ?

Because you mention "typical British architecture", I assume you 1) will benefit from controlled dispersion designs, and 2) don't need extreme output.

If I were you, I'd check out the Scan-Speak ReDiscovery kit, and then the SEAS kits named Idunn, Mimir and Bragi. (That last one is MTM, which you may find advantageous.)

Other members will undoubtedly be around to give you their choices. Whichever way you decide ... good luck! ;)

Jim

OP
R

RandomFactoid

Because you mention "typical British architecture", I assume you 1) will benefit from controlled dispersion designs, and 2) don't need extreme output.

If I were you, I'd check out the Scan-Speak ReDiscovery kit, and then the SEAS kits named Idunn, Mimir and Bragi. (That last one is MTM, which you may find advantageous.)

Other members will undoubtedly be around to give you their choices. Whichever way you decide ... good luck! ;)

Jim
Thanks - will definitely look into those :)

Top Bottom