• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

speaker form following function

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the quebec guy’s setup and the wilson’s may serve as a reminder that there is no reason function should follow form. the linkwitz designs, the genelec and neumann, are examples of engineering first. to some extent the revel. less so the kef. the dutch 8c seem to me among the best blend. but those b&w, wilson,, others . . . pure fantasy.

I now instinctively react with skepticism to form factors which have no obvious engineering point - too many to list, but those crazy b&w tails and spirals, the exotic woodwork, etc.

fine with me if someone wants to gaze at such things, but asr has goaded engineers to do better, and should continue doing so. the exception to measurement excellence but listening preference may be dipole and cardioid designs. there are riffs on siegfried linkwitz’s designs which seem to be well-regarded, I note. in the case of the linkwitz speakers, there is a sacrifice of smoothness of response a la dutch, genelec, and neumann, but siegfried was designing alone using such parts as were available. given that, and the lovely openness and imaging, he may be forgiven response imperfections. i love the dutch 8c but always return to linkwitz dipoles. ugly as sin, but so beguiling to hear.

Top Bottom