• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound card as oscilloscope, can be done, and easily too

wwenze

Major Contributor
I foresee two types of responses to this thread: "Yes we know that already", and "omg you must be mad". This thread is to tell the latter it can be done, as myself was apprehensive to actually doing it.

I needed something to check whether my PSUs have gotten noisy or not. One task is to confirm whether the PSU for my ONT modem is indeed dead, second one is to check whether I should replace my 10yo ATX PSU or not.

Long story short, the tools required are: Pretty much nothing except for external attenuation, which I simply used resistors in a 10:1 ratio as these power supplies are 12V. I first tried with a DC blocking capacitor, but decided to skip it later and reach lower bass (?) because 1) The DC blocking capacitor in the sound card is also doing the same job, and even without the DC capacitor, the voltage reaching the soundcard is 1.2V so it's safe anyway. When power on, the initial spike on some of the PSU just reaches 0dBFS for maybe one sample, so we are still pretty much safe.

Being a sound card, it does not tell you the actual voltages, although ARTA has the feature to calibrate your sound card. What I'm thinking of doing however is to measure a few reference voltages e.g. 1V, save it as a wav file, and then compare everything in Audacity.

For now I don't have the reference 1V yet but comparing the broken PSU (top) with other PSUs at no load it is clear that it is borked.
GNeA94N_d.webp

Katji

Major Contributor
^^ wow... :-o
So what happens that they deteriorate? (Just btw.) ...So a computer that was quiet could start putting noise on the USB? :confused: ......And lead to someone looking at USB decrappifiers. :rolleyes:

OP
W

wwenze

Major Contributor
Then whatever it is powering stops working. The ONT modem that the top PSU was powering stopped working. I need to check how bad my current ATX PSU is compared to a new one before it causes my new build in the future to stop working too.

I have to say that, while the modem was still working, my bank account's numbers did not have any noise. Just an amplitude that is much lower than expected but that is not the fault of the modem.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
btw, REW has a full featured scope mode..

Offler

^^ wow... :-o
So what happens that they deteriorate? (Just btw.) ...So a computer that was quiet could start putting noise on the USB? :confused: ......And lead to someone looking at USB decrappifiers. :rolleyes:

When I was going to buy my last PSU, I was looking for technical reviews which is quite common for PC components.

Such data were available in one or two of them, which included load at 10,25,50,75, 90, 100 and 110 percent of nominal wattage. It was changing a lot.

Also power for components does not end with PSU. Mainboard and graphic card have its own buck convertors in multiple phases. If load is close or above designated power, you might experience audible coil whine regardless the power delivery from PSU is OK. And again it changes as the load changes.

In very specific situations, signals may leak as well into audible spectrum, I have not experienced it myself, have seen demonstrations of that in videos, yet I have no explanation why it happens - signals in PCI-E, USB and everywhere else should be well above audible band.

Such noise should not get out through PSU and/or mains outlet, i have Surge Protection (with coils, capacitors and ofc varistors) just to be sure. It can leak through case, USB, HDMI, DisplayPort and analog audio inputs/outputs.

eas

Re Tek310a. Neat, but can you use it as a sound card? ;)

Top Bottom