• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound blaster ae-7 to old receiver or power amp

theshade

Will a soundblaster ae-7 decode dolby and dts then can i connect it directly to an old receiver? Pioneer VSA-D7ex. My receiver got busted and this is the cheapest I could find. Is this a good idea or just buy a new entry level receiver? The denon 3600 is not available here in my country and prices are way higher than us prices. I will also have to find a way to import a soundblaster ae-7. Only the asus zonar sound cards are available here.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So your thinking of buying a Sound Blaster AE-7 and connect it to the Pioneer VSA-D7ex receiver.
Is this for 2-channel or 5.1-channel or 7.1-channel audio?
Connect them using optical (digital) cable or analog (wave) connection?
An Asus Xonar DS sound card could be used to connect optically to the Pioneer.

OP
T

theshade

It is for 7.1 movies. Dolby digital and dts hd. The pioneer receiver is circa 2000. I could get it about half the price than brand new entry level current year. Around $230. I dunno what connections would be better but probably the toslink than 3 3.5mm to rca.

twsecrest

S/PDIF optical and coaxial can normally pass 2-channels of digital PCM (uncompressed) audio, 24-bit/96k or 24-bit/192k,
or can pass up to 6-channel (5.1) of 24-bit/48k, using encoding (compression), Dolby can decode Dolby, DTS can decode DTS.
So Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master audio (full Blu-ray audio) can only pass thru optical as 2-channel audio.
With 5.1, audio will be about the same as DVD audio (24-bit/48k).
If you connected using analog (AE-7 to VSA-D7ex), then you should get 5.1-channel 24-bit/192k.
And old Asus Xonar Essence D2X card comes with 7.1 analog output.
Are you using a 7.1 speaker setup?

Aerith Gainsborough

Is this a good idea or just buy a new entry level receiver?
If I were you, I'd just buy an entry level AVR.
230$ + The cost of an AE7 (around 200$) + possible import costs, should put you in the same ballpark as an entry level AVR anyway.

Top Bottom