• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony UBP-X800M2 HDMI Audio Out to Emotiva XDA-3 Question

Vandemann

I know there's been a discussion regarding the issue of audio only HDMI but my concern is component compatibility. I want to replace an OPPO BDP-103 but be able to play SACDs through an external DAC and without resolution being limited by S/PDIF and having to deal with an HDMI splitter anymore. The Sony UBP-X800M2 has an audio only HDMI output and the Emotiva XDA-3 has an HDMI audio in. The XDA-3 manual warns that it may not be compatible with all HDMI audio sources.

Can anyone offer insight on what I'm up against? I'm not worried about the technical measurement of the DAC as much as the possibility of wasting my time and money due to incompatibility .

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't think the XDA-3 supports DSD input via HDMI.
I think DSD input only works via USB.

OP
V

Vandemann

The XDA-3 product description states the following: "Stereo digital audio via HDMI-ARC (sample rates and bit depths determined by source)"

staticV3

Master Contributor
The XDA-3 product description states the following: "Stereo digital audio via HDMI-ARC (sample rates and bit depths determined by source)"
Every mention of DSD on the product page and the user manual is strictly linked to the USB input:
Screenshot_20231118-233648_Drive.png

I think the "(sample rates and bit depths determined by source)" part of the ARC input refers to only regular PCM rates and depths.

OP
V

Vandemann

I noticed that as well. I'm asking here because I don't know what, if any, limitations HDMI ARC may present to a DSD signal.

OP
V

Vandemann

Just spoke with Emotiva. The HDMI in on the XDA-3 will only work as an ARC connection and wont allow for DSD playback.

Tre2023

Unfortunately, being an ARC port, it will only work when connected to a TV’s ARC port and be limited to the bandwidth of the ARC spec as well.
IMG_4348.jpeg

Top Bottom