• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SSCS5

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

Anyone hear the Sony SSCS5 3 ways the Cheap Audio Man keep talking about? How are they? Amazon audio ratings are useless. Everything gets 4.5 stars.

And what is the value compared to just finding decent old stuff on Craigslist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I still haven't come to grips with bookshelf speakers. I literally had ones from around 1984. Teac self powered. They were ok. Don't think they even called them bookshelf back then. But man, the ones I had, in my profile pic had no name. They did have a horn, tweeter, midrange, port in the back along with a 15 inch reflex speaker that didnt make sound just moved. With adjustable knobs. The bass player in my band got them for $250 in the 80s and sold them to me for $125. Were they flat? Beats me. That was 20 years ago. But this little plastic and metal crap does not impress me. My Rockit 5 4G? Meh. People can boast about them all they want, I remember what real speakers sound like. Big.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still haven't come to grips with bookshelf speakers. I literally had ones from around 1984. Teac self powered. They were ok. Don't think they even called them bookshelf back then. But man, the ones I had, in my profile pic had no name. They did have a horn, tweeter, midrange, port in the back along with a 15 inch reflex speaker that didnt make sound just moved. With adjustable knobs. The bass player in my band got them for $250 in the 80s and sold them to me for $125. Were they flat? Beats me. That was 20 years ago. But this little plastic and metal crap does not impress me. My Rockit 5 4G? Meh. People can boast about them all they want, I remember what real speakers sound like. Big.
Big speakers may yet have a comeback. Larger woofers or dual and even triple woofers are common now and now we just need 12", 15" and 18" woofs back.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I'm tempted to ask people about stuff they are practically giving away on Facebook Market and Craigslist. But this crowd may be too young to know them. Basically their parents systems. I would guess their parents are not that impressed with what are high end speakers now. My theory is they didn't want to ship or store big wooden speakers so they talked everyone into these little metal and plastic boxes they can store 500 of in a truck. Not bad. But decent brand's 3 ways in the 80s and 90s could go down to 40hz no problem. What expensive studio monitors do now. Worse, people are listening to music on those fucking bluetooths. "Surround sound" my sack. Surround sound evolved from stereo to quadraphonic to literally putting a bunch of speakers around a room. One speaker aiming in different directions is not even as good as having two pointing at your head much less good headphones maximizing stereo effects.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would guess their parents are not that impressed with what are high end speakers now. My theory is they didn't want to ship or store big wooden speakers so they talked everyone into these little metal and plastic boxes they can store 500 of in a truck.
I was sales and service during the 80s and 90s and part of the 2000s. People chose those small speakers. All sizes of speakers where available and people wanted bookshelf speakers. They did not want 12" woofers and larger.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I was sales and service during the 80s and 90s and part of the 2000s. People chose those small speakers. All sizes of speakers where available and people wanted bookshelf speakers. They did not want 12" woofers and larger.
Weird. But think about the 50s and 60s. Those giant 500 pound "Entertainment centers." With a damn bar on top or something. I once bought a Fischer receiver for a couple hundred that was pulled out of one of them from the mid 60s. Had to build a cabinet for it with oak. Did it sound good? Yes, but the damn thing would have to warm up so I would have to keep adjusting the volume for 45 minutes. Stopped working just before I moved, but I pulled the tubes out and got my money back. Not surprising. Telefunken tubes made in Dresden, Germany. They didn't even say Telefunken but they had some stars on it or something so people recognized them. I thought they seemed a little weak when I put them into a tester. But the guy was happy with them. Old tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michou

Anyone hear the Sony SSCS5 3 ways the Cheap Audio Man keep talking about? How are they? Amazon audio ratings are useless. Everything gets 4.5 stars.

And what is the value compared to just finding decent old stuff on Craigslist?

I bought a pair from Amazon for 73$ plus shipping. These are some of the worst sounding speakers I had to experience in my home. No bass, lots of treble, can't play loud enough, huge disappointment. Try something else that cost more like a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2, JBL Studio 530, Elac B5.2, Triangle Borea 03 or some inexpensive Focal or Q Acoustics speakers.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

The Kenwoods look to be the better choice. The others are not good choices for any means and ways.
I couldn't say. I just recognize the brands. And am skeptical things have improved so much newer ones are worth $600, when I can see Marantz bookshelfs for $40. I know they made some high end stuff. So did Fischer until they went solid state and were made in Japan. Pretty common in business. Build a reputation, then exploit the name to sell crap.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird. But think about the 50s and 60s. Those giant 500 pound "Entertainment centers." With a damn bar on top or something. I once bought a Fischer receiver for a couple hundred that was pulled out of one of them from the mid 60s. Had to build a cabinet for it with oak. Did it sound good? Yes, but the damn thing would have to warm up so I would have to keep adjusting the volume for 45 minutes. Stopped working just before I moved, but I pulled the tubes out and got my money back. Not surprising. Telefunken tubes made in Dresden, Germany. They didn't even say Telefunken but they had some stars on it or something so people recognized them. I thought they seemed a little weak when I put them into a tester. But the guy was happy with them. Old tech.
Ahahaaa. Yes, I remember very well. With the damn bar on top...LoL. :D Too funny. The thing is I would love a bar with a stereo in it or vice versa

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't say. I just recognize the brands. And am skeptical things have improved so much newer ones are worth $600, when I can see Marantz bookshelfs for $40. I know they made some high end stuff. So did Fischer until they went solid state and were made in Japan. Pretty common in business. Build a reputation, then exploit the name to sell crap.
Yes, they do that and I observed from a front row seat the raping and pillaging of brand name integrity for some years until it slowed down and the big names where all but nothing anymore.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
BVL, you can do better. I wanted to like these, as I love cheaper stuff, but did not sound good to me, even in the big box store. Lots of good vintage options, or modern ELACs, Wharfedale's, etc. under $350.

For used/vintage, my personal favorites include KEFs, ADS L series, Polk Audio, PSB, Paradigm...

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Ahahaaa. Yes, I remember very well. With the damn bar on top...LoL. :D Too funny. The thing is I would love a bar with a stereo in it or vice versa
And people think 70s and 80s TVs were heavy. What do they think they used to come in? All you needed was a forklift to buy a stereo system.

Attachments

• 66206922.jpg
    66206922.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 44

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And people think 70s and 80s TVs were heavy. What to they think they used to come in? All you needed was a forklift to buy a stereo system.
I delivered many console and cabinet TVs in the 80s. Lots of Italian wine and snacks where to be found.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I delivered many console and cabinet TVs in the 80s. Lots of Italian wine and snacks where to be found.
I got an old radio for furniture at a garage sale a few years back. That has a 15 inch in back of it. Wonder if it's any good. Heavy as all crap.

Attachments

• Radio2.jpg
    Radio2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 40

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an old radio for furniture at a garage sale a few years back. That has a 15 inch in back of it. Wonder if it's any good. Heavy as all crap.
Ohhhh that is very good. Sigh*.. It appears to be of the date period where they used real and wood fiber for buttons and knobs. very interesting piece. I would love that to bits.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Ohhhh that is very good. Sigh*.. It appears to be of the date period where they used real and wood fiber for buttons and knobs. very interesting piece. I would love that to bits.
One of the knobs was missing. Had to get a new one. Bakelite. A kind of early plastic, resin or something. But yeah, without the 15 inch speaker and magnet I think it would be heavy as hell anyway. Not sure what that is. Cedar? Redwood? Something solid. I love that 20s-30s art deco era. Although this could be early 40s. Don't remember.

Top Bottom