• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SSCS5

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the knobs was missing. Had to get a new one. Bakelite. A kind of early plastic, resin or something. But yeah, without the 15 inch speaker and magnet I think it would be heavy as hell anyway. Not sure what that is. Cedar? Redwood? Something solid. I love that 20s-30s art deco era. Although this could be early 40s. Don't remember.
It's all in the woodgrain and ergonomic design with the combined technology that sold it to the operators. The truth is most people had no idea what they where doing and they turned the dial and got sound. Voila! I had full time access to a 78 record player with lots of records and a old radio like this when I was growing up and they where wonderful pieces to have access too.

redjr

Okay.... Does anyone have anything positive to say about these speakers, now that we've gone down memory lane?

jooc

Okay.... Does anyone have anything positive to say about these speakers, now that we've gone down memory lane?

I own two pair. I don't really have anything negative to say about them beyond they're only so big, and the soundstage and bass reflect that.

For near-field, detailed listening they're phenomenal for the price, IMO. If you want to fill a big room with some thundering sound I'd go with something else or pair these with a subwoofer.

But there's no hype here, these are very good speakers for the money.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
They are "OK" if nothing else is available, but as far as I'm concerned, the current lower end ELACs sound much better for someone who has to buy new and has a budget of $350 or less.

redjr

I own two pair. I don't really have anything negative to say about them beyond they're only so big, and the soundstage and bass reflect that.

For near-field, detailed listening they're phenomenal for the price, IMO. If you want to fill a big room with some thundering sound I'd go with something else or pair these with a subwoofer.

But there's no hype here, these are very good speakers for the money.
I just bought a pair for $123, based on a review from the Cheap Audio Man. In full disclosure, I have not listened to them for very long - yet. Just a brief, causal, near-field listen in my shop. They were connected to a 70W LM3886 amp. No subwoofer connected.

I have to say that initially, when I unboxed them they were sufficiently heavy, so I thought hum, maybe there's something here I will like. Nice enough looking to use anywhere. Then I started playing a few audio tracks. My, my. These speakers absolutely have none of what I expect a speaker to have. The sound in one word; CLINICAL. They sounded thin, digital, anemic, and absolutely no sound stage. Nor, not even a little bass trying to poke through! Nothing was smooth, articulate, or dynamic. And I love dynamics. I want to hear; crisp highs, smooth mids, and some, some level of bass! These speakers provided none of those characteristics - that translate to pleasing sound. I don't know if there's hope for these to improve. Frankly, I have a pair of Dayton Audio B-652 2-way speakers($49/pr), that would win hands down in every way with much, much better (and pleasing) sound! Even at $123, this budget speaker may not be saved - at least for me. The music through all bookshelf speakers, can be immediately improved by adding a powered and properly tuned sub-woofer. This speaker needs one in a very bad way. Even in a near-field listening environment, adding a small sub, tucked away under a desk would go a long way to improving the low-end of these speakers, and overall tonal expression.

My caveat at the start of this short review, was I hadn't listened long, or critically. Perhaps these speakers need some 'break-in' period. I intend to give them a proper listen with another amp, and set up properly in my listening room. I hope they will sound better. I'll update my comments when I've given them a proper listen.

Top Bottom