• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonos-like stereo with non-smart speakers, how?

EdTice

I'm not replying with an amazing solution that no one else has mentioned, but rather to say that I've been using the Sonos Amp for over a year now, and it's been excellent. I picked it up on a good Black Friday deal back in 2020.

I'm using it for TV sound (via HDMI) and have hooked up a pair of slim Monitor Audio Radius 270 speakers. Although this does require speaker cables, the "wireless" Sonos One speakers I have as rear speakers need power cables to be run to each of them anyway.

While this solution doesn't get rid of the speaker wires, it does give you smart features and some wireless support, while still allowing the use of passive loudspeakers. The Sonos app and amp firmware have also been upgraded a few times since I got it, and I now have DTS support added.

The amp does support up to two of the Sonos wireless subwoofers, and it looks like there's a wireless Sonos "Mini Sub" due for release soon, although it looks like only one of those will be supported.

For TV use the "phantom" center channel works quite well, and it even supports my LG TVs magic wand remote for adjusting the volume so I don't have to go into the app for that. The LG remote adjusts the TV volume if the TV is on, and the volume of whatever I'm streaming if the TV is off.
The Sonos equipment is popular for a reason. It's similar to SVS in that regard. They charge a premium but they make things easy and produce pretty good sound (better than you could get at any price twenty years ago). For those who are unable or unwilling to come to a forum like this and learn, you can pay Sonos or SVS a premium and you will get kit that sets up in minutes and is easy to use. I have a Sonos speaker that came with my house. It's pretty darn impressive.

The OP wanted to get separate components due to valid longevity concerns which is nice as our world is full of eWaste. But if a Sonos product breaks, I'm sure they are willing to sell you an upgraded one. The CI market loves Sonos because there is less to adjust and they don't have to worry about customers fiddling with stuff. Just set it all up and make it look pretty and you have a happy customer.

If you are on ASR with an inclination to learn, you will learn more, spend less, and get better results by doing some work. But for us the learning is part of the value. For those who want to just listen, well, there are also HTIB products that sell very well.

AlexTSG

The OP wanted to get separate components due to valid longevity concerns which is nice as our world is full of eWaste.

While the Sonos Amp was perfect for my needs as it was replacing a 10+ year old Marantz stereo amplifier, but adding the smart features I wanted (and triple the power output), there is a less integrated option available called the Sonos Port. I did consider it, but the Sonos Amp was a cheaper solution than the Port and a separate amplifier, so I haven't used or tested it myself and can't say whether I would like it as much.

The Port offers connectivity to the Sonos eco system, while still allowing you to choose your own amplifier and passive speakers, eliminating at least some of the eWaste problem as you have far more components that can be replaced or repaired independently of each other.

At this point it probably sounds like I work for Sonos, which I don't, but I did do a fair amount of research prior to deciding on the Amp, and Sonos and Bluesound were the only solutions I found that checked all the boxes for me.

While it's unlikely that I'll be heading off to the hardware store to pick up MDF and a saw to build my own speakers anytime soon, I do enjoy following the projects and discussions on these forums, and the testing that often debunks the marketing BS (some of which I've fallen for before), that accompanies many of the more expensive "audiophile" products!

Top Bottom