• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs that depict real events...Now also, playlist on Spotify

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
...so pretty much every song is about a 'real event'
Well, I was gonna throw in astrophysist and aspiring guitar player ;) Dr. Brian May's song '39, a dandy little ditty about relativity, as being about real events that haven't had the opportunity to happen yet -- but I figured that was out of bounds. :cool:

so -- yeah, pretty much.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Never understood the popularity of Beatles...

To me, there are two rather different Beatles. The produced - polished and marketed - mainstream pop-song ’boys band‘ The Beatles, similar to Spice Girls and BTS… And then the insanely [musically] talented, complicated, conflicted late Beatles… Whose popularity don’t you understand? :)

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well neither of those versions...I can't deny their impact, that seems to be a matter of fact, but they are just so naff. 'She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah'? 'Strawberry Fields forever'? 'I wanna hold your hand'? Billy Fury did all that

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well, I was gonna throw in astrophysist and aspiring guitar player ;) Dr. Brian May's song '39, a dandy little ditty about relativity, as being about real events that haven't had the opportunity to happen yet -- but I figured that was out of bounds. :cool:

so -- yeah, pretty much.
Fabulous. Made my day.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well neither of those versions...I can't deny their impact, that seems to be a matter of fact, but they are just so naff. 'She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah'? 'Strawberry Fields forever'? 'I wanna hold your hand'? Billy Fury did all that
Yeah, you were supposed to take the red pill.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Eagles "Doolin-Dalton"

I'll see you that Eagles tune, and raise you James Dean.

James_Dean_in_Rebel_Without_a_Cause.jpg

4a99984391474cf18694bab10a87da7f_md.jpg

... a very true story :(

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Now might be a good time to point out that, if one were to construct a Venn diagram, there would be no overlap between William Shatner and real.

;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Playlist, Spotify, based on suggestions for songs first page in this thread. Post the rest later.:)

Damn if that Spotify will they ever come with lossless?!?! I really like Spotify for its ease of use. I really do not want to switch to another streaming provider.

litemotiv

OMD - Enola Gay

Song about the Boeing B-29 Superfortress bomber with the same name that dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Laura Fygi covers Don McLean's Vincent:

Cat Stevens - Lady D'Arbanville:

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe:

Janis Ian - At Seventeen:

Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know

Bee Gees - New York Mining Disaster 1941. This was inspired by the Aberfan mining disaster in Wales.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Long before the term came to denote the shopping frenzy on the day after Thanksgiving, Steely Dan released this song about the original "Black Friday," when on Friday, September 24, 1869 a failed ploy left many wealthy investors broke. The investors tried to corner the market on gold, buying as much of it as they could and driving up the price, but when the government found out, it released $4 million worth of gold into the market, driving down the price and clobbering the investors.

As for how it became a retail reference, sometime in the '60s, the term was bandied about to indicate the key day in the holiday shopping season when the stores would be "in the black," meaning making money (black ink indicates profit, red ink indicates loss).

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Long before the term came to denote the shopping frenzy on the day after Thanksgiving, Steely Dan released this song about the original "Black Friday," when on Friday, September 24, 1869 a failed ploy left many wealthy investors broke. The investors tried to corner the market on gold, buying as much of it as they could and driving up the price, but when the government found out, it released $4 million worth of gold into the market, driving down the price and clobbering the investors.

As for how it became a retail reference, sometime in the '60s, the term was bandied about to indicate the key day in the holiday shopping season when the stores would be "in the black," meaning making money (black ink indicates profit, red ink indicates loss).

How much do you wanna bet that this is based on a true story?

Top Bottom