• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs that depict real events...Now also, playlist on Spotify

DanielT

Major Contributor
What tips do you have to give? It can be any type of event.

I myself discovered this live version from the thread about Live Albums. Undoubtedly, it also fits into this thread:

Edit:
I'm creating a list now. Have fixed the first page in this thread, so far.:)

If more then one suggestion are given in one and the same post, I will take one of them:

Last edited:

nerdstrike

Roll Northumbria by the Dreadnoughts. There are quite a few more in the style of sea songs out there, but this one I like the most.

In a similar but completely different vein, Banting's Imparted Years by Acapella Science. More of a tribute, but some of it is narrative.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Rev Hammer's Freeborn John album covering the life of John Lilburne
Battlefield Band - The Beaches of St Valery about the fate of the 51st Highland Division in June 1940, south of the better known Dunkirk events
Three Score and Ten probably counts as 'traditional' given its route from poem to song.
Battle of the Beanfield in the Levellers song of the same name, and Hawkwind's Confrontation
Justin Sullivan / New Model Army - Ocean Rising, in part about the Voyage of the James Caird

Rick63

Alan Jackson - Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)

From from the CMA Awards on November 7th 2001.

Last edited:

pk500

Live version of a ROCKING tune by Drive-by Truckers that tells the little-known story of gun rights advocate and former NRA leader Harlon Carter, who shot and killed a 15-year-old Hispanic boy in 1931, but escaped incarceration.

punosion

Forum Donor

On June 10th, 1999, a gas pipeline operated by the Olympic Pipeline Company exploded in Bellingham, Washington’s Whatcom Falls Park, injuring eight people and killing three children, aged 10 to 18, who were fishing and playing in the area. Frontman Ben Gibbard describes the scene over a rolling drumbeat and textural guitar, gingerly singing, “Gone, gone” in the chorus as he laments their deaths.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not an event per se* but Robert Hunter's/the Dead's Bird Song was his/their eulogy for Janis.

81+iWWjWGWL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Janis (l) and Grace (r)

In a sort of similar vein (no pun intended), Becker & Fagen's Kid Charlemagne was, in their typically abstruse and elliptical way, a twisted "tribute" to the Dead's soundman and acid connection, Owsley "Bear" Stanley. Fagen's even said as much. ;)

owsley-jerry.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom