• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Songs that depict real events...Now also, playlist on Spotify

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m sure there must have been...... The Animals - The Rising Sun

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Here is an event that not only affected Germans in Berlin, but the whole world. The biggest thing that has happened in big politics since, well ... WW2?

Also New Model Army's Luhrstaap (or lurhstaap or lurstaap depending on which album it's on - I gather it's a made up word and they don't seem to have settled on a spelling.) I wanted to link the version from Justin Sullivan & Friends' Tales Of The Road as it was recorded live in Germany and has some discussion with the audience before they start the song, but couldn't find it.
Billy Connolly - John Stonehouse Went Swimming, briefly covering that scandal and a couple of others.
Blyth Power - Probably Going To Rain, about the demise of locomotive 46009 at Old Dalby during a nuclear flask crash test.
Tori Amos - Me and a Gun

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Robin L

Master Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Did we talk abou Pattie "Layla" Boyd and her effect on British rock guitarists yet?
eric-clapton-pattie-boyd-george-harrison-2021.jpg

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Also New Model Army's Luhrstaap (or lurhstaap or lurstaap depending on which album it's on - I gather it's a made up word and they don't seem to have settled on a spelling.) I wanted to link the version from Justin Sullivan & Friends' Tales Of The Road as it was recorded live in Germany and has some discussion with the audience before they start the song, but couldn't find it.
Billy Connolly - John Stonehouse Went Swimming, briefly covering that scandal and a couple of others.
Blyth Power - Probably Going To Rain, about the demise of locomotive 46009 at Old Dalby during a nuclear flask crash test.
Tori Amos - Me and a Gun
Changes in themselves do not automatically have to lead to something better. There are challenges along the way. As for the end of the Cold War (which was then the case), most people agree, however, on positive changes. The negative, possibly negative effects, are greatly overshadowed by the positive ones.

With the best of intentions, in the 50s and 60s, a wave of demolition swept forward in many countries. Old buildings were demolished, society was to be modernized. Away with the outdoor toilet, overcrowding and dirt. New and modern but nostalgic for the old was there when:

In Swedish, a cover of that song, it was titled Lyckliga Gatan. Translation of the text:

The memories come to me so often
Now everyone's gone, I do not understand
Gone is the house where the ivy clung
Gone is the gate where we stood and hung
Happy street you, who every day heard our glam
Once upon a time there were roses here where now a city is fast growing

Happy street you no longer exist
You're gone with the whole block
The play is silent, the song is silent
The concrete floats high above the ground
When I came back everything was so changed
Trampled and devastated, corrupted and desecrated

Edit:
Damn I'm stupid, now I lock myself in more and more with Spotify as I, among other things, fix that playlist based on the suggestions in this thread. I was thinking of switching to another supplier that has lossless.

When I now add songs, Spotify asks me: That song is already included, do you want to add it to the list anyway? Is that type of functionality available from other streaming providers?

It will be a MEGA review, for me in any case, in terms of functionality, pros and cons of Spotify vs another streaming provider. But of course I give Spotify the year out, miracles can happen.:)

Edit:
Better picture quality on this later recording. Yes, the Italians are nostalgic. They all know that song, that lyrics.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Clapton. I'll add that song to the spotify list. Everyone knows what it's about.
Well -- George Harrison also, possibly wrote Something about her.
And Clapton's Wonderful Tonight is also about Pattie.

So, she really was a rock 'n' roll muse, for better or worse.

... and Donovan (Leitch) wrote Jennifer Juniper about Pattie's sister, Jenny Boyd, on whom he had a crush.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh... and then there is the beautiful song Walk Away Renee, written by a lovestruck 16 year old (the late Michael Brown).

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well -- George Harrison also, possibly wrote Something about her.
And Clapton's Wonderful Tonight is also about Pattie.

So, she really was a rock 'n' roll muse, for better or worse.

... and Donovan (Leitch) wrote Jennifer Juniper about Pattie's sister, Jenny Boyd, on whom he had a crush.
I thought more about this and Clapton:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Changes in themselves do not automatically have to lead to something better. There are challenges along the way. As for the end of the Cold War (which was then the case), most people agree, however, on positive changes. The negative, possibly negative effects, are greatly overshadowed by the positive ones.
Indeed - we're looking back at how things have turned out. When the song was written at the end of '89 this was all to come, and the UK was approaching the end of the Thatcher government which had been divisive to say the least. Some communities, particularly in northern England, came out of it very badly and had good reason for a less than rosy outlook. The Battle of Orgreave, mentioned earlier in the thread, might give a taste, but wasn't an isolated incident. In that respect the song is probably as much about the situation in parts of the UK at the time as it is about the fall of the wall.

Ordin Aryguy

This is a song about when Filter's frontman, Richard Patrick, got drunk and started taking his clothes off on an airplane. His subsequent arrest didn't quite make it into the song.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

That musicians smoked with Willie probably no one doubts. Then, to make a true story better, it's probably sweetened with a little artistic freedom, to create humor and drama I can guess.:)

A better live version:

Last edited:
Top Bottom