• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

loprent1

Yeah that fixed my issue a while back.

Any news on the Apple Remote testing @Ben1987 or is it unlikely to ever be supported?
The DAC is incredible. Thank you!

Having 1 remote to control everything would be insane. All other buttons work on Apple TV and volume for the DAC. I'm certain that there would be a bump in sales from it.

Anthony T

Hello. As a SGD1 owner it has come to my attention that there may be a problem with the Soncoz DAC, specifically regarding a transformer in the units shipped to the UK. I would appreciate a comment from the manufacturer on the safety of a otherwise brilliant DAC. Thank you.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it has come to my attention that there may be a problem with the Soncoz DAC, specifically regarding a transformer in the units shipped to the UK
Speaking as a UK user, I think you are coming across as a bit overly sinister with this and, therefore, ought to be more open about what you have heard and what you are, possibly, suggesting.

Given that there is a switch to select either North American or European supply voltage, it would appear that an issue affecting only the latter would be unlikely.

Anthony T

Speaking as a UK user, I think you are coming across as a bit overly sinister with this and, therefore, ought to be more open about what you have heard and what you are, possibly, suggesting.

Given that there is a switch to select either North American or European supply voltage, it would appear that an issue affecting only the latter would be unlikely
A issue was reported with the transformer and that it was possibly down to the units being 220v as opposed to 230v.
The manufacturer has confirmed that there is not a issue with the SGD1 and that is that. I did mention the word transformer in my post but you obviously missed it as you rushed in to create a stir.

As for my post being sinister I simply didn’t want to create a drama, if anyone had a similar issue I’m sure my post would have been obvious enough. I have had my SGD1 for around 2 years now and I’m still very happy with it.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whenever the word…
is used, it's worth knowing and understanding the full facts. I missed nothing.

I too have had one of these units in daily use since they were first imported into the UK. I think we would be aware of any fundamental problems by now.

Rrobot

A issue was reported with the transformer and that it was possibly down to the units being 220v as opposed to 230v.
The manufacturer has confirmed that there is not a issue with the SGD1 and that is that. I did mention the word transformer in my post but you obviously missed it as you rushed in to create a stir.

As for my post being sinister I simply didn’t want to create a drama, if anyone had a similar issue I’m sure my post would have been obvious enough. I have had my SGD1 for around 2 years now and I’m still very happy with it.
Well, this is timely that the transformer is mentioned here. I'm considering the unit for use in a part of Australia where the mains voltage is routinely around 240v with periods where it can significantly exceed 250v. Currently my smart devices (for what that's worth) are measuring 243v and 247v at the wall respectively. Anything specced at 220v usually make me nervous about overheating or noisy transformers, but it all really depends on the designed tolerances of the unit in question.

I do note that there seem to be happy users in Australia so I'm hoping/assuming its a non-issue. I'm out of my depth here and wouldn't pretent to understand how the power circuits are implemented. Sorry if this is already answered earlier but what have Soncoz said is the acceptable voltage range for this device? On the face of it, the unit seems to use YHDC PC15 110v transformers with a specified primary voltage range of +/- 10% which is possibly sailing close to the wind for my local voltage?

Last edited:

nobeone

Using the 220VAC setting with transformers specified to +/-10% means transformers specified at up to 242VAC. In the UK mains is specified at 230VAC +10%/-6% so up to 253VAC. Running a transformer over its rated voltage may lead to core saturation and additional heat. Running the transformer output at above its design voltage may lead to additional heat generated by the voltage regulators. Depending on your UK local mains voltage, how long you use the DAC for, and how much ventilation it has, you may experience reduced life span, or worse. There has been at least one reported case of premature failure with a SGD1 producing smoke. I have choosen to replace the transformers in my Soncoz SGD1 for the fit and form replacement YHDC PTC15 115VAC/230VAC versions following a discussion with Ben, who was very helpful. I am now happy to continue using my SGD1in the UK. You may be in the UK and in a location where the main voltage rare exceeds 240VAC, and you might be in a location where the mains is regularly more like 250VAC. YMMV.

Rrobot

I have choosen to replace the transformers in my Soncoz SGD1 for the fit and form replacement YHDC PTC15 115VAC/230VAC versions following a discussion with Ben, who was very helpful. I am now happy to continue using my SGD1in the UK. You may be in the UK and in a location where the main voltage rare exceeds 240VAC, and you might be in a location where the mains is regularly more like 250VAC. YMMV.
Sincere thanks! You've confirmed exactly what I suspected, and in fact I was wondering whether the PTC15 115VAC transformers could be substituted without influencing the performance of the device. Very reassuring that you've done exactly that. Where I live, the mains is regularly closer to 250VAC.

Anthony T

Using the 220VAC setting with transformers specified to +/-10% means transformers specified at up to 242VAC. In the UK mains is specified at 230VAC +10%/-6% so up to 253VAC. Running a transformer over its rated voltage may lead to core saturation and additional heat. Running the transformer output at above its design voltage may lead to additional heat generated by the voltage regulators. Depending on your UK local mains voltage, how long you use the DAC for, and how much ventilation it has, you may experience reduced life span, or worse. There has been at least one reported case of premature failure with a SGD1 producing smoke. I have choosen to replace the transformers in my Soncoz SGD1 for the fit and form replacement YHDC PTC15 115VAC/230VAC versions following a discussion with Ben, who was very helpful. I am now happy to continue using my SGD1in the UK. You may be in the UK and in a location where the main voltage rare exceeds 240VAC, and you might be in a location where the mains is regularly more like 250VAC. YMMV.
So it is a issue and serious enough to make you change the transformer yourself? Was there a offer to carry out the remedial work from the company?

nobeone

So it is a issue and serious enough to make you change the transformer yourself? Was there a offer to carry out the remedial work from the company?
Yes for me this is serious enough for me to change the transformers so that they are in specification in the UK.

I bought my SGD1 second hand, I made clear to Ben and the UK distributor that they owe me nothing. Ben was kind enough to provide me with the datasheet for the transformers and identify the part that is in specification for the UK so he assisted in that way and I am grateful to him.

Zeeb

A note about the SGD1 getting hot... Has anyone else experienced this?

My unit has been reliable. It stays quite cool to the touch, but once and only once I was surprised to feel the top very warm on a hot day (this didn't affect operation). I thought it might have gone over some heat threshold, but now that I hear about this 240+V issue (I am in Australia, NSW) - I wonder if it could have been that.

Rrobot

Yes for me this is serious enough for me to change the transformers so that they are in specification in the UK.

I bought my SGD1 second hand, I made clear to Ben and the UK distributor that they owe me nothing. Ben was kind enough to provide me with the datasheet for the transformers and identify the part that is in specification for the UK so he assisted in that way and I am grateful to him.
Pretty impressive support really... Most companies wouldn't entertain anything like that. Their device supports the majority of voltages it is likely to encounter and is clearly labelled 220v so Soncoz have been entirely above board here.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Pretty impressive support really... Most companies wouldn't entertain anything like that. Their device supports the majority of voltages its likely to encounter and is clearly labelled 220v so Soncoz have been entirely above board here.
Ben/the designer definitely "cares".. :)

exarva1

Hello everyone!!

I recently just purchased soncoz SGD1 DAC. It went great, i love the sound and all the feauture.

I use my laptop as player connected thru usb b, and send the coax out to Benchmark DAC1 (i use DAC1 as volume control for my amp, since i use the analog out for my headphone amps), then to my amp.

This morning when i listen to it like usual, suddenly i hear a relay sound and the SGD1 turned off. I touch it and it was pretty hot (dont know its the SGD1 itself or from the DAC1 i put above it).

So i let it cool down and try to turn it on again. It wont turn on, even after leaving it completly cooled for around 8 hours.

Any suggestion to what should i do?
Thankss before

Anthony T

Fuse?
I have a 220v unit and I’m from the UK. I had a friend drop by who measured my supply @ 243v last week which means it can run hot or worse depending upon your geographical location in the UK.
If it had 230v transformers it simply wouldn’t be a problem would it?
Pretty impressive support really... Most companies wouldn't entertain anything like that. Their device supports the majority of voltages it is likely to encounter and is clearly labelled 220v so Soncoz have been entirely above board here.
They have a responsibility to supply goods that are safe in the country they export them to, to hint otherwise is dangerous and seriously misguided.
Would you be happy if a close family member purchased a refrigerator which overheated and could be a serious risk to health and property was told they should have checked if it was safe to use in the country you purchased it from?
A bit like buying a New electric car, you’d expect it to come fit to plug in to the existing infrastructure.
”Pretty impressive support”:facepalm:

exarva1

Fuse?
I have a 220v unit and I’m from the UK. I had a friend drop by who measured my supply @ 243v last week which means it can run hot or worse depending upon your geographical location in the UK.
If it had 230v transformers it simply wouldn’t be a problem would it?

They have a responsibility to supply goods that are safe in the country they export them to, to hint otherwise is dangerous and seriously misguided.
Would you be happy if a close family member purchased a refrigerator which overheated and could be a serious risk to health and property was told they should have checked if it was safe to use in the country you purchased it from?
A bit like buying a New electric car, you’d expect it to come fit to plug in to the existing infrastructure.
”Pretty impressive support”:facepalm:
I already check the fuse, they are fine. When i tried to turn them on, it makes some "electrical charging noise" then followed by static electrical whistling sound. Never hear that sound before.

I live in indonesia, a tropical country, so it gets pretty hot here sometimes. For the power supply i use a AVR set to 230V and a power filter unit (some said a power factor corretion unit), the went fine for about 2 months untill yesterday

Anthony T

I already check the fuse, they are fine. When i tried to turn them on, it makes some "electrical charging noise" then followed by staticelectrical whistling sound. Never hear that sound before.

I live in indonesia, a tropical country, so it gets pretty hot here sometimes. For the power supply i use a AVR set to 230V and a power filter unit (some said a power factor corretion unit), the went fine for about 2 months untill yesterday
Return it to wherever you purchased it from, it’s still within warranty so you should be entitled to a refund or replacement with a new unit. If it’s secondhand then you’ll likely be on your own I’m afraid.

exarva1

Return it to wherever you purchased it from, it’s still within warranty so you should be entitled to a refund or replacement with a new unit. If it’s secondhand then you’ll likely be on your own I’m afraid.
I already contaced soncoz via email and they told me to contact the store to claim warranty. Right now im talking with the store. But returning it to china (i bought it via ali express, since there are no soncoz dealers in indonesia) for service and waiting them to send back here could take weeks, which i personally dont prefer.

I wonder if @Ben1987 and everybody here could give some insight so just maybe i could repair and search the parts by my self.

But yeah, claiming the warranty sounds the best way for me.

Anthony T

Personally I would return the unit for repair or replacement to the place of purchase and pick up a cheap secondhand DAC for a few weeks until the Soncoz is returned, buy wisely and sell it on for little to no loss.
It is a pain when something goes wrong like this but patience normally pays off in the long run……

Top Bottom