• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soaring

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Pawnee tow plane is going back together now.

A new cylinder and piston and studs to hold it all together.

They'll probably finish it in a couple of weeks. Ken is 83 (I think) and he's the lead on the repair.

---

The weather this summer hasn't been very good. Few people show up to fly, it's real hot, etc.

There were 3 today, out of over 100. One couldn't fly because no Instructor available, the other couldn't take him as a passenger/copilot because he is a little stale on recent flight time to be legal.

I flew today, but only got an hour and 48 minutes.

First one up, last one down.

There were some showers around, but nothing near nor violent. Good thermals around, lots of sunshine between the clouds.

But near the end, the lift just seemed to quit. The air was very smooth, no bumps where there usually are.

So, turned back toward the airport. There was a big dark gray bottomed cloud over the field that looked really promising, but I couldn't find anything to keep me up underneath it. Flew on past it toward the west, and started a big curve to to the south to set up to land since I was low, and that cloud had opened it's valves and dumped rain behind me on the airport.

Curving back toward the airport, surprised to see the rain, skirted the edge, couldn't see the south end of the runway (my target area) at all.

Hmmm... not so good.

Press on, use some landmarks to get where I needed to be for the turn to final, entered the rain (no choice but to) and could see (barely) the very south end of the runway, and I knew I had that made.

Rain on the plane decreases its efficiency, so didn't have to use the flaps to increase the descent rate at all.

Ended up a little lower than I would like, and just skimmed down the runway in "ground effect" a couple of thousamd feet till I ran out of energy. Navigated by staying centered between the edges of the runway (that I could see to the sides). Couldn't really see anything forward.

Rolled a few feet off the runway and just sat there for 10 or fifteen minutes till the Liquid Sunshine subsided.

The heavier rain was behind me by this time.

No wipers, so I leave it to you to imagine the visual smear coming through the rain at 60mph committed to a landing.

1689379703729.png

So, a bit of a lesson learned today. Maybe. At least I didn't compound mistakes.

The north end of the runway was clear of rain, but the wind would be at my back.

Landing in the other direction would probably have been more prudent, had I thought of it earlier, though the wind would have been at my back.

---

Put some Rain-X for Plastic that I bought recently on the canopy after things dried out some. Haven't used it before, not having any plastic windows upon which to use it.

I use the Rain-X for glass on the car, wouldn't want to be without it.

Now I'll probably never get caught in the rain again.

---

I'll likely go out again tomorrow. The forecast looks flyable.

The usual summer "might rain" forecast, of course.

1689385611673.png

Last Wednesday we were all set up and ready to fly, and a storm blew past between 11am and noon.

That wets the ground, and kills thermals after the sun comes out again, so everybody went home.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Curving back toward the airport, surprised to see the rain, skirted the edge, couldn't see the south end of the runway (my target area) at all.
Navigated by staying centered between the edges of the runway (that I could see to the sides). Couldn't really see anything forward.
Interesting to read how rain affects gliders. With an engine in front, the rain is less of an issue; propwash and higher airspeeds clear it off the windshield.
I flew internationally today, enjoying a weekend in Victoria.
1689390457510.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Something you might try on the glider is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic car wax. It is a blue liquid. You wash your car (or glider). When done wet it down all over, then mist very lightly this solution all over. It is good for paint, plastic, chrome and glass. Then rinse it again with higher pressure spread the solution out over the surface, and then dry. It really does a good job as a wax and lasts pretty well and unlike similar claims for years passed it really works.

I've used in on a couple vehicles. It lasts longer and sheds water better than Rain-x on glass windows. It also helps shed well enough over plastic bumpers and paint that they don't get dirty as easily. My guess would be if you used it on the whole glider it might slightly reduce aero drag during rain. Otherwise just using this over the plastic canopy it is better than Rain-X.

Now it really can be misted very lightly. I actually dilute it ten to one and still use a thin mist of it in a hand sprayer.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Something you might try on the glider is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic car wax. ... Otherwise just using this over the plastic canopy it is better than Rain-X. ...
When I rode motorbikes I applied rain-x to the helmet visor. It worked OK, better than wiping it with my gloved hand.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic car wax

I've been using that on the car and plane.

There was a product - "Liquid Glass". I see it is available again.

It put an amazingly slippery coat on the car.

A towel would just slide right off when freshly applied.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Nicely summarized here

Couldn’t have done it any better.

Summary: Depending on glider (wing profile), performance decreases and stall speed increases. Can get interesting.

(Wax or anything doesn’t make a difference - it’s the pure volume of water which flows across the wings and „thickens“ the profile while disturbing air flow. One waxes the glider regularly anyhow, but the wax/polish needs to be silicone free, otherwise you will have a terrible time if the glider ever needs to get repainted/patched up).

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Been a while since I posted here.

It's not for lack of flying.

The weather has not been real good recently (November), so it has been difficult to get long flights in.

I bought a little GoPro, and caught this last weekend. Still learning how to use it and combine files, so a couple of glitches.

This flight had many long glides, only about 25% of the time circling, much of the rest just cruising in rising air. Only one extended thermal, to get from too low back to cloudbase.

The clouds were low, about 3000 feet, so not high enough to comfortably fly very far from the airport. The max altitude was only around 2700 feet for the flight.

I like a day with some "excitement" in the clouds, and this flight definitely qualified for that.

601.7 total (including training flights) hours in just under three years, now. 317 flights, so an average of an hour and 53 minutes, including all the training "pattern tows" - take off, go to 1000 feet, and land. You gotta know how to land, no second chances in a glider.

The "flight computer" is an Oudie N IGC. Same software (SeeYou Navigator) runs on an android phone. The Oudie is an android box, locked down so you can't mess it upt, I suppose. Ot has a sim slot, I let it talk to the net through my phone, wifi or bluetooth. Better than a phone as it has a really big battery and a very bright screen. This model is calibrated for use in contests or to apply for world records, neither of which are likely to occur for me).

Measurements, of course!

1701965995098.png

Naviter is a small company in Slovenia.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Coming from small planes that glide about as well as a paper airplane, it's interesting to see such a different perspective on flying. The annotation said "landed a little short" but it looked like you were actually high & long and used a slip to make the runway. Then I realized what you meant was short of the glider parking area in the grass. 600 hours in 3 years is a lot of flying. 3 years!? Time flies :D

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Coming from small planes that glide about as well as a paper airplane, it's interesting to see such a different perspective on flying. The annotation said "landed a little short" but it looked like you were actually high & long and used a slip to make the runway. Then I realized what you meant was short of the glider parking area in the grass. 600 hours in 3 years is a lot of flying. 3 years!? Time flies :D

Gliders are all about energy management. You get a tow, or winch launch, or bungee off a hill, or even gravity takeoff rolling down a hill, then fly. No hills or winches here. Flatlands.

Landing a little short - it is nose heavy with me in it at rest, and I prefer to get into the grass before the nose skid touches (and wears) on the runway. Once you hit the grass you stop quickly. Most gliders are a little tail heavy on the ground, and not expected to rub their nose in the dirt.

Here's the end of another little video from last week - couldn't find any substantial lift to stay up, but didn't "land short", kept speed while on the runway, didn't drag the skid, a good rollout, hand on the brakes, but never applied (the grass stops you quickly). I park behind and between the two gliders I stopped in front of.

Left hand is on the flap handle, my glider doesn't have spoilers/speed brakes. I dump the flaps on touchdown to plant the glider on the ground, and it also helps keep the nose off the runway. You can hear it floating before the flaps are closed. You might notice the stick pulled all the way back while rolling, too, trying to keep the nose up.

The parking spots have a little concrete pad with a dimple. If you can roll the glider to stop with the wheel in the dimple, I guess you got a "hole in one", to use a golf term.

I saw my instructor get within about two feet once.

On landing in the previous video, it's more crab than slip, the wingtip is only about 3 feet off the ground when level, so you don't want to input much bank.

Lots of flying, yes, I won the "award" (nothing) for having the most flights (and paid tows) at the Club last year.

One guy said "yeah, he's the only one that ever got his money's worth out of a glider".

It's a Schweizer SGS 1-35C - club model, no ballast, fixed landing wheel, #97 of 101, manufactured 1980 in the good old USA, all aluminum (except fabric covered rudder and elevator). All new gliders are various sorts of fiberglass/aramid/carbon fiber.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's been a while since I posted...

I've been flying, but the winter weather hasn't been particularly good. More short than long flights. Yesterday logged 3.5 hours.

It was the nicest day in a while, even though it was a "blue day", no clouds to give hints where the thermal lift is happening

Barograph: time and altitude:

1707152992418.png

This is the landing from yesterday.

Big handle on the left is flaps, little handle is the wheel brake.

I put in landing flaps on the right turn to base, but backed them out a bit to keep the distance up.

Bounced on touchdown due to being a little fast, but the rollout to parking was good. Was able to push the glider manually to the parking spot, between and behind the two glders on the left.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yesterday the weather was "overcast" most of the day, yet forecast to be really good.

It finally blew past about 2pm, and those of us who were there (Thursdays are not a normal Club day) and waited were rewarded with a nice late afternoon.

The sun made strong thermals and quickly. Here is the tow, and first thermal. Release at 2000 feet, and circle right aon up to 4800 feet rising nearly as quickly as the Cessna pulled me up.

The first blue is the tow, with a nearly as steep left turn thermal afterwards.

1708125972250.png

The average glide ratio was computed as 50:1, which means there was a lot of rising air to fly through, since my glider's spec is 36:1.

Made a little bank indicator to see if I was really banking at 45 degrees. 45 is theoretically the "better" bank angle for a tight turn to sray near the core of a narrow thermal

The "turn radius" indicator (not visible) reads ariund 300 feet.

1708124763186.png

I think I was often over-banking before when turning steeply.

The tool could use a little more precision in the bend, and some black paint, and make it a little smaller, , but I'm satisfied with the idea for now. I'll probably end up with a little pin-stripe on the canopy if i can figure out hw to angle it..

The air was fairly smooth at landing time, so I practiced a descent with full flaps. Flaps are reduced on the roundout to help plant it on the runway.

Maximum descent reported a little over 1,000 feet per minute.

The forecast for the weekend is rain. No flying...

1708126537291.png

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last day of the 2024 Seniors Contest at Seminole Lake Gliderport.

Looks like they had a turnpoint up by Ocala. You get more points if you go past the turnpoint.

This is an image from FlightRadar24 filtered for gliders.

Here's one glider track so far. The North/South track distance is about 70 miles.

You can't tell who is "winning the race" until they all finish, and apply the scoring rules and handicaps.

1710531782508.png

Just seems amazing to me, as my "distance from the home airport" has maxed at 15.4 miles.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seniors Contest
Is there a difference from a expert senior to say a expert teen pilot? Is this age related? Does experience from age trump reaction times and the feeling the stick ability of a young person with glider pilots?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is winning criteria speed, distance, time of flight?

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yesterday the weather was "overcast" most of the day, yet forecast to be really good.

It finally blew past about 2pm, and those of us who were there (Thursdays are not a normal Club day) and waited were rewarded with a nice late afternoon.

The sun made strong thermals and quickly. Here is the tow, and first thermal. Release at 2000 feet, and circle right aon up to 4800 feet rising nearly as quickly as the Cessna pulled me up.

The first blue is the tow, with a nearly as steep left turn thermal afterwards.

View attachment 350078
The average glide ratio was computed as 50:1, which means there was a lot of rising air to fly through, since my glider's spec is 36:1.

Made a little bank indicator to see if I was really banking at 45 degrees. 45 is theoretically the "better" bank angle for a tight turn to sray near the core of a narrow thermal

The "turn radius" indicator (not visible) reads ariund 300 feet.

View attachment 350074

I think I was often over-banking before when turning steeply.

The tool could use a little more precision in the bend, and some black paint, and make it a little smaller, , but I'm satisfied with the idea for now. I'll probably end up with a little pin-stripe on the canopy if i can figure out hw to angle it..

The air was fairly smooth at landing time, so I practiced a descent with full flaps. Flaps are reduced on the roundout to help plant it on the runway.

Maximum descent reported a little over 1,000 feet per minute.

The forecast for the weekend is rain. No flying...

View attachment 350079
The recorded approach is completely slipping - look at that red thing in front of You, the most important intrument in soaring (beside Your A.., as mentioned before).
Seems like You have to give some release to your right foot or hand to the left (or both) to really go straight away.

Attachments

• Schieflage.jpg
    Schieflage.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is that good?

15 miles - It's remaining within gliding distance of the airport. Gliding distance being a calculated ability to reach the airport at a safe altitude without catching any lift along the way, with some fudge factor in case you get into some strong sink. I set my "safety altitude" at 2000 feet, having had one occasion where I just barely got back safely.

If going distance you try to hop from "within range" of one little airport to the next.

If you "land out", it's a pain in the butt. You either call the club and have the tow plane come and get you from a suitable airfield, or if you land in a field someplace you need some helpers to bring your trailer, take the glider apart, and drag it home. Or you crash someplace.

Many of the contest gliders have motors (that they don't use else they're either out or penalized) that makes the pilot a bit more brave.

15 miles is pretty far. If you are up high, say, 5000 feet, the airport looks pretty close. It looks farther and farther away the lower you are at that distance.

3000 feet drop (to safety altitude) over 15 miles gives you a sink rate of 200 feet per mile, a glide ratio of 26.4, which is not too hard to acheive (in my old glider).

4000 feet drop would still put you at the airport at pattern altitude, and would be a 19.8:1 glide ratio.

Usually I'll find some lift on the way back, toward the airport, and be able to continue the flight.

Is there a difference from a expert senior to say a expert teen pilot? Is this age related? Does experience from age trump reaction times and the feeling the stick ability of a young person with glider pilots?

There's an 18 year old at the club, whose father is an A320 Captain, who is on the fast track and in the contest. I'll post his flight later against one of the probablyr high-finishers.

If you are young, you may have less experience but still be brave and indestructible. Old you may have the latest machine along with many years of expreience. I'm old and have a little experience.

The 18 year old is flying a DG400 owned by the Lakeland Aero Club, that caters to youngsters. He's wearing the red shirt in the scond video on that page. That DG400 had an engine that is probably removed because it doesn't work anymore, possible rebuild in progress. The doors for the engine to pop out were all taped over.It was manufactured in 1987, registration N400YE.

What is winning criteria speed, distance, time of flight?

All the gliders carry some sort of GPS flight recorder, and surely they all have some display with the targets.

There will be a starting line, or a circle, that you fly across or into to start your race. There may be starting alstitude limits. Then there will be three or four "turnpoints", with a circle of varying radius around them. You touch the circle you made that turn, but going deeper gives you more points.around them. Miss the circle alltogether and you're out. Then there is some circle or line for the finish, and probably a minimum finish altitude.

Of course the rules go much deeper than that - https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu321wqk83vfo7u/SSA Competition Rules 2023.pdf?dl=1

You don't win anything that I know of but maybe a trophy and bragging rights, as far as I know.

Folks show up in their motor homes, pay the entry fee, and spend a week or ten days immersed in the whole theng.

I'm not that sociable.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The recorded approach is completely slipping - look at that red thing in front of You, the most important intrument in soaring (beside Your A.., as mentioned before).
Seems like You have to give some release to your right foot or hand to the left (or both) to really go straight away.

There's a light crosswind from the right,

I want to align the fuselage parallel with the runway.

So the "yaw string" will be blown off to the left a bit.

---

To align the string would require a crab to the right, more right rudder.

But I'd still need to straighten up before touchdown, and the string would be pushed left.

---

A slip into the wind, right wing down a little, to slide to the right, with some left rudder to counteract the roll to the right and maintain the runway heading, with the fuselage parallel to the runway, might be the optimal approach, and the string would be pushed to the left by the crosswind.

---

And landing a little left of the centerline, in case the wind weathervanes the tail to the left after touchdown.

---

I view the string as an indicator of efficiency during flight, and to avoid skidding turns in the pattern, and pretty much ignore it on final.

Top Bottom