• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At AXPONA today I was attempting to listen to a pair of KEF Ref 5 Metas, but was repeatedly interrupted by the charlatan running the room as he was just using the speakers as paraphernalia to sell his snake oil. He kept playing the same 30 second clip over and over again after swapping in progressively more expensive power cable into the DAC and telling everyone it sounded better.

When reaching the penultimate power cord, he switched to an entirely different song and still insisted that it sounded better despite the complete loss of any frame of reference. For the most expensive power cord I'm pretty sure he actually turned up the volume on his laptop when restarting the song from the begining, but I was too busy trying to gauge everyone else's reactions to be sure.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, don’t leave us is suspense? You can’t just tell half a story :facepalm:;)

Nothing too interesting.

A couple people were buying it (or hopefully just pretending to for the sake of politeness) but one guy who kept asking questions about the construction of each cable probably really did. Two people whispered to each other and walked out. About half didn't have much of a reaction either way.

I couldn't stay there very long while keeping a poker face so I had to leave.

sq225917

Major Contributor
@Ben, the thing with most of the fuses sold on the UK market is that the brands make no provable claims for them in the marketing. For example, all electrical devices work on the quantum level, anything involving electrons is essentially 'quantum'. And the claims extend no further that parroting customer feedback of improved sound, which are already proven by the customer providing their opinion. They aren't making any claims that are verifiable through other means.

If you find one that is making such claims hit the ASA up, they have budget to go after them.

I've twice submitted reports, one for russ Andrews and his sawyers discs, a well known case, which was upheld and forced him to change the ads and another for a speaker company from Brighton which was similarly ordered to change their ads.

It's worth doing.

sq225917

Major Contributor
On the contrary they are ideal in that application, up to a certain amplitude at least!

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Why not just use castor wheels? I know they’re all rage with professional audio types, like roadies ;)

sq225917

Major Contributor
The cups have lower stiction and built in self centering. They're not a bad idea for a none suspended tt platform.

Enchy

Pretty standard cable nonsense, but I was astonished that it was to power Audioengine A2+ monitors. $5k+ in cables and power nonsense for entry-level basic monitors.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
^ That has to be a piss take, I have the audioengine a2 connected to an Alexa dot for kitchen duties and whilst they are a decent enough wee speaker for the money that I’ve happily used for the previous 10years+, the review above is surely a troll.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Only 7.490 euros for a mains cable. A real bargain

That’s a common sentiment among buyers of this power cable. What they don’t realise is how much better things could be. Until they tie a bag of crystals to the cable.

Tremolo

That’s a common sentiment among buyers of this power cable. What they don’t realise is how much better things could be. Until they tie a bag of crystals to the cable.
Yes, but with the cable they get a bottle of oak cask matured old reserve snake oil (I guess is what the guy in the video is sipping) :eek:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Dang laws of physics got rewritten again?!?
Why wasn't I informed of this?
I am sure I registered to receive the Laws of Physics Re-write Notification email digest...

1651959916593.png

cochlea

Forum Donor
Dang laws of physics got rewritten again?!?
Why wasn't I informed of this?
I am sure I registered to receive the Laws of Physics Re-write Notification email digest...

View attachment 205281
It wouldn’t break the law of physics, but if they really wanted to get a lower frequency response, they could add a black hole containment unit to reach those 10 to 18Hz lows.

Top Bottom