• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

D

Deleted member 46664

Snake-oil.png

poxymoron

About to pull the trigger on this. Dissappointed that the SR Purple is the best 13A fuse they have, might look to upgrade this later.
Not sure whether to opt for the 24 or 96 hour burn-in. No extra cost but I'll have to wait a few days longer for delivery. Any thoughts?
1653046639349.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
About to pull the trigger on this. Dissappointed that the SR Purple is the best 13A fuse they have, might look to upgrade this later.
Not sure whether to opt for the 24 or 96 hour burn-in. No extra cost but I'll have to wait a few days longer for delivery. Any thoughts?
View attachment 207688
Real audiophiles bypass their fuses with silver wire.

Of course, you don't have to do that if you don't really care about music.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Silver wire is for plebs. Use a rhodium ingot if your hearing is sophisticated enough to appreciate it.
This is true. When I made that switch, the veil lifting was so extreme that I could hear that the second trombonist had a prostate issue.

i_build_stuff

It's amazing how unimportant some people's reputations suddenly become, when someone pushes a few bucks their way...

sjeesjie

This is true. When I made that switch, the veil lifting was so extreme that I could hear that the second trombonist had a prostate issue.
But the big question is, did your wife hear it without you telling her that you changed anything?

captainbeefheart

I got thrown out of an audiophool forum for saying power cables are BS and that I don't trust a single person that makes the over used statement of "even my wife heard the difference from the kitchen". I then said that the comment is unintentionally sexist, it implies that women have don't hold the ability to discern changes in sound quality and worse that they are always in the kitchen and not sitting on the couch listening.

I asked moderators through a private message why I was banned from posting on the site, I was told my post was abusive towards others. If you think about it that's what the comment is saying, "even my wife heard a difference", that implies they are inferior listeners yet I was told I'm abusive for pointing this out.

There is a reason woman are not spending thousands on power cables, their hearing is perfectly fine and they know it's a waste of money because the system still sounds the same, they only tell their husbands "wow that does sound better" just to shut them up and tell them what they want to hear. I'd rather my wife purchase $300 designer sunglasses vs me buying a power cable because at least the sun glasses look posh and have a function. My freebie cables work just fine and nobody sees them or cares.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Real audiophiles bypass their fuses with silver wire.

Of course, you don't have to do that if you don't really care about music.
oooh, you could start some real trouble goin' if you posted that on the right forums. Or is it the wrong forums? :cool:

...I was told my post was abusive towards others. If you think about it that's what the comment is saying, "even my wife heard a difference", that implies they are inferior listeners yet I was told I'm abusive for pointing this out...

Maybe the forum's members are all bachelors. Not that I could even speculate as to why that might be the case... :rolleyes:

;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I got thrown out of an audiophool forum for saying power cables are BS and that I don't trust a single person that makes the over used statement of "even my wife heard the difference from the kitchen". I then said that the comment is unintentionally sexist, it implies that women have don't hold the ability to discern changes in sound quality and worse that they are always in the kitchen and not sitting on the couch listening.

I asked moderators through a private message why I was banned from posting on the site, I was told my post was abusive towards others. If you think about it that's what the comment is saying, "even my wife heard a difference", that implies they are inferior listeners yet I was told I'm abusive for pointing this out.

There is a reason woman are not spending thousands on power cables, their hearing is perfectly fine and they know it's a waste of money because the system still sounds the same, they only tell their husbands "wow that does sound better" just to shut them up and tell them what they want to hear. I'd rather my wife purchase $300 designer sunglasses vs me buying a power cable because at least the sun glasses look posh and have a function. My freebie cables work just fine and nobody sees them or cares.
Cables do make a difference! I recycled my old PC cable for the AVR and now the AVR gives me 10 fps more playing Doom Eternal! :D :D

captainbeefheart

Cables do make a difference! I recycled my old PC cable for the AVR and now the AVR gives me 10 fps more playing Doom Eternal! :D :D

Did you rule out all other possibilities to be absolutely certain it's the cable making the difference? I often find temperature makes a big difference in frame rates so even just powering down to swap cables could have cooled it down enough to gain the extra 10fps.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Did you rule out all other possibilities to be absolutely certain it's the cable making the difference? I often find temperature makes a big difference in frame rates so even just powering down to swap cables could have cooled it down enough to gain the extra 10fps.
It was sarc.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I enjoy the sonic thought of the miles of underground cables to my house smeared in literal piss.

Top Bottom