• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

sq225917

Major Contributor
Anyone who writes heretofore in a sentence needs a slap. Verily, the Shakespeare is strong in that ad copy

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang laws of physics got rewritten again?!?
Why wasn't I informed of this?
I am sure I registered to receive the Laws of Physics Re-write Notification email digest...

View attachment 205281
Anyone who writes heretofore in a sentence needs a slap. Verily, the Shakespeare is strong in that ad copy
Personally, I like that their friends were subjugated by the accuracy of the speakers.

sq225917

Major Contributor
They aren't making any specific claims, be interesting to see what thd -3db point is

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They aren't making any specific claims, be interesting to see what thd -3db point is
Oh, I dunno... "-3 dB point" smacks of that old book physics, heretofore fashionable, but now so thoroughly subjugated by (or is it to?) the new book that this modest cohort has (re)written.

captainbeefheart

Pfffft this is easy..............I got y'all beat.

Only $350 for a low value wirewound resistor potted into a slug. Not a bad deal for a minuscule amount of inductance.

Here is the technobabble:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Pfffft this is easy..............I got y'all beat.

Only $350 for a low value wirewound resistor potted into a slug. Not a bad deal for a minuscule amount of inductance.

Here is the technobabble:

I actually measured some of those a few year back (someone else bought them) and posted at diyAudio. A lot of the commentary got removed, but it was disheartening to say the least how the rationalization reflexes kicked in from otherwise intelligent people. The episode wiped out any respect I had for John Curl or any glimmers of hope that he had any intellectual integrity. It was very, very sad.

captainbeefheart

I actually measured some of those a few year back (someone else bought them) and posted at diyAudio. A lot of the commentary got removed, but it was disheartening to say the least how the rationalization reflexes kicked in from otherwise intelligent people. The episode wiped out any respect I had for John Curl or any glimmers of hope that he had any intellectual integrity. It was very, very sad.

I heard about them because John being a big advocate. I was intrigued at first of course but the more anyone tried to defend the technology or even try and coherently explain the function of it I got the feeling this was just a ruse. Spin of electrons creating a slipstream? Really?

What was your findings? Me and a buddy deduced the one we tested had some resistive and inductive nature to them. My guess was a precision ~10mOhm wirewound resistor possibly with copper wound around the body as it did increase impedance as frequency increased, I forget what the numbers where exactly. I wish he would let me rip it open but it needed to retain it's secondary market value.

In their defense I couldn't measure directional spin of the electrons.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What was your findings?
30 milliohm resistor. I did comparative measurements to a known 30 milliohm resistor and they were identical.

Curl had a business arrangement with Bybee and kept denying it. Even after Bybee announced their John Curl Signature Power Something-Or-Other. Any time Curl thought people weren't paying enough attention to him, he'd start hyping the products, causing his desired furor. It was pitiful and painful to watch.

Did you know that Jack Bybee taught Richard Feynman about superconductivity? That was among Curl's claims.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm actually sort of thankful for the Bybee products. Their farcically blatant BS "physics" opened my eyes to the extent of supernatural nonsense being spread in the home audio hobby, and it, along with countless other ridiculous products from "innovators", helped me to embrace a healthy amount of scepticism.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes of course, it was all told in a leaked dossier on the Manhattan Project. :facepalm:
Don't laugh, Curl also claimed that Bybee developed his technology as part of a top secret military program for submarines.

mansr

Major Contributor
Don't laugh, Curl also claimed that Bybee developed his technology as part of a top secret military program for submarines.
And that's why I'm sceptical when cable people claim their contraptions are used by NASA or similar.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Did you know that Jack Bybee taught Richard Feynman about superconductivity? That was among Curl's claims.

Imagine the things Feynman could have learned if Shunyata or Entreq had been around to teach him…

sjeesjie

66AB79F8-3A41-402F-818E-2047B69B357D.jpeg
Snake oil or ripoff?

Top Bottom