• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV D2 Information

fabien32

Because they knew not a lot about it, it's expensive.
I am sorry but you don't make any sense. Like with every new device! we know nothing until we do. it makes sense that someone would like to learn about a new premium dac with 4499 chip, Especially from SMSL.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry but you don't make any sense. Like with every new device! we know nothing until we do. it makes sense that someone would like to learn about a new premium dac with 4499 chip, Especially from SMSL.
I'll tell you what makes no sense...

You posting twice in this thread, neither of which responds to the OP nor brings any info to the table. Given the OP's very detailed subsequent questions I suggest we page @SMSL-Mandy to see if she or anyone else there can answer them please :

1.The last AKM DAC I owned rolled the bass off - does the D2 follow this path?
2.What chipsets/boards are used on the various inputs ? (He is looking to avoid drop outs)
3.What op amps or others are in the output path?
4.How much latency does this DAC have.?
5.What does the tone shaping do and how is it achieved - how can it be defeated?

fabien32

I'll tell you what makes no sense...

You posting twice in this thread, neither of which responds to the OP nor brings any info to the table. Given the OP's very detailed subsequent questions I suggest we page @SMSL-Mandy to see if she or anyone else there can answer them please :

1.The last AKM DAC I owned rolled the bass off - does the D2 follow this path?
2.What chipsets/boards are used on the various inputs ? (He is looking to avoid drop outs)
3.What op amps or others are in the output path?
4.How much latency does this DAC have.?
5.What does the tone shaping do and how is it achieved - how can it be defeated?
I don't have to answer the post to reinforce it, especially when idiot like you have stupid comment. if you didn't get the message, i was asking you nicely to stop responding to every post to say nothing. am i clearer now? STFU!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have to answer the post to reinforce it, especially when idiot like you have stupid comment. if you didn't get the message, i was asking you nicely to stop responding to every post to say nothing. am i clearer now? STFU!
And yet, I have actually done something useful and tagged an SMSL rep with the actual questions asked. What have you done today to make you feel proud?

Im still confused why the OP decided to ask very specific questions about a pretty rare DAC which had zero threads / reviews anywhere (and may well now be out of production) when there a thousands of perfectly adequate DACs out there for any price you choose. But I guess we will never know. Now wind your neck in.

EDIT- I found informations- on zee google . Lots of component names and numbers to excite. And some measures !

Knock me down with a feather! Its an overpriced but decently performing DAC- who wudda thunk it!

Last edited:

fabien32

And yet, I have actually done something useful and tagged an SMSL rep with the actual questions asked. What have you done today to make you feel proud?

Im still confused why the OP decided to ask very specific questions about a pretty rare DAC which had zero threads / reviews anywhere (and may well now be out of production) when there a thousands of perfectly adequate DACs out there for any price you choose. But I guess we will never know. Now wind your neck in.

EDIT- I found informations- on zee google . Lots of component names and numbers to excite. And some measures !

Knock me down with a feather! Its an overpriced but decently performing DAC- who wudda thunk it!

Good for you

whydan

hello there

Seems this old post just finished some argument, let me share some information from my side.
I wrote a teardown review of VMV D2 as below, it's a chinese article cause I am not an english speaker.
Link

Quick view for VMV D2
1. build quality is great, I like the chassis design and power design with separated toroidal transformer.
2. sound quality is good, although the I/V OPA1612 and LPF OPA1611 are not my taste.
3. it can be better on voltage regulator even I don't know which LDOs used, so I just swap as LT3045/3094
4. the major concern is that SMSL only used half power of AK4499, but it seems not a big deal since measurement is good.

Hope you may get any from pictures, any question is welcome with limited response (sorry I may need to translate)

Last edited:

Chris PRaT

Plenty of worthwhile discussion in this thread ;)

4. the major concern is that SMSL only used half power of AK4499, but it seems not a big deal since measurement is good.

@whydan , thanks for sharing! My technical knowledge is limited, so would you mind helping me understand what you mean when you said in point 4. that SMSL is only using "half power of AK4499"? What does only half power mean?

Thanks ahead of time!

whydan

@whydan , thanks for sharing! My technical knowledge is limited, so would you mind helping me understand what you mean when you said in point 4. that SMSL is only using "half power of AK4499"? What does only half power mean?

Thanks ahead of time!
@Chris PRaT , please refer below full version datasheet from digikey, P.106 and P.110.
AK4499 provide 4 sets of L/R-CH output, which required 4pcs of dual OPA for I/V circuit., then combined into LPF circuit.

ALL SMSL AK4499 DAC only used 2pcs OPA for I/V and 1pc dual OPA or 2pcs single OPA for LPF.
That's why I called them half power of AK4499, not a big deal since AK4499 output current is really high.

neukrisz

Audio Company
I don't find any AC input voltage switch on my D2, so it can handle 100-240V AC, but it have toroidal transformers inside...
How can switch automatically the right voltage for the transformers???
I never saw similar before...

Any idea???

whydan

I don't find any AC input voltage switch on my D2, so it can handle 100-240V AC, but it have toroidal transformers inside...
How can switch automatically the right voltage for the transformers???
I never saw similar before...

Any idea???
well, D2 had already returned to my client so below information based on my memory so may not 100% correct.

SMSL used a wide range D2D IC XLSEMI XL1509-ADJ to step down to 5V for MCU, so no matter which AC input it will be safe for MCU.
I didn't see any voltage comparator(or maybe just one of those unknown marking IC), so they may use ADC to read current input voltage.
After voltage comparison, MCU will sent out a signal to switch relay to correct one between default 220V to 110V if needed.

I though that is a really smart control after traced design.

neukrisz

Audio Company
well, D2 had already returned to my client so below information based on my memory so may not 100% correct.

SMSL used a wide range D2D IC XLSEMI XL1509-ADJ to step down to 5V for MCU, so no matter which AC input it will be safe for MCU.
I didn't see any voltage comparator(or maybe just one of those unknown marking IC), so they may use ADC to read current input voltage.
After voltage comparison, MCU will sent out a signal to switch relay to correct one between default 220V to 110V if needed.

I though that is a really smart control after traced design.
Oh! Looks so smart!
So simplified: The default setting is 230V but if the output voltage isn't enough then it select automatically the 110V mode for the transformers.
Am I right?

Top Bottom