• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

NYfan2

Forum Donor
@Audiophonics are you doing the firmware update for Shenzenaudio in Europe?
Shenzen asked me to sent my SU-9 to France (I ordered it on Amazon).

JoostE

End user can't unless he can measure the unit.
We was able to modify firmware revision with an hex editor, but finally we said to ourselves that it was not for us to create a virtual revision, and could add more confusion.
So we are just adding a sticker on the unit.

We also think that they should have upgraded the version.

Just received my new SU9 from Audiophonics and can confirm there is a sticker on the box "version updated". I assume this is about this issue.

You guys are handling this like a champ :)

Addy

Just received my new SU9 from Audiophonics and can confirm there is a sticker on the box "version updated". I assume this is about this issue.

You guys are handling this like a champ :)
How a sticker look like please.

JoostE

How a sticker look like please.
White sticker with "version updated" on the inner box (so not the sleeve around the box).

It is probably not something that other vendors are going to have, so unless you ordered there, I wouldn't look for it.

Cajunchuck

I just took delivery of mine (ordered Tuesday from Amazon and sold by Shenzhen). I really wish there was some way to be assured it was an updated version. I bought it after I read the initial review here. Then I read the rest of the thread. Ugh. First post here BTW! Glad you guys are out there doing good things.

mycose

I really wish there was some way to be assured it was an updated version.

Welcome aboard!

Currently there's no way to tell if your device is indeed fixed or is a faulty unit (unless you had measurement gear, of course). However, if your unit was shipped directly from China by ShenzhenAudio chances are you got a good unit. What's its serial number?

Magnifico

Should be already updated from whar I´ve heard.
Send the Serial to your dealer...he should be able to check up on it.

beq1990

ShenzhenAudio sent me a replacement unit. The serial number of the new unit is DAC63164. I will measure the output of the DAC during the next days to confirm that it has the updated firmware.

MJG

What are the serial number ranges for which the fix has been made?

Last edited:

jimboaz

I just received a SMSL SU-9 from AMAZON. Question please for a current owner - when I go into the brightness subscreen I can toggle up-down the brightness of that subscreen with the triangle... but no matter where that is set the default main screen with the volume number (99 max) and streaming rate etc.. remains at the "normal" brightness and Does NOT dim... II'm not sure if that is OK or defective....?

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I just received a SMSL SU-9 from AMAZON. Question please for a current owner - when I go into the brightness subscreen I can toggle up-down the brightness of that subscreen with the triangle... but no matter where that is set the default main screen with the volume number (99 max) and streaming rate etc.. remains at the "normal" brightness and Does NOT dim... II'm not sure if that is OK or defective....?

I checked mine, when I dim the display in the brightness menu I have 5 steps from very bright till not very bright when I change a step I see the display dim so when I then return to the main display it is the same in brightness as set in the brightness menu (I hope my explanation is clear)

The lowest setting is still very good to see so I cannot dim to complete off.
If the display doesn't dim at all (also in the brightness menu) it is not good.

mycose

What are the serial number ranges for which the fix has been made?

Maybe @SHENZHENAUDIO could help us with this one? So we can avoid what happened with eBay sellers (they sold their defective L30 amps).

Here's a brief list of new S/N which I've taken from this thread and M500's thread:
  • DAC63164
  • DAC63137
  • DAC62252

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Maybe @SHENZHENAUDIO could help us with this one? So we can avoid what happened with eBay sellers (they sold their defective L30 amps).

Here's a brief list of new S/N which I've taken from this thread and M500's thread:
  • DAC63164
  • DAC63137
  • DAC62252
SU-9 or M500? I don't think these are correct SN for matching M500. Or email [email protected] for confirmation to see what favors we can provide.

mauricio69

Hello
My su-9 have sn DAC-63012 and shenzhen said-
Hi, your order item is the latest version, please do not worry about it.
Thanks
but cloris said-Thanks for reaching us, pls contact the seller for an upgrade or replacement, friend.
Thats bs

Addy

Hello
Thanks
but cloris said-Thanks for reaching us, pls contact the seller for an upgrade or replacement, friend.
Thats bs
I can wait until software new revision have updated.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello
Thanks
Thats bs
How many more fumbles is SMSL gonna have on this? Clearly bitching on a forum doesnt get it fixed all that is left is voting with our wallet. I feel bad for everyone affected. I will never buy from them ... ever.

Top Bottom