• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-8 or SP200

ryan_beastall

I have been looking at both the SH-8 and the SP200 headphone amps. I have the SU-8 as my main dac and have a darkvoice 336se currently but want a solid state amp (don't want to wait for my tube amp to warm up anymore). I have looked into both and it seems the SP200 is the better option with the THX tech but just seeing if anyone has had experience with both and which would be better. Headphones are Hifiman he4xx and sundara, Sennheiser 58x and fidelio x2.

SnowRang3r

Just get the SP200, measures well and lots of power. Some units have pretty poor channel balance with the volume knob before 11-12o'clock but you can just limit the volume on your DAC and keep it higher on the AMP.

Paperdragons

The SP200 doesn't measure that much better from the XLR but has a better single ended. One thing to consider is that the difference is so minimal I suspect you may be happier with the SH8 based on the uniformity of design alone. Both of these amps are pretty overkill for the headphones you list which can all be driven off 25% the power of the SH8. The actual differences are sub-audible besides the power output being much higher on the SP200. Further, the SP200 has some common channel imbalance issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom