• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

fluxcapacitor

How does sa300 compare to PM8006? Have you tried it in living room setup?
Didn't compare it yet but i assure you SA300 sounds serious.

Here are a few photos of the baby

Attachments

• stack1 (Copy).jpg
    stack1 (Copy).jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 531
  • stack3 (Copy).jpg
    stack3 (Copy).jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 540
  • stack4 (Copy).jpg
    stack4 (Copy).jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 589
  • stack5 (Copy).jpg
    stack5 (Copy).jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

ceausuc

I also like it a lot. I bought one mainly for the remote control and bluetooth input (for casual listening).
Well... I did not expect such nice sound for this money. My TPA3250 FX-AUDIO with upgraded opamps sounded like a toy next to it - even with modest speakers: q audio concept 20.

I hope for a version of this amp with true balanced input and 2 chips - one for each channel to double the power.

fluxcapacitor

I also like it a lot. I bought one mainly for the remote control and bluetooth input (for casual listening).
Well... I did not expect such nice sound for this money. My TPA3250 FX-AUDIO with upgraded opamps sounded like a toy next to it - even with modest speakers: q audio concept 20.

I hope for a version of this amp with true balanced input and 2 chips - one for each channel to double the power.
I'd recommend you to get a quality power supply for SA300, with stock adapter, it sound thin-harsh.
Dual chips mean a lot more money :) it's really surprising how small chip amps achieve such sound nowadays.

Vladetz

MA12070 actually has 4 channels of amplification, so it is possible to make truly balanced amplifier with single chip

I'm currently using FX audio 502s pro (TPA 3250 with stock op-amps - same as yours previous amp) and going to upgrade to da-8s or maybe to da-9 if it will cost under 250$

ceausuc

MA12070 actually has 4 channels of amplification, so it is possible to make truly balanced amplifier with single chip

I'm currently using FX audio 502s pro (TPA 3250 with stock op-amps - same as yours previous amp) and going to upgrade to da-8s or maybe to da-9 if it will cost under 250$

balanced input would be good. 3db more from the dac.
but 2 times more power what would be really nice! of course if the price would not be double also :)

DA-9 should be in the 300-400 range... I hope it will have a small ncore inside :)

ceausuc

I'd recommend you to get a quality power supply for SA300, with stock adapter, it sound thin-harsh.

Thanks but at the moment I'm not interested into spending more money for this system - it is rarely used. When/if that will change... I would start with speakers :)

Ah, and Allo Audio promised a TPA3255 amp that measures as good as the best ncore's... will see if they will deliver :)

However, it's great to have such good sound for so little money these days.

Vladetz

balanced input would be good. 3db more from the dac.
but 2 times more power what would be really nice! of course if the price would not be double also :)

DA-9 should be in the 300-400 range... I hope it will have a small ncore inside :)
We usually have same power output with rca and xlr because preamp has lower gain on balanced input

koopie

Dual chips mean a lot more money :) it's really surprising how small chip amps achieve such sound nowadays.

Sorry, I am a complete newbie. Would you mind providing a link to where I could purchase a better power supply for the SA300 please?

fluxcapacitor

Sorry, I am a complete newbie. Would you mind providing a link to where I could purchase a better power supply for the SA300 please?
Hello,
Original one is a complete crap power supply, whatever you can buy will be better than original one.
I bought meanwell smps 24V 8.8A part number LRS-200-24KO, it has a lot better components inside of it, than original smsl power supply. I also modified it with audio grade capacitors attached is the latest photo (both original and meanwell i modified)...It has Voltage fine tuning dial, it can give more than 26V if you need, people here recommend at 26V with high current psu to use amplifiers full potential.

With new powersupply, there's no whining as i heard with original psu at all volume levels, wişth new psu ear close to speaker, its very very silent at maximum, and sound is clearly warmer with new power supply.

Meanwell SMPS modified (Copy).jpg
smsl power supply.jpg

koopie

Hello,
Original one is a complete crap power supply, whatever you can buy will be better than original one.
I bought meanwell smps 24V 8.8A part number LRS-200-24KO, it has a lot better components inside of it, than original smsl power supply. I also modified it with audio grade capacitors attached is the latest photo (both original and meanwell i modified)...It has Voltage fine tuning dial, it can give more than 26V if you need, people here recommend at 26V with high current psu to use amplifiers full potential.

With new powersupply, there's no whining as i heard with original psu at all volume levels, wişth new psu ear close to speaker, its very very silent at maximum, and sound is clearly warmer with new power supply.

View attachment 102115View attachment 102116

Ah... this seems a bit complex for me. I can find the same power supply on Amazon, but would you mind explaining how exactly I can do the replacement? Do I need to solder anything, or is it simply unscrewing some things?

fluxcapacitor

Ah... this seems a bit complex for me. I can find the same power supply on Amazon, but would you mind explaining how exactly I can do the replacement? Do I need to solder anything, or is it simply unscrewing some things?
yes, you need to de-solder and solder capacitors, however if you dont know it, you dont need to change because stock capacitors are also good, they were Rubycon, 3x 35V 470uf for filtering. Also, transformer and other components are good ones, just buy and use it with stock. Ypu'll need a power cord for it's output cable, i cut cable from smsl adapter and screwed it to meanwell, very simple.

koopie

yes, you need to de-solder and solder capacitors, however if you dont know it, you dont need to change because stock capacitors are also good, they were Rubycon, 3x 35V 470uf for filtering. Also, transformer and other components are good ones, just buy and use it with stock. Ypu'll need a power cord for it's output cable, i cut cable from smsl adapter and screwed it to meanwell, very simple.

Thank you for the very comprehensive advice! I think I am ready to purchase the power supply, but could you please just explain one last thing? Would you be able to describe exactly how to cut the power cable and screw it onto the new power supply? Does that require any special tools?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!

fluxcapacitor

Thank you for the very comprehensive advice! I think I am ready to purchase the power supply, but could you please just explain one last thing? Would you be able to describe exactly how to cut the power cable and screw it onto the new power supply? Does that require any special tools?

Sorry if these are dumb questions!
never mind dude,
just cut with a knife from ending side to get as long as you can, there will be red and black cable inside the power cord, remove their insulations and on the meanwell psu, there are +V and -V screw terminals you'll see in the photos, with a screw driver, unscrew locks, insert wires from power cord, red cable will go to +V, black cable to -V then screw again, thats it. Also you have to prepare another cable for 220V AC input for power supply, this time there are no +- polarisation. One wire for N, one wire for L and one for grounding.
photos will explain better,

V+ V- you'll screw power cord of smsl power supply, ( 3 screws for each polarisation , they're all same, just use anyone you want)

L N screws will be for AC power cable from the wall.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 510
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

fluxcapacitor

anybody could open front case of SA300 ? like the attached photo, i need to know how to open...I removed backplate and inside of it, i can see some points in deepest area, behind of front case but they doesn't seem to be any type of screw...anybody knows how to open? I'll change Nichicon FW ones with Nichicon Gold Tune and add some Nichicon MUSE series to the board.Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0110D (1).jpeg
    IMG_0110D (1).jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 444

Toku

Major Contributor
anybody could open front case of SA300 ? like the attached photo, i need to know how to open...I removed backplate and inside of it, i can see some points in deepest area, behind of front case but they doesn't seem to be any type of screw...anybody knows how to open? I'll change Nichicon FW ones with Nichicon Gold Tune and add some Nichicon MUSE series to the board.Thanks.
To remove the front panel, you must remove the two screws inside the glass panel that covers the display.
The glass panel is glued to the front aluminum panel, and to remove it, heat the glass panel with a hair dryer and carefully peel it off.
It's the same work as removing the glass panel of the iPhone. Skill is required to peel it off cleanly.
I do not recommend doing such work.

fluxcapacitor

To remove the front panel, you must remove the two screws inside the glass panel that covers the display.
The glass panel is glued to the front aluminum panel, and to remove it, heat the glass panel with a hair dryer and carefully peel it off.
It's the same work as removing the glass panel of the iPhone. Skill is required to peel it off cleanly.
I do not recommend doing such work.
thanks a lot for this information, i spent hours to figure it out....I will find a cell phone repairer technician to open it up.What a stupid assembly method, if i had known this before, i'd not buy this amp.

NgtFlyer

thanks a lot for this information, i spent hours to figure it out....I will find a cell phone repairer technician to open it up.What a stupid assembly method, if i had known this before, i'd not buy this amp.

To be fair, these things aren't designed to be opened by the consumer. Also, changing out components with other ones of the exact same value will do zero for performance. They used Nichicon audio capacitors in the analog circuit. It has been long proven that using components of the same value but different lines makes no difference in performance. May slightly improve lifespan if going from 85c parts to 105c parts. The circuit was designed and has been proven in tests to perform very well. The only difference you might "hear" would be generated by confirmation bias.

I have an SA300 and a pair of rather picky ears. It is a blessing and a curse, really. Driving a pair of Phase Technology t2.5 bookshelf speakers, the amp sounds quite good. Better, in fact, than the older Onkyo receiver that it replaced. My recommendation is to leave it and enjoy your music on it as it is with the better power unit that you have.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I'm sure changing out the parts in this little amp isn't gonna change a thing, its not like its gonna be a old sansui. Before I would dive into changing out components, I would do the basics first like. Shorter rca cables, Pure copper speaker cables, outside dac, Budge power conditioner, etc.

fluxcapacitor

I'm sure changing out the parts in this little amp isn't gonna change a thing, its not like its gonna be a old sansui. Before I would dive into changing out components, I would do the basics first like. Shorter rca cables, Pure copper speaker cables, outside dac, Budge power conditioner, etc.
yeah did these basics but i've some higher grade caps, can't stop myself to change them but that damn glued display thing stopped me :)

fluxcapacitor

To be fair, these things aren't designed to be opened by the consumer. Also, changing out components with other ones of the exact same value will do zero for performance. They used Nichicon audio capacitors in the analog circuit. It has been long proven that using components of the same value but different lines makes no difference in performance. May slightly improve lifespan if going from 85c parts to 105c parts. The circuit was designed and has been proven in tests to perform very well. The only difference you might "hear" would be generated by confirmation bias.

I have an SA300 and a pair of rather picky ears. It is a blessing and a curse, really. Driving a pair of Phase Technology t2.5 bookshelf speakers, the amp sounds quite good. Better, in fact, than the older Onkyo receiver that it replaced. My recommendation is to leave it and enjoy your music on it as it is with the better power unit that you have.
thanks for your advices, i'll keep them in my mind..thanks again for glue clue :)

Top Bottom