• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SA300 / Infineon Class D

Ausghostdog

Just had mine arrive, sad it doesn't show rcok :(, have my Topping D90 feeding it via RCA, and it is powering my Revel m105s and sves pb1000, seems to be doing good so far. Though I will be replacing it once my a800s arrive at the end of the month.

Toku

Major Contributor
Just had mine arrive, sad it doesn't show rcok :(, have my Topping D90 feeding it via RCA, and it is powering my Revel m105s and sves pb1000, seems to be doing good so far. Though I will be replacing it once my a800s arrive at the end of the month.
"RCOK" is displayed only for the initial lot.
The current product will be corrected for mistakes and will be displayed correctly with the "ROCK" spelling.

Neven

Hi all, I received my unit today and I noticed that the bass control is acting strange. When I go to +10dB right speaker is much louder then the left, and vice versa, when I go to -10dB the left speaker is much louder then the right one. What can be the cause of that?

When the EQ is at "direct" both speakers are fine, they are outputting the same level.

And it spells RCOK as well, but I don't mind that, above issue is bothering me.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi all, I received my unit today and I noticed that the bass control is acting strange. When I go to +10dB right speaker is much louder then the left, and vice versa, when I go to -10dB the left speaker is much louder then the right one. What can be the cause of that?

When the EQ is at "direct" both speakers are fine, they are outputting the same level.

Tone control is performed on the electronic volume JRC NJW1194 chip. So there may be a problem with the firmware because this chip is defective or your SA300 is an early model.
It's a good idea to email SMSL directly.

Neven

Thanks for the reply. I contacted them through the aliexpress platform from which I bought the item.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

You must've gotten an early batch. Before I returned my SA300 they fixed the rock eq name.

Neven

That's a shame, because I really like how they sound with the QAcoustics 3020 speakers.

NgtFlyer

I'd return the unit for exchange, sounds like you got not only an early one but yours is defective.
I will try this on mine (a later production unit) and see if it behaves the same tonight. I just have it on Direct and it sounds great with the Phase Technology speakers it drives.

Neven

5A58D8C6-CFC3-41C3-A8B4-7F865A1A9E33.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

Neven

Yeah I'm quite shocked by their responses. And they make audio equipment exclusively. I will be asking for a partial refund for sure. I only have their amp atm sadly so I'm kinda stuck with it.

NgtFlyer

I just tried this with my SA-300. I have a later unit that has ROCK properly spelled. When I turned bass up, it increased equally in both channels.

Neven

I just tried this with my SA-300. I have a later unit that has ROCK properly spelled. When I turned bass up, it increased equally in both channels.
Thanks for trying it out. I opened a dispute on aliexpress for a partial refund.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Thanks for trying it out. I opened a dispute on aliexpress for a partial refund.
Mistake, you should return it and get something that works properly. Surely you can live without the system for a few weeks? You will never be satisfied now that you know the problem is there and you will sooner rather than later be replacing the flawed unit.

NgtFlyer

I'd definitely look to get the current model. Recommend ordering through Amazon.
Also, the SDB EQ setting is great for use with bookshelf speakers or to get a bit of a boost in the low/high end. Works much like a Loudness button.

Neven

Mistake, you should return it and get something that works properly. Surely you can live without the system for a few weeks? You will never be satisfied now that you know the problem is there and you will sooner rather than later be replacing the flawed unit.
That's a good point. However the problem is VAT and import fees. I already payed $45, if they send a replacement I would have to pay $45 again, plus I need to ship them this one and that is $35. So that would be $125 almost the value of the actual device.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That's a good point. However the problem is VAT and import fees. I already payed $45, if they send a replacement I would have to pay $45 again, plus I need to ship them this one and that is $35. So that would be $125 almost the value of the actual device.
Really, even if the reason for a return is the item is defective? That would really suck. I didn't realize that. I wonder if the customs declarations clearly showed the new item was a replacement if the same levies would apply? It seems very wrong to collect tax and duties twice, almost like double jeopardy in the US legal system where you cannot be charged twice for the exact same crime.

Anyway, now I better understand why a partial refund would be acceptable to you. Good luck however you go.

D

Deleted member 18309

@amirm has quite a backlog. My SA300 is set to go, just need to get it out so it can get in line to be reviewed. I have another DAC + small amp I can use in its place while it is out.

Hi there! Did you manage to send the SA300 out? Just wondering since I was curious to see a review and haven’t found one in the months since this post. Not a complaint by any means - I appreciate everyone on this forum who offers up time and money for reviews!

NgtFlyer

Hi there! Did you manage to send the SA300 out? Just wondering since I was curious to see a review and haven’t found one in the months since this post. Not a complaint by any means - I appreciate everyone on this forum who offers up time and money for reviews!

I haven't.. yet. Offer is still open for @amirm to use my unit for a review. I need to figure out where I put the box though :p

I've been enjoying it for low volume listening at night in the bedroom. I'd be interested to see a review as well, but wonder if I'd be a bit disappointed if it measured poorly though.

Top Bottom