• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M7

Sunsetter

Has anyone done any testing, or seen any reviews on, the S.M.S.L. M7 DAC + headphone amp? I am planning on getting a Yamaha WXA-50 for my home office to replace the ancient, noisy Denon UD-M50 receiver (you can always hear the last-heard radio station in the background when on the AUX input, as well as a lot of hiss) that is currently hooked up to my computer. I want the Yamaha since I have two other Musiccast receivers in my house, but since the Yamaha doesn't have a headphone jack or a USB input (at least not one that you can plug your computer into), this device looks like it checks all of the boxes to sit in between my desktop computer and the Yamaha. But, I find it odd that there are no reviews of this I can find, particularly given that there are SMSL DAC products that are well-reviewed on this site and elsewhere.

I am new to this site and am finding it very interesting - would be great to see an analysis of the M7 here!

Tks

Major Contributor
Not surprising seeing as how the device is over a half a decade old.

cursive

Forum Donor
The M7 looks interesting, but I don't think it's ever been measured. I see a couple of subjective type youtube reviews on the device, but that makes it very hard to compare directly against other units.

If you're looking for a well measuring all in one dac + headphone amp, I would suggest you look at the Topping DX3 Pro. It's got known great performance and measurements, and has been reviewed here on ASR for quite some time. It performed so well at the time it's what Amir compares a lot of other dacs to performance wise. It also has much more output as a headphone amp vs the M7.

It is more expensive, I see the M7 at $211, and the DX3 Pro at $249, at least according to USA amazon.
It also has some niceties like a digital volume display, and remote control. I only see it available in silver right now for some reason, so hopefully that's acceptable.

OP
S

Sunsetter

The M7 looks interesting, but I don't think it's ever been measured. I see a couple of subjective type youtube reviews on the device, but that makes it very hard to compare directly against other units.

If you're looking for a well measuring all in one dac + headphone amp, I would suggest you look at the Topping DX3 Pro. It's got known great performance and measurements, and has been reviewed here on ASR for quite some time. It performed so well at the time it's what Amir compares a lot of other dacs to performance wise. It also has much more output as a headphone amp vs the M7.

It is more expensive, I see the M7 at $211, and the DX3 Pro at $249, at least according to USA amazon.
It also has some niceties like a digital volume display, and remote control. I only see it available in silver right now for some reason, so hopefully that's acceptable.

Yes, I did see the reviews on that one, but was just curious about the M7 vs the Topping since they seem like they stack up pretty closely on paper. I also just saw the review for the Loxjie D30, which tested out very well on this site and is only $170 on Amazon - that may be the winner.

cursive

Forum Donor
Yes, I did see the reviews on that one, but was just curious about the M7 vs the Topping since they seem like they stack up pretty closely on paper. I also just saw the review for the Loxjie D30, which tested out very well on this site and is only $170 on Amazon - that may be the winner.
I almost recommended the Loxjie as it does have really good measurements as well. Just be aware the Loxjie is it doesn't have near as much output power on the headphone amp. If your headphones don't need much power though, I'd probably choose the Loxjie above the others too, I like the way it looks too with the lcd screen.

Top Bottom