• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Driver Install Issue

hydra10

I got my DO100 yesterday and set it up on my PC (Windows 11) using the default Windows USB Audio 2 drivers - my first issue is that it wouldn't allow me to select anything for spatial audio; I use Dolby Atmos for headphones normally. When the DAC is in the USB Audio 2 setting, the spatial audio setting is greyed out and won't allow me to select anything. If I switch the DAC to USB1.1, then spatial audio works fine.

I went to SMSL's website and downloaded the driver they have for the DO100, but when trying to install it, I'm getting an error that "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed." I've tried basic troubleshooting to no avail. I've reached out to Aoshida Audio and am awaiting their response.

Has anyone else encountered this issue when trying to install USB Audio 2 drivers in Windows?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try running the installer in administrative mode, right click over it and the menu should have the choice. Usually that will overide any access error.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The best thing you can do is not use Windows 11. It's a really terrible operating system with tons of bugs and horrible inbuilt tracking.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What do you mean ?
What I mean is that Ms tracks 100% of what you do on W11. Even with shutup10 there is more tracking. Through the use of the TPM they can control what software you use and what they do and don't like.. It's a slippery slope of control but they could decide when your pc is "outdated", lift files from your machine, brick your computer and other stuff.
W11 is bad news.

nsfgp

Have 4 Win11 systems ... none of them has TPM and none of them qualifies to run Win11 per Microsoft :p

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Have 4 Win11 systems ... none of them has TPM and none of them qualifies to run Win11 per Microsoft :p
Sure you can use the installer trick. You still can't remove the tracking from the kernel. Only disable the rest with shutup10.
Why even waste time with such a pile of shit?

nsfgp

Sure you can use the installer trick. You still can't remove the tracking from the kernel. Only disable the rest with shutup10.
Why even waste time with such a pile of shit?
Forgot to tell you one of my W11 system is running on a 2012 Mac Mini without any trace of Apple software left inside :p
You can educate more people on a W11 thread somewhere on this forum (forgot where) I am sure.
Let's focus back on the DO100.

Graham849

Forum Donor
What I mean is that Ms tracks 100% of what you do on W11. Even with shutup10 there is more tracking. Through the use of the TPM they can control what software you use and what they do and don't like.. It's a slippery slope of control but they could decide when your pc is "outdated", lift files from your machine, brick your computer and other stuff.
W11 is bad news.
and that's why only wifi is off. Any programs I need are installed via USB stick. Internet connectivity - who needs it.

OP
H

hydra10

Well this thread got off track quickly haha

I tried running the installer with admin privileges, I started the installer service manually, I unregistered and re-registered Windows installer, but nothing worked. I was able to install the driver on my laptop just fine, but nothing I did would get it to install on my desktop.

I finally split up my C drive partition today, created a new volume, and just did a clean Windows 11 install - that finally did the trick. Unfortunate that I couldn't figure out a fix, but I suppose the nuclear option will have to do in this case. The one small thing I can take from this is that it doesn't appear that Windows 11 was the issue, just something about my environment that was upsetting the driver installer.

Scrufboy

Well this thread got off track quickly haha

I tried running the installer with admin privileges, I started the installer service manually, I unregistered and re-registered Windows installer, but nothing worked. I was able to install the driver on my laptop just fine, but nothing I did would get it to install on my desktop.

I finally split up my C drive partition today, created a new volume, and just did a clean Windows 11 install - that finally did the trick. Unfortunate that I couldn't figure out a fix, but I suppose the nuclear option will have to do in this case. The one small thing I can take from this is that it doesn't appear that Windows 11 was the issue, just something about my environment that was upsetting the driver installer.
My install went OK until restart. Windows then reported a missing DLL. Then the DAC was basically MIA. I had to roll back to the windows drivers. XMOS says that the windows USB 2.0 drivers are sufficient. The DAC sounds great... But. Only 32 bit 384kHz... No 768kHz. I think I need to do another clean install myself.

Scrufboy

My install went OK until restart. Windows then reported a missing DLL. Then the DAC was basically MIA. I had to roll back to the windows drivers. XMOS says that the windows USB 2.0 drivers are sufficient. The DAC sounds great... But. Only 32 bit 384kHz... No 768kHz. I think I need to do another clean install myself.
I got it to work, but I already returned that DAC.

Adaboy4z

Same thing happened on my Windows 10 laptop missing DLL. Installed the smsl driver for the P0100 DAC and the DAC disappeared. Uninstalled the driver, unplugged the DAC and it came back. It works fine now.

Top Bottom