• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 336 89.8%

• Total voters

Jim Anderson

Thanks, the Apple USB-to-USB C is different from the same type of cable supplied by SMSL ? That didn't work, nor 2 new similar cables from Amazon...My iMAC is an older version, maybe it has something to do with ? It looks like some other folks didn't have issues using the newer Macbooks. I can try a hub, but it will be nice to know that it will work before buying it...

gersones

I don't know if this is useful information for new buyers or not, but it's an issue I've been noting and wanted to share with you:

Everytime I was listening to music while SMSL D-6s connected as my laptop's DAC, after some while the audio starts to glitch (seems like some kind of interference) and just disconnects itself from the laptop (the D-6s interface disappears from Windows' audio interfaces list). Then I had to use the remote and roll the modes again (bt, Opt, Coa, USB) to make it connect and continue using it.

Today I change the original cable (USB Type C to USB Type A) connected in a "USB 3.2 Gen1" (my laptop's manual/guide) - 5Gbps - to a USB Type C to Type C cable and connected it to my laptop's USB 3.2 Gen2 (10Gbps) port.

I'm listening to, maybe, 20th song in a row without any issues.

I'm no audio expert/pro but I note a difference in the audio coming out of my speakers while connected via Opt (from my TV/monitor) or USB, so I just wanted to share this with you.

Regards
Ok forget about post #435.
I just found out that my laptop USB connectors (yes, "luckily", both my usb ports type A and C seems to be defective).
My intentions were just to warn new buyers to change the cable/port but luckily my laptop is still on warranty.

Toku

Major Contributor
Ok forget about post #435.
I just found out that my laptop USB connectors (yes, "luckily", both my usb ports type A and C seems to be defective).
My intentions were just to warn new buyers to change the cable/port but luckily my laptop is still on warranty.
From my experience please try the following:

From the power options, go to "Advanced Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Settings" and select "Disable".

See how this changes your symptoms.

gersones

From my experience please try the following:

From the power options, go to "Advanced Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Settings" and select "Disable".

See how this changes your symptoms.
Thanks @Toku but I think it's a hardware problem because this intermittence also occurs in Linux (and I still don't know how to disable the "selective suspend settings" in Linux, that is, if it's activated by default).

Esprit

Forum Donor
It's unbelievable that this DAC is priced at only 150 dollars, considering the amazing sound quality it delivers.
How do you get DSD512.
Here it does not go beyond DSD256.
What are your settings?
Thank you

gersones

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
But your statement "you don't run into any meaningful resolution loss until you reduce the signal into the noise floor, which on this DAC is basically SOTA" is too simplified and too optimistic.
What do I get, what do I lose, since I can't turn the DAC volume up above the number "40"?

alecm

How do you get DSD512.
Here it does not go beyond DSD256.
What are your settings?
Thank you
What specific settings are you referring to? Could you please clarify?

The DAC fully supports DSD512, which is evident from the photo displayed. The connection is established via USB.

Path: Macbook -> Audirvana Studio ( Upsample from 44 -> DSD512 ) -> Upnp Albumplayer (raspberrypi) -> USB SMSL D6S.

bogi

Thanks for your playlist but Tidal only offers me FLAC HD (MAX) files among those.

That's what I want to see till end of my life!
Why are you searching content from a dead company with £1 intellectual property?

index.php

Labels didn't want to provide you unencrypted lossless content, that's the full story in short about failed MQA. They attempted to mask it with their propaganda.
FLAC means true lossless and true hires content, DSP possibility in any player without resolution loss, no need of proprietary content decoding in software player, no license fees for decoding in hardware - because no decoding is needed. What do you want more? You can buy blue led separately if you want it to shine...

Esprit

Forum Donor
Path: Macbook -> Audirvana Studio ( Upsample from 44 -> DSD512 ) -> Upnp Albumplayer (raspberrypi) -> USB SMSL D6S
Path: Macbook -> Audirvana Studio ( Upsample from 44 -> DSD256* ) -> USB SMSL D6S

*The maximum value that Studio allows me to choose.

bogi

What do I get, what do I lose, since I can't turn the DAC volume up above the number "40"?

If you need -40dB digital volume level for full volume listening, it means you are using an amp with too high gain for your loudspeaker setup.
-40 dB means loss of almost 7 bits of resolution.
A simplified example for -42 dB: With 24 bit recording and DAC resolution of 20 bits, only upper 20 bits of those 24 are usable.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnxxxx
Now when you lower volume by -42 dB, it means shifting those 20 bits right by 7 bits, so you get 7 leading zeroes. It means 13 bits of resolution are remaining within DAC resolution from 24 bit recording.
0000000nnnnnnnnnnnnnxxxxxxxxxxx

You could either
- use an amp with less gain
or
- set digital volume to 0dB in DAC and use an analog preamp behind DAC to tune listening volume as you want

Analog preamp retains dynamic range since noise is also attenuated. That's difference against digital attenuation, since digital quantization noise remains constant within the same bit resolution.
Preamp can be active or passive if you need only attenuation.
Example of passive one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/

Top Bottom