• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMD Amp Dyno?

paddycrow

Forum Donor
In my search for an amp for my passive subwoofers, I stumbled on this Williston Audio Labs guy on YouTube. He uses an SMD Amp Dyno to evaluate the max power claims of various OEMs. Unfortunately, he mostly concentrates on automotive and a few pro audio products.

My question for you EEs out there who are familiar with this tool- are these good measurements?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am not familiar with this equipment but I have watched many of the big dummie videos. It's great for what it is. It's not for HIFI. But you can test the rated power and etc. And distortion shouldn't be too audible under 1%. I has always been wondering how would the amplifiers measure on an APx555. I wouldn't be surprised if you can find a few with nice amount of power and distortion under 0.1%.

OP
paddycrow

paddycrow

Forum Donor
He is pretty funny! And I don't doubt that there is a fair amount of dishonesty in the industry when it comes to advertised power (just like the auto industry).

Top Bottom